Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brake help!
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Following a long journey with just the frame on a car rack, I’ve just tried to reattach the wheels. The gap between the brake pads to slot the disk in has completely closed up on the front and rear brake and there is nowhere to for the disc to go.

I have tried fiddling with the levers put to no avail. They seem to be stuck and so am I!

eshershore
    Free Member

This often happens by mistake when wheels are removed and you manhandle the bike, accidentally grabbing brake levers

try using an old credit card to spread the pads a little, then a plastic cake spatula (anything thin and plastic is ideal)

failing that carefully use a kitchen knife (the traditional type which is flat and non serrated), you may cause some edge damage to the disc brake pads, but should be able to push the pads apart and the pistons home

in future, its good practise to install disc brake pad spacers (you can often get them from local bike shop for biscuits!), or failing that, just some thick card and a zip tie or toe strap to stop it falling out in transit.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Ah, great stuff I’ll give that a go.

I just hope I haven’t done a damage messing about with the levers.

eshershore
    Free Member

@eightyeight

I doubt you’ve done any damage

all that has happened is that you have reduced the volume of brake fluid in the master cylinder (brake lever) by allowing the brake caliper pistons to close, without any disc brake rotor being present

when you reset the caliper by pushing the pistons home, all you are doing is pushing that displaced fluid back up into the master cylinder

it might be worth having a look at your brake levers after sorting your brakes, to make sure you have the reach adjust (distance between lever blade and handlebar), and pad contact adjuster (dead stroke adjuster i.e. how far you pull the lever before the brake works) in the right place, assuming your brake has these adjustments.

Many budget brakes will have the reach adjuster (sometimes a twiddable knob, often an allen key fitting), its generally the more expensive brakes that have pad contact or dead stroke adjusters

Northwind

I use a humungous useless screwdriver that I pinched off my dad- you know the sort, can’t put a screw in with it, but ideal for taking the lids of paint cans? Anyway, it’s the ideal size and shape to spread pads. First of all against the backing plates to open the gap, then very gently on the friction material, being careful not to scrape them or spread them unevenly. It’s probably quite easy to damage the pads doing this but if you’re careful it’s fine.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I used a plastic car scraper in the end and worked a treat.

They’re avid elixr 7 (i think) so it does have a reach adjustor. When you turn the rubber connector between the hose and the lever blade is that the bit adjusting the contact?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brake help!’ is closed to new replies.