Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Brake choices
  • anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

Hi.

Im a little stuck as to what brakes and rotor size to go for.

My first thought was hope tech evo m4 but im not sure and cant get a desisive answer if the V2 would provide more power? answers seem to conflict here.

Secondly, what rotor size is best. i thought it was more about rotational breaking with a lager disc and was going to go for 203 on F&R but again ansers here seem to conflict. i weigh about 13 stone @ 5.11 tall. would this combo be too much?

I really would appreciate any help here.

Ant

johnners
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re prioritising power over everything else – why’s that?

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, with such a high cost i dont want to get it wrong and end up regreting the spending the money. what other factor are there? im a bit of a novice to moding my bike. i have always brought them built before.

I am going for hope because of their reputation, reliability and support avaliable

ashfanman
    Free Member

The new Shimano SLX/XT brakes have been pretty popular on here of late. There were some very cheap deals to be had at Rose Bikes, but not sure if that’s still the case. Certainly worth a look.

johnners
    Free Member

Most modern brakes will be more than good enough, but I think 203 F & R is overkill for any riding short of WC DH. Some frames won’t take 203R.

Shimano have great performance, reliability and price IMO. Other people my recommend something else based on their personal experience, prejudice or need for serviceability. If I was buying another set of brakes tomorrow they’d probably be SLX 180F 160R. I’m 14st.

mjsmke

I love the feel of Hayes Stroker Trails. Some say are wooden, but i love them.

The best advise i can give to you is try some of your mates bike with different brakes. I like hayes but a lot of people hate them. Likewise with any brand.

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

i see. so is there a huge difference between eother slx / xt / xtr or the hope range. there are so many options is kind of blinding and i can only be led by other experience.

I currently have hope mono minis and, lets say they work, but not as i want them to. i would like hard stopping power but with feel through the levers, not just an on off switch.

i went of the xtr because of price alone. seemed very dear once priced up. i have looked at the rose bikes site though and there are some good deals on the shimano kit that would probably come up cheaper too. price isnt my main concern though, getting it right is top of my wish list.

Northwind

There’s very few brakes out there now that lack power, especially if you stick dinnerplate rotors on. 203 on the rear is generally huge fat lad/incompetent brake-dragging downhiller territory, some folks do like the feel but very few folks need it.

Hope are good but don’t get tunnelvision, there are other brakes that perform just as well or better and cost drastically less. Few other companies can match them for spares availability, but then you’re not that likely to need spares with a quality brake. The warranty is good, but it’s not free.

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

so following on from Johnners post. if you were to buy a new set of brakes tomorrow for you all round use DH & trail what set up would you get. its going on a my full suss.

Northwind

Money no object I’d have Formula The Ones, they’re fantastic. But also too expensive.

SLX or Formula Oro would be my choice, taking price into consideration.

martymac

i recently put a 203 rotor on my full susser, a noticable upgrade from the 180 on previously.
    i use slx brakes.
    on my other bike i have 160 rotors front and rear, deore brakes, and i have experienced fade when stopping from 35 mph on a fire road.
    i reckon a lighter rider than me (23 stone) would be fine on 160 front and rear, and a 180 front should give absolutely loads of power.
    imo shimano brakes are fine, but i would avoid hayes like the plague.

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

cheers for the help guys. i have just popped out to the bike and nremembered it has the specialized brain at the back too so it looks like ill be limited on size there anyway.

i have heard read alot of bad press about hayes, some good, but enough bad to rule them out with ease. i have also looked at the formula theone now too and 400 quid would be ok but it goes right up with rotors and brackets.

hope or shimano? i guess ill price up the options and go from there.

jimw
    Free Member

My recent experience for what it is worth:

Bought some Hope Tech 2012 X2’s for my 29er build. Have proven to be powerful fade free and easy to set up but perhaps lacking in feel compared to either the Avid Elixir R’s on one bike or the new Shimano XT’s I have just put on another. The Avids are powerful and with plenty of feel but can occasionally experience a little fade on longer descents. The Shimanos have excellent feel and are very powerful with low lever pressures and seem fade free. Each have 180/183 rotors on the front the Avids and Hopes have 180/183 on the back, the shimanos 160 on the rear ( it’s a 10 yr old frame so won’t take anything bigger) and I am 13st 4

If everything were equal, price etc. I would probably go for the Xt’s if (when) I did another build.

pinder318
    Free Member

the stroker ace ive got have been spot on with 180,s. Another thing to look at is the discs, i went superlight weight at one stage and found the brakes werent as good. The hope and hayes discs seem to give the best results for me with semi metalic pads.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I fitted hope v2 to both my bouncy toy and my hardtail and I love them. I like a bigger rotor on the front and a smaller one on the rear so I ended up with 205/185 as they don’t make a floating 160 for the v2 otherwise 185/160 would have been fine. I find that the 185 rear is more than enough and have fitted sintered pads in the rear for a little less breaking bite.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’m only 10ish stone but use a 203mm front rotor. It is overkill for most of my riding, but on really long descents it is good to have.
    I ordered slx as they are great value, but when I got them they were already cosmetically damaged and looked a bit errr naff. I thought bollocks to it, sent them back and ordered hope m4 special editions.
    you might find this link useful, i did
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I fitted hope v2 to both my bouncy toy and my hardtail and I love them. I like a bigger rotor on the front and a smaller one on the rear so I ended up with 205/185 as they don’t make a floating 160 for the v2 otherwise 185/160 would have been fine. I find that the 185 rear is more than enough and have fitted sintered pads in the rear for a little less breaking bite.

This. 203/185 v2 with sintered Hope pads. I run this setup for trail riding, DH days, XC mincing and weeks in the Alps and Whistler. It always works and I don’t have to worry about it, so I enjoy my biking more 🙂

Danno72
    Free Member

I put Hope V2’s on my orange 5, 180 f&r and they are plenty enough power for me at 14.5 stone. Previous to these I had Formula oro bianco’s 205 fr and 160 r. The hopes have far better modulation and are a joy to bleed and work on compared to any other brake I’ve owned. Can’t fault them. Worth every penny.

watsontony
    Free Member

you sould like your after know what brake IS more powerfull. well i have found this might be of intrest.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/

Northwind

Danno72 – Member

I put Hope V2’s on my orange 5, 180 f&r and they are plenty enough power for me at 14.5 stone. Previous to these I had Formula oro bianco’s 205 fr and 160 r. The hopes have far better modulation and are a joy to bleed and work on compared to any other brake I’ve owned.

But then put this into perspective… The Oro’s an ancient (and long out of production) brake, which you can pick up new from the factory clearance shop, with rotors and hardware, both ends, for barely more than the price of one end’s worth of Tech V2s, no rotors. So damn right they should be better!

mrphil
    Free Member

Using Hope V2’s with 203 F and 183 R, with sintered pads.

Currently weigh 15st and they stop me very well.

Looks wise they are great but for me it is the design and machining involved that made me buy them in the first place.

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

so good info here. i think all things considered ill go for either the hope m4 or v2 – i need to find out what discs i can have on the fram because of the brain at the rear. i think ill go 180 f&r if that fits on the rear. cheers for the help and the links were especially good.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I find my v2 ones need less fiddling with than my older m4 to keep them drag free
    And v2 even with a smallish rotor has huge amounts of power , it is a dh brake after all

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope do a 160 trials disc that will work on the rear with a v2.

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

I have bitten the bullet and gone for the M4’s with 203 and 183 rotors.

If they prove too much then ill look at swapping to smaller discs.

I decided on them for many reason. british made, service, power etc

It came down to these or the V2 after a lot of consideration. thanks for everyone input. ill post the results when they come. have gone for custome colours from moonglu so will have to wait a week or so.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

anthonytenniswood – Member

I have bitten the bullet and gone for the M4’s with 203 and 183 rotors.

If they prove too much then ill look at swapping to smaller discs.

That exactly what I run, and I can’t fault them. More than enough power and great modulation, so you’ll have no trouble with the 203/183 combo

anthonytenniswood
    Free Member

brakes have arrived with moonglu they are going to set the line lenghts then post them over, maybe by tuesday! wheels will arrive then too, hope hubs with mavic 719’s

thedon
    Free Member

Don’t buy Shimano XT’s, I’ve had nothing but trouble with mine. The seals started leaking after two rides!! Good luck getting spares, I wish I never bothered.

You can’t go wrong with Hope, good choice.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I asked this question a few weeks ago.

I now have hope tech m4 with 203 180. They are really good. If you want your bike to look good then buy them. If this is of no interest, consider saving money and get SLX. By all accounts they work really well. Loads cheaper, but they look a bit naff.

I would recommend a 203mm rotor on the front. The shimano ice tech are good. My bike doesnt feel over braked. They provide effortless braking and great control. Bit of a **** to set up though, its got to be said. but now they are set up they are no hassle at all.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

tees or saints 2013. nothing else.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Brake choices’ is closed to new replies.