Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • Brake checked by a roadie
  • aracer
    Free Member

Just for clarity, I don’t think I would draft a stranger on busy streets – or certainly not anywhere near as closely as I would on quieter roads. Not that I would draft a stranger anywhere near as tightly as somebody I know, or on a club run/audax/sportive. I would also try and communicate my presence – if it was clear they were uncomfortable I would back off (or just accelerate and drop them 😉 )

It isn’t the same as tailgating a car though, because even on the recent club run I did where I hadn’t ridden with any of them before, I often sat very slightly offset – mainly so that I could see the hazards in front better, but also doing so allows you to avoid them if they do brake suddenly. Though even if you do sit right behind you can still see the hazards better than when tailgating in a car, and provided you’re not inches away you should still be able to avoid running into the back of them by moving slightly sideways, something which isn’t possible in a car. I’m actually kind of disappointed in you directly equating bike riding to car driving 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

So either riding offset or giving half a meter of space, not really “drafting” very effectively is it 😉

stumpy01

Roadying is so complicated!

Just do what I do & maintain such a slow average speed that everyone zooms past, without bothering to sit in my draft……

mrblobby
    Free Member

Roadying is so complicated!

🙂

It’s not really. If you want to ride an inch off a strangers back wheel then you need to ask as that person needs to know you’re there and ride accordingly (and also because it’s the polite thing to do.) And be prepared that they may not be happy for you to do so (for a multitude of possible reasons, none of which are your business to question.)

kerley
    Free Member

I’m actually kind of disappointed in you directly equating bike riding to car driving

sad fact is that those idiot drivers you see can also be cyclists and they will no doubt be relying on those same superhuman braking skills they think they have when driving 2 feet behind the car in front.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just do what I do & maintain such a slow average speed that everyone zooms past, without bothering to sit in my draft……

That options has been working for me for years.

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Brake checked by a roadie’ is closed to new replies.