• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Brake change
  • craigb2120
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a 2013 trek x caliber 29er

I want to change the brakes but am not sure what would be a straight swap or if I wanted to fit say hope what I need to buy to fit them (ie mounts)

Current brakes are

Brakeset
    Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes

Any words of wisdom appreciated …

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some Shimanos

spando
    Free Member

+1 for Shimano, heart wanted hopes but head bought XT’s and they are fantastic.

proflexforever
    Free Member

+1 for shimano…go for SLX cheaper and pretty much the same as XT

orangeboy
    Free Member

You may need to change the mounts Somtimes mix and match between brands works fine
    But they do not add much to the cost of a brake upgrade to get the matching ones

What size rotors have you got
    And for me hope evey time because I hate not being able to get spare parts for stuff

Northwind

What’s wrong with what you have? How would you like the new ones to feel?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

The only trouble with the Hope ones would be stopping.

Personally I’d go further up the Elixir range to 9’s or X’s

But Shimanos are idiot proof and good at stopping you too.

(Neither should require different mounts assuming you keep the same size rotors)

craigb2120
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for the reply .
    I am used to running better brakes these ones are not great.
    I did buy some used ones from eBay but bike shop said they cannot be fitted as we’re incompatible.
    Too old apparently
    I bought an m4 and a mono min no3 I think..

My bike I believe has post mount with a 20 spacer.

Rotors are a 160 and 180

Don’t want to buy the wrong ones again.

Bike shop told me any modern ones would fit..

Not sure if 29er size makes a difference too ?

watsontony
    Free Member

we’re incompatible.
    Too old apparently

my bike has the older style fittings are they for sale?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No difference at all. The only thing that is incompatible is the disc size if you have post mounts. Even then there are some +0 adapter out there just not normal kit.

Hopes are nice and despite what the shimano camp say plenty of power with good control. They will also last ages.

May be worth changing the discs anyway as some have less braking surface then others which makes a difference.

Northwind

Hope, Shimano and Formula won’t do you wrong. You might like Magura but they’re a bit weird. Avid might be alright or they might be an endless pain in the arris.

But the trouble with brakes is, it’s not all about power or quality, it’s about feel and no one brake suits everyone- if anyone tells you one brake is best, it’s useful as you now know their advice is all cobblers 😉 See if you can try some, lever feel is as varied as it is important.

craigb2120
    Free Member

They said the no3 cannot be fitted as there wasn’t a disc to go with it available
    Yes both brakes are for sale.

I just want to know what I can fit instead without buying new mounts

orangeboy
    Free Member

You used to be able to get “post to is” mount adaptors but not tried for a for a while
    Most of these would need to go up a disc size
    So 200 mm disc rather than the 180 disc the no.3 is Ment for

Seem to remember Somtimes it jut would not work
    Looks like hope still make there one
    https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1078374291549430650?q=post%20to%20is%20mount%20adapter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&sa=X&ei=wyAKUbyRLIXL0AXph4HwDw&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAw#hsec:overview

orangeboy
    Free Member

Opps
    That mount I linked to is the fit the mono mini to the fork
    I’m guessing you would want the m4 on the front and mini on the rear
    ?

igm

Billyblackheart – if you have any Hopes that don’t stop you then I’ll dispose of them for you. They stop me fine. Avids? Less so. But that’s just me.
    As an observation I’ve made before, Hopes seem to get a better reputation amongst heavier riders, rides that like modulation and riders that don’t think 200 discs work better for XC (they don’t – brakes need to be worked reasonably hard to be at their best).
    Light rides, who like an on-off feel, and run 200 front and rear on canal towpaths should look elsewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Brake change’ is closed to new replies.