Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake caliper piston lube
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I’ve got a sticky piston on some brand new Elixir’s (destroyed the inner pad in less than 50 miles!)

My research has shown people to be split between using Red rubber grease and silicone grease.

I have neither in my workshop so, which one gets the most votes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

used both I would go for the cheapest
    IIRC Using the brake fluid should work as well so worth a try given the cots , how much you have to buy and how little you need

Make sure you work the piston in and out as well after you have lubed it _ that was the least euphemistic i could make that sentence!

coatesy
    Free Member

The problem with using DOT fluid as a lube is that it’s corrosive when open to the atmosphere, and Avid calipers haven’t been noted for their corrosion resistance.Use a proper lube, such as Hunters silicone from your local plumbers suppliers.

Northwind

I use red rubber grease, because I’ve got a tub which I bought about 10 years ago which I’ll clearly pass down to my grandkids… But if you don’t already, then silicon grease probably makes more sense as it’s easier to find and more generally useful.

kimbers

im very impressed with red rubber grease, got a small tin (but will last for ages) for a few quid off ebay

Junkyard
    Free Member

want to swap the rubber grease for some copper slip grease that i will pass to my kids ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My research has shown people to be split between using Red rubber grease and silicone grease.

I have neither in my workshop so, which one gets the most votes?

I just clean and lube with whatever brake fluid the brake takes (DOT 5.1 for Avids) which seems to work every time for me. After all, that’s what’s doing the job on the inside of the calliper, int it? 🙂

EDIT
    Yes, corrosion issues – I wash it off afterwards.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never had amy problems just usi g dot fluid (or mineral oil on shimano). Its only corrosive as it contains water, so unless you dont ride in the rain it’ll have no adverse effect (appart from on paint). Any excess will wash of as soon as you ride through a puddle or wash the bike anyway, youre just trying to moisten the outside of the seal which ordineraly doesnt see any lubricating fluid.

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

want to swap the rubber grease for some copper slip grease that i will pass to my kids ?

I had to buy a second tub of copper grease- drove over the first one with my car 😳 making me the first diy spanner in history to ever have to buy 2.

nealy
    Free Member

Brand new brakes with sticky pistons?! Send them back

I had the same problem with a set of Elixir R’s and not amount of fettling with DOT oil, silicone oil or silicone grease made any difference. New piston and seal kit may fix it but shouldn’t need to do that on new brakes.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I use both!
    Grease if fitting the pistons (seal/piston change)
    Silicone lube to free up a piston as it “runs” round the piston and you can’t get the grease in the small gaps between piston and calliper.

Also as said above operate the pistons in and out as well.

Oh Hope use lube and Avid use the red grease, far as I know both are silicone base.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

If silicone grease is easier to apply round the whole piston, then I’ll get some of that.

I’m mindful that as they are new brakes, they shouldn’t be doing this and it could be a long term problem so I’ve contacted the company.

I’m sure I’ll use this stuff on other bikes and it seems pretty cheap on the net:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002KRHAK4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

belugabob
    Free Member

Brand new brakes with sticky pistons Avids?! Send them back

That’s what he meant to say 😉

Seriously, though, use the same type of fluid that is in the brakes, then wipe off any excess afterwards.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake caliper piston lube’ is closed to new replies.