Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Brake Bleed – Probable Leak
  • parkinpants
    Free Member

Evening,

Both front and back brakes have gone spongey. This wasn’t sudden, but gradual over 2-3 rides. (Avid Elixr 7)

Brake pads are fine. I’ve rebled both brakes quite a few times. After bleeding if I gently press the lever with the bleed block still in, it feels nice tight – so feels like job done. But, when I put the brake pads back in and pull the lever its spongey and after a few squeezes it loses all pressure. Not sure, but I think there is fluid leaking from the caliper.

Pretty sure it’s not the brake bleed process going wrong – I’ve had friend do it too with the same result.

I was going to buy a new piston/seal kit but thought best to ask here in case there’s any other diagnostics I should do. I wonder, for example, if the fact that both brakes went at virtually the same time is indicative of what the problem might be?

thanks

NormalMan

Can’t help thinking the best solution will come in a box marked Shimano.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I am guessing your brakes are 2010-2013? Sounds like you have the same problem as numerous other Avid Elixr owners. They are notoriously bad at holding pressure. I’ve never seen a solution to the problem other than replacing them. SRAM redesigned the Elixr brakes because of all the problems.

As Normal Man suggests replace them with something else – Shimano SLX or XT would be a good replacement.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Try bleeding with the pads and wheel in situ. This will allow you to get more fluid into the system and should result in a firmer feeling lever, assuming there is no air in there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Brake Bleed – Probable Leak’ is closed to new replies.