Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Brailsford, this is why
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Wrong pic ?

</confused>

Coyote
    Free Member

Nice one.

dawson

keep an eye out for that kid in 10~15 yrs time.

Nice one Sir Dave

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superb.

scotroutes

Thumbs up 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Class act.

keep an eye out for that kid in 10~15 yrs time.

i was just thinking that is one of those pictures that the press dredge up when someone goes on to win something big. Here’s hoping.

robdob
    Free Member

Any other countries want to know how we got so good at cycling? That’s why.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of time and effort by a lot of people and many years to get where we are now, but a lot of people think that money can buy everything you need for success. Yes it helps but you need the people too.

binners

Indeed! If you’ve not read this, its a truly fascinating read. How Brailsford and crew transformed British cycling from international laughing stock, to the powerhouse it is today.

benw
    Free Member

Sorry Binners but Chris’s Hoys book was the most boring cycling book I have ever read.I eventually put it down before finishing it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

It’s a family thing I reckon. DB’s dad was head of OE at Bangor Normal College when I was there. Scared the crap out of me at times but by god he could motivate you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah I reckon DB is saying ” shut up you stroppy little shit ” 😆

Matt24k
    Free Member

benw, I ordered the book in the time it took you to post. I hope binners likes the kind of book I like!
    That said someone on here recommended 150 Watts Of Awesome and it was complete toilet. I got about 30% of the way through it before the author wound me up to the point of deleting it from my Kindle.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Confused – all i see is someone pushing a house up hill?

beej

Benw – that’s not Chris Hoy’s book, it’s Richard Moore’s book about the transformation of British cycling.

benw
    Free Member

Whichever book it is ,I have the one in the foto and thought it was garbage and if someone wants it they only have to pay the postage and I will give it to them t.i like all forms of cycling and will happily sit there watching a dull flat boring road race all afternoon or anything else on two wheels but couldn’t find any entertainment in that book.

samuri
    Free Member

To be honest I found Wiggins book more insightful into the way Brailsford operates.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame that, I thought his book, “the dirtiest race in history”, was an excellent read and his articles are usually pretty good too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

And yet the British cycling budget has been cut for go-ride (youth)coaches and the number of coaches is dropping due to job cuts while money is being spent on ‘recreation’ not youth development and in-school competition. This is where your medal winners come from.
    But don’t let that get in the way of spin or sentiment.

scotroutes

Good

MSP

To be honest, I consider mass participation more important than medals.

large418
    Free Member

But medals help mass participation. They both support each other

MrSmith
    Free Member

But it was the medals that guaranteed the funding in the first place and resulted in the finding and development of young talent and the medal hauls of the last 2 Olympics, its those performances that are a key part of getting ordinary people on bikes.

crazy-legs

One drives the other though. Participation through inspiration is the motto.
    Win medals, people get inspired, want to do the same, you get more people riding and, assuming you’ve got the pathways correct, you can pick up the talented individuals from Youth/Junior level.

MrSmith
    Free Member

And a lot of that mass participation is non cyclists dragging their bike out the shed to ride a towpath on a bank holiday or a skyride before it goes back in the shed for another year, for a lot of people it’s tokenism. they are not cyclists but casual one-off consumers of some traffic free sunny idyl that they can dip into on a whim.

scotroutes

Good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

casual one-off consumers of some traffic free sunny idyl that they can dip into on a whim.

And maybe, just maybe, some of them will like that whim, will enjoy that ride. Then, some of that number will decide to ride more often.

It’s all good…! Let’s just keep getting more people to ride!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Good

I guess Halfords and GT85/WD40 think so too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who pissed on your chips?

More people riding bikes and enjoying it is a good thing. If it brings money in to the economy, all the better.

scotroutes

Aye. Attitudes like that remind me that I’ll never be a cyclist, just someone that rides bikes.

rOcKeTdOg

c’mon chaps, this was meant to be a positive upbeat thread

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RD, it is!

People riding bikes is an ACE thing!

See?

MSP

Nah, I consider myself a cyclist, but I am not a selfish cyclist, plenty of fun for everyone to join in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a lot of that mass participation is non cyclists dragging their bike out the shed to ride a towpath on a bank holiday or a skyride before it goes back in the shed for another year

so the “non cyclist” is cycling then on the bike they own

c’mon chaps, this was meant to be a positive upbeat thread

yes can they not save it for wheel size threads like what you do or perhaps Millar bashing on a MTB downhill thread 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

[/quote]Who pissed on your chips?

Nobody. Just offering a polar view on the Brailsford back-slapping because there’s a side of British cycling that to a lot of people is not apparent. I think it’s only fair that its pointed out that funding is being cut for grass roots cycling/youth when there is a high demand for it in and out of school time (the popularity is heavily influenced by those medal winners)
    Can’t say too much beyond what would be common knowledge to people involved in schools/cycle clubs youth development but it’s not all rosy in the world of cycling funding from sport England despite the current success.

mt
    Free Member

scotroutes you ride a bike then your are a cyclist whatever you think. fact. don’t argue you know its true whatever your view.

scotroutes

Noooooooooo!

cakefacesmallblock

One or two on here seem a little confused . :wink:I doubt the little fella Brailsford spoke with could care less right now about being a rider or a cyclist or….. Simple fact is he gave him time.

Northwind

TBH, I’m happier to see my member fees going towards support for new riders and grassroots,mass-appeal events, than getting flung at 2-wheeled greyhound racing that practically nobody actually does. But it does seem to be missing hte point of the thread a bit…

Euro
    Free Member

Is it Gary Glitter?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Brailsford, this is why’ is closed to new replies.