Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Braided Hoses
  • dmetcalfe
    Free Member

Anyone know where i can get braided hoses for hope minis at a decent price?

cheers
    Danny

Haze

Winstanleys were cheapest when I got mine a few weeks ago…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Do these really make any discernible difference? Seriously! If you were blindfolded could you win the Pepsi Challenge and tell whether your brake fluid was coursing through a braided hose or not?

Haze

Not for me.

Look very nice though 8)

coatesy
    Free Member

No need to buy a complete kit, just buy the hose off the roll from any Hope dealer, and replace the screw on part of the fitting with the correct version for braided hose(larger hole). Goodridge hose will also do the same job, but you'll still need the correct Hope fittings.

simon1975

Goodridge hose +1, and I re-used all my Hope fittings.

Admiralable
    Free Member

The Goodridge hoses. Do they come as a complete kit for front and rear or do you have to buy front and rear separately? Been looking at them this morning and some shops sell front and rear separately some the full kits but at the same sort of price. I want some for my M960 brakes.

MSP

I found the braided goodridge hoses marginally (but still noticeably) better than the non braided hoses on my hope mono mini's. But I would only recommend them as a replacement if new hose is required anyway, I don't think its worth the cash just as an upgrade.
    Now EBC red pads are an upgrade I will recommend to everyone.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

cheers, i cant seem to find anywhere selling braided off the reel. My hoses need replacing, so might as well upgrade, and they do make a difference, got braided on one bike and standard on the other.

njee20
    Free Member

They weigh far more, perhaps if you're a big chap riding in the Alps it makes sense, I couldn't tell any difference and certainly wouldn't bother again.

MSP

crc sells goodridge hose by the metre, but you will still need the goodridge fittings. Unless your run to the rear brake is particularly long still best to get the kit.

clubber
    Free Member

It makes no real world difference. It just looks nice (I have them on one bike not on the others – I got them on second hand brakes – I'd certainly never pay for them)

nickegg
    Free Member

They make bugger all difference and the 'looks' are debateable IMO.

If you really want some still why now try the HEL braided hose kits, they come with fittings to suit nearly all brakes so no need to make sure you order exactly the right fittings. They do a 'carbon' option that looks pretty smart.

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't part of the point that they are tougher?

simon1975

grum you've got the idea!

I twisted and split two plastic hoses within a few months in crashes. Ruins a ride and costs money to repair. I've not broken any braided yet, although I did pull one of a caliper.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sunset have it off the roll, both Hope and Goodridge(seem identical bar the logo, so are interchangeable/usable with Hope fittings), 02929371321.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I was wondering whether they make much difference too but got them as they are a fair bit stronger and thicker than the standard Hope black ones which to me are too thin especially compared to my old Hayes ones. I'm sure they'd make a difference in long descents.

nickc

They can make a difference in feel (but not power) it's quite noticeable on older Shimano brakes which tended to be a bit spongy Goodridge hoses make them firmer. I like my brakes to be on/off switches, so I like them, but if you like progressive squeezy-feely brakes, then they probably won't be for you.

Having said all that, I got mine cheap, dunno if I'd be a mad rush to swap hoses on new brakes if I ever bought any

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Braided Hoses’ is closed to new replies.