Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Braeriach – anyone ridden? Also, Glen Geldie and Sgurr Goath, any experiences?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Like the posting asks, anyone done it? It’s been on my radar for a while. Liking the looks of carrying up from Loch Einich then riding out and back along the three peaks before descending down towards the Larig Ghru on the Aviemore side. I hear the traverse from Carn Ban Mor is boggy though don’t know if that extends all the way to the edge of the corrie above Loch Einich.

Also, planning a big day Feshie – Geldie – Braemar – Derry – Bynack Mor ride. Geldie is the unknown for me. Anyone done it?

Actually, add on Sgurr Goath – anyone ridden off that back towards Aviemore? I hear of trails but have never done them.

Just planning a few excursions. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Can I also add in (though somewhat geographically removed) the hills above Luss? I’ve always wondered if there are any hill tracks up there worth exploring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

From Glen feshie towards braemar – the double track now extends further along than shown on the map IIRC. The track on the east side of the river has been badly damaged in a landslip ( but still passable with care when I last did it years ago) and now the estate road goes along the valley floor beyond the ruin on the west side and then fords the river at the head of the glen. However here still remains several miles ( maybe 6) of rough single track. I went over this with a laden tandem in the wet heading towards Glen feshie and it was a walk in the main. With an unladen bike you would ride more of it and as always it would be easier downhill however that few miles will be slow going and hard work

Sanny
    Free Member

Thanks TJ

I’d heard about the landslip. Any pics of the Glen?

joemarshall
    Free Member

To Loch Einich is lovely. Braeriach is one hell of a carry up from Loch Einich, which at least by the way I did it was quite exposed in parts. To the summit from the plateau is a carry also. Towards LG there is then a defined path, which is a mix of riding and walking across boulders. From LG back is great riding though.

Not sure if I’d recommend it personally, it is nice to have done it, but I maybe wouldn’t bother again.

Sanny
    Free Member

Thanks Joe

Expecting a long carry so no real worries there. I’m liking the looks of an out and back across the three peaks to make it a bigger day out.

What was the descent down like? Rocky tech or a mix of fast and flowy? Any pics?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Request fail – atrocious spelling of Scottish hill names

😉

AntM
    Free Member

Have done the Feshie-Geldie and as TJ says there is a fair bit of pushing on the single track section, having said that I did it at October 1/2 term and it was pretty wet under foot. A couple of years ago we sent a silver DofE group through there (on bikes) and they didn’t find it a problem as it was summertime.

Sanny
    Free Member

Sadly the Gaelic is such a user unfriendly language! I make no apologies for my shocking misspelling. Just as well the language is on the way out. 😀

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’m quite fancy sgor gaooithe or the lairig ghru,
    not really after too much of a hikeybikey dont know if anyone has done any for these routes?
    If the descents worth it then i’ll probably give it a go

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Glen Geldie is best done when it’s been relatively dry for a while. Nice trail though with plenty of improvements in places and a very remote feel. The landslides in Glen Feshie are fine, just require a bit of care:

landslide1 by Team Shortbread, on Flickr

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Walked Braeriach a couple of years ago. IIRC the descent from the plateau down to the Lairig Ghru is pretty steep and very eroded with lots of loose rubble. Not sure it would be good fun/rideable

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sanny, I’ve walked (but not ridden) some of the hills above Luss. From memory, it was mostly pretty trackless and boggy! Not to say there wouldn’t be some good stuff to be found though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

One of my favourite winter hikes on Braeriach – very cold and sunny with snow and ice down to Glenmore. Clambering over icy boulders in the gap in the dark (it was 29th Dec so needed a pre-dawn). I can’t imagine descending from the summit to the Ghru would be that much fun and not worth the effort of hauling up. It’s landscape to savour – hike it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Braeriach – anyone ridden? Also, Glen Geldie and Sgurr Goath, any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.