Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Bradley Wiggins
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The instructor for the skiing part of The Jump is Warren Smith – you’d struggle to find a better instructor…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wonder if his bones are a little weaker than they should be because of all those years of his non-load bearing cycle training?

martinhutch

On Countryfile over new year one of the presenters was at Malham Cove. Neil Gresham (I think) was showing her the (literal) ropes. She gave it a good go and struggled up something about as well as you would expect. So an opportunity to show something impressive and inspiring with someone at the top of their game was instead spent showing an amateur point out that it’s really hard, she can’t imagine doing it at the level they do etc etc. Don’t get it.

You see, as a climber, I do get this. They could just show someone climbing Rainshadow, but while that’s impressive to anyone who knows just how hard that is, the majority of viewers will be none the wiser. The whole point of the programme was to give the average viewer an insight into what it feels like to be on that sweep of rock, even on a so-called ‘easy’ route. You can either connect with a couple of million viewers who can then put themselves in the presenter’s shoes, or show something which is highly impressive to those in the know.

I suppose it’s why one of the most memorable bits of Blue Peter ever was John Noakes climbing Nelson’s Column, not just filming a rope access team doing it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You see, as a climber, I do get this. They could just show someone climbing Rainshadow, but while that’s impressive to anyone who knows just how hard that is, the majority of viewers will be none the wiser. The whole point of the programme was to give the average viewer an insight into what it feels like to be on that sweep of rock, even on a so-called ‘easy’ route. You can either connect with a couple of million viewers who can then put themselves in the presenter’s shoes, or show something which is highly impressive to those in the know.

See also: Downhill MTB. Televised it looks about as spectacular as riding down a fire-road.

binners

Am I not the only one who watched that snowcross, mad skating nonsense and thought ‘that looks like a right laugh!” 😀

i suspect that the end result would be the same as Wiggo though

nbt

I’m still hoping to become a z-list “celebrity”so I can go on The Jump. It looks ace.

gilesmartin81
    martinhutch

What? He’s broken his leg? Bombshell!

Bunnyhop

The jump is great. A big laugh, entertaining and an easy watch when you’ve had a busy weekend.
    All you moaners haven’t got a clue how scary those jumps are. Even the ickle one’s built for children are mahoosive.

My hubby desperately wants to be a contestant. He’d be ace on the skeleton bob, but I think he’s got a thing for Amy Williams.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m enjoying it, harmless fun and the contestants seem to be having great fun.
    As to the knockers I’ve seen countless mtbers stressing over a 3ft drop and never getting the courage to do it 😆

aracer
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bradley Wiggins’ is closed to new replies.