Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Bradford Curry
  • allyst170
    Free Member

Off to Bradford today and thought might go for a curry while there. Anyone got any recommendations.

Cheers

Ally

brant
    Free Member

Kashmir.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My 2 favorites are Karachi (above the Ice Rink) thats the one Rick Stein made famous, one of the oldest in Bradford and still quite cheap.
    The Punjab up Listerhills road, probably my favourite, excellent quality and reasonably cheap, Handi ghost (sp?) I think is my choice.
    The other good one was Akbars up Leeds Rd, but I haven’t been there for years cos it was always full, that’s more expensive and more like a restaurant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

My Bradfordian mate tells me that the best curries are to be found in Manningham.

marc
    Free Member

Akbars is the one. If you’re there today, try to book. It’s rammed at the weekend.

Or you could try Cafe Akbars, same jock but unlicenced.

CHB

Just not Mumtaz, its overpriced and full of poseurs.

headfirst
    Free Member

another for akbars, make sure you get a naan bread – you’ll see why!

PePPeR

See I liked Mumtaz when I used to eat there, but that was nearly 10years ago now so its probably all changed.

johnhoo
    Free Member

when I lived there The Evershine on Morley Street was one of my favourites. Probably long gone now though.

I used to live across the road from Akbars. Sh*t area. I do remember Akbars opening night though, that was good. Free food & wine 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Kashmir seconded.

johnhoo
    Free Member

Just not Mumtaz, its overpriced and full of poseurs.

besides, you can get a Mumtaz meal at supermarkets such as Asda, Co-op, Morrisons in the Bradford/Leeds area, without the challenge of parking near the restaurant

gator
    Free Member

A third for the Kash

Akbars – Nans are something else

brant
    Free Member

without the challenge of parking near the restaurant

there’s a carpark just up the road. but overpriced, yeah – I think it ended up at £90 for me/wife/2 kids, vs about £19 in the Kashmir (if that).

I’ve actually never been to the Karachi (as far as I can remember), but I’m sure it’s fabulous. But personally, I just love the Kashmir (nearly as much as the old Shama Tandoori above the Myrtle Walk shopping centre in Bingley (now demolished apparently).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Kashmir – looks like a sh*t hole but the food is awesome!

Or have a drive out to Aagrah in Shipley (only 10 minutes on the train too from Foster Sq) – £14 all you can eat buffet. Its like going to heaven. Food is awesome too…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Karachi!

CHB

When you folk say Kashmir, I assume you mean the one up the hill from the Alhambra?
    Used to go there with me dad 20 years ago when it was only full of locals.
    Stopped going about 10 years ago as the food was nowhere near as good and it was full of “tourists”.
    Can those that have been more recently advise if its worth a revisit?
    Used to absolutely love their chicken tikka!

CHB

On a related curry note in the Yorkshire area…
    Aagrah in Garforth is brilliant. Tried the Thaal in Knottingley last week and it was expensive and took mediocre to the same level.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

another vote for the kashmir.
    although yeah, it’s been about 8 years since i was last there.

CHB

So Kashmir in 2009…any good?

I can feel a CHB family visit coming on tomorrow!

I need your (recent) reviews.

Another good curry house is the one opposite Vue cinema in Kirkstall road,Leeds.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another good curry house is the one opposite Vue cinema in Kirkstall road,Leeds.

Shish Mahal. Excellent.

TheSanityAssassin

Karachi.

CHB

Thats the one! Shish Mahal, havn’t been for a few years though, but excellent whenever I did.

So come on Kashmir Bradford…is it good again?

Another favourite of mine was in Headingley (woodhouse)…past the Uni towards Hyde Park pub. Turn right at Hyde Park. Curry house was a few humdred metres on right, opposite some working mens club. Best nan’s and Dopiaza in Leeds.

CHB

humdred = hundred + cava + eurovision

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

a vote for the Karachi here, if the locals eat there it must be good.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A guy I know is a developement manager for Pataks Foods, he says Kashmir.

CHB

Right…Kashmir it is!
    I assume we are all talking about the same Kashmir?

It’s just that its a bit like reviewing “The Kings Arms” pub…. flippin hundreds of em!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t rate the Kashmir, but it’s ok, I go there fairly regularly because my friends do rate it. Once you’ve been to the Punjab up Listerhills Road you’ll maybe understand why, but then again, one or two friends say the Punjab food is too rich for their pallat. I find the Kashmir currys bland by comparison.

You can’t beat the good old Karachi tho for price v taste.

Trampus
    Free Member

Used to love competing at Bradford Ice Arena. I’m a Karachi Kid!

johnhoo
    Free Member

I went to uni in Bradford & never once ate at The Karachi.

Ate once at the neighbouring one, the one next to the morgue. <shudders>

my faves were The Shimla at Shearbridge Green, The Evershine (as mentioned) and the Shaheen, also on Morley Street – but then Pickwicks & The Westleigh were my watering holes, so Shaheen & Evershine were closest; Kashmir a mere 20 yards too far…

Now I live in Baildon, the Aagrah in Shipley and Jani’s in Baildon are my favourites – although I have heard good things about Shimla Spice & Rajpoot’s. Shama used to be good but haven’t been there for ages

Ate once at Shish Mahal in Kirkstall – not impressed. Leeds curries = Div 3 compared to Bradford Premier League 😉

Andy_B

CHB – I think you’re talking about Nazams in Woodhouse. I have a birthday card from there

brant
    Free Member

Ate once at the neighbouring one, the one next to the morgue. <shudders>

Yes – that’s the Kashmir 🙂

CHB

Andy – Nazams, thats the one. Nicest staff ever, and they do something unique to their Nans that makes them really nice (I think they add milk to them?).

shands
    Free Member

I went to an indian once when I was in Bradford on business. No idea which one it was. It was up a hill parking on the left and restaurant across the road on the right. Got to say it was rank. The supplier who took us had been bigging it up all day, saying it had won numerous awards.
    The floors were sticky, they reused the plates and as we were leaving. The waiter brought back a half empty glass of coke from an empty table. The barman topped it up and sent it back out as a new glass. Needless to say this guy got ribbed all week!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nearly as much as the old Shama Tandoori above the Myrtle Walk shopping centre in Bingley (now demolished apparently)

Ah, happy days!

And yes, nearly the entire Shopping centre is now a building site.

brant
    Free Member

The Kashmir is guaranteed to have sticky floors I’d think.

For me, curry has to have formica tables, basic chairs, jug of water, glasses and salad on arrival, bring your own drink and eat with your fingers. Effectively an indian “greasy spoon” caff.

This may not be what many diners are looking for.

CHB

Brant…you missed the plastic wicker type plates to serve the chappatis. Surely a pre-requisite for a proper curry house.

Been working on MrsHB since last night to go for a curry today… Likely Kashmir this evening.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We once got stuck in Ardrossan (sp?) having missed the last boat to Aran. Found a campsite, found the local indian which was all silverware and candlesticks. The people on the next table were horrified at our eating habits. 😆

johnhoo
    Free Member

there used to be one “downstairs” round the corner (and in the same building) next to the Kashmir, that was the one I was thinking of.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yeah Jon, that is the Kashmir, I’ve never eaten in the posh bit upstairs. I presume it’s exactly the same food.

Simon

I just love the Kashmir (nearly as much as the old Shama Tandoori above the Myrtle Walk shopping centre in Bingley (now demolished apparently).

The Shama is soon to re-open next to the Jet petrol station. Hope it’s still as good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bradford Curry’ is closed to new replies.