Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Brabantia – how customer service should be
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Following on from the Exposure example…

Bin lid broke, emailed them on Wednesday afternoon to ask if it was in warranty. Was wondering when they’d reply.

Replacement has just arrived, with an apologetic note.

Which was nice.

stumpy01

Yeah, it’s nice when you get that kind of service.

Cole & Mason were similar when the grinder bit of our salt mill wore down so it wasn’t actually working.
    I looked on the website & saw it had a lifetime guarantee, so e-mailed them.
    They asked for photos of the worn parts & about 2 days later a brand new mill turned up!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Customer service can be good when your prices are a piss take. £100 for a bin that’s annoying to open? Give over.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Hmm. Customer service can be good when your prices are a piss take. £100 for a bin that’s annoying to open? Give over.

Used to sell all sorts of bins in the DIY shop I managed, never got Brabantia back faulty. They were never much more to buy than the equivalent own brand ones we had but were much better quality.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In Sicily I got text messages telling me what town I was in. Called Orange (as they were then) to make sure I wasn’t being charged. Nope. But then when I got the bill I was charged £7.50 for the call to operator. Called (from UK) to query it and was told that overseas calls to the operator were chargeable and this was detailed in the T&Cs. Pointed out no-one actually reads the T&Cs which the operator agreed with and pointed out that the minimum refund they could make was £10 – would that be ok?.
    Then EE took over and turned the company to ****

Drac

Do they do cast iron bins? Please say yes so Molgrips goes into orbit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

This thread is rubbish.

andyl
    Free Member

Vax are very good too IMO.

and Hope of course 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d throw it in the bin but …

sbob
    Free Member

Used to sell all sorts of bins in the DIY shop I managed, never got Brabantia back faulty.

😆
    It’s a **** bin!
    Funnily enough, I’ve never had a faulty bin either, despite only ever spending a fraction of the cost of a Brabantia.

wukfit
    Free Member

I was shocked at the price when I first saw them, didn’t stop me buying 2 for the missus (one for general waste, one for recycling)
    A fool and his money

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could however have bought say the equivalent Asda bin for £30 and just gone and got a complete new bin for less than you paid for the Brabantia.

Same happened to me recently though with a £150 Petzl headtorch. The strap broke and they sent me a new one out in the post the next day no questions asked.

So they bloody should on something that cost way more than an equivalent you can buy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I paid £40 for the bin.

5lab

I recently had £675 of john lewis gift cards expire (as per the T&Cs as they hadn’t been used for 2 years). I rang them up, they asked for the details, apologized then sent back £680 worth because they had to round to the nearest tenner. OLED here I come 😀

RustySpanner

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I paid £40 for the bin.

Think they’re less than that now?
    I think we got ours from ASDA.
    🙂

In work, they last for years.
    The cheap ones last months.

Much better value in the long run.
    Good design, easy to clean and change.

Looks reasonable, for a bin.
    🙂

Nice to know they back it up too.

footflaps

Bin lid broke, emailed them on Wednesday afternoon to ask if it was in warranty. Was wondering when they’d reply.

Yep, had a free new lid for ours. Warranty is for lifetime IIRC.

Jamie
    Free Member

CFH has a Branbantia bin.

Well colour me surprised. 8)

cb

Didn’t realise warranty was lifetime – just paid £34 for a new Brabantia lid!

wallop

Wukfit – you were paying extra for the Orla Kiely premium, not because they were Brabantia…

andyl
    Free Member

tbh if something is made to last and the manufacturer uses good manufacturing practices (environments l and socially responsible) then I don’t mind paying more for an item. Not saying this is definitely applies to brabantia vs a cheaper no name item but it is something that I consider.

I have had cheap bins as a student. The plastic breaks, the metal rusts, hinges get sloppy etc. One is still going (just) but will be replaced with something decent when we build the new place.

johnners
    Free Member

When my Brabantia lid catch stopped working I just went to their website, ticked a box for “Warranty Replacement” and ordered another.

Yep, had a free new lid for ours. Warranty is for lifetime IIRC.

I think it’s 10 years on the bins.

tlr

Sram were pretty good to me. I wore out the pin that connects the pulley cage to the parallelogram bit on my Red rear mech. The two bits parted company totally whilst on a ride and so you could see where the pin was half worn through so would no longer hold the parts together.

I called Sram to see if I could buy a new pin, stating that the mech was 4 years/30,000km old and the guy at Sram said that the parts weren’t available but if I sent it to them they would have a look at it despite being 3 years out of warranty.

New Red rear mech arrived a few days later.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Had a great response from Phil & Teds when a pushchair I had bought on Ebay broke (The frame catastrophically cracked)
    The first q was were the kids in the push chair, was anyone hurt.
    I was looking to buy a replacement and they insisted in sending a new one FOC!

RustySpanner

johnners – Member
    I think it’s 10 years on the bins.

More Lou, less Ken.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I recently had £675 of john lewis gift cards expire (as per the T&Cs as they hadn’t been used for 2 years). I rang them up, they asked for the details, apologized then sent back £680 worth because they had to round to the nearest tenner.

I did a similar thing with some wiggle vouchers. I had 4 vouchers, I read the T&C’s on one which had no expiry date so assumed the rest would be the same, they weren’t and the 3 other vouchers expired after 12 months. When I explained the situation to wiggle initially they didn’t believe me about the first voucher and I had to send them a scan to prove it had no expiry date and then they told me that I could spend the first voucher but the other 3 had expired so were now worthless.

(I know this belongs in a different thread but it tied in to the John Lewis experience)

arcing
    Free Member

It’s really refreshing when you get good customer service like this. We ordered a lot over Christmas from Amazon. We had problems with two deliveries, but got great service both times.

One was a huge great Garden Shredder which arrived with a smashed wheel. I noticed on delivery, and phoned Amazon straight away. I suggested instead of going through the hassle of picking it up and replacing it (about 35kg), if they refund me £20 I’ll buy the spare part online and replace it myself. She disappeared for 2 minutes, came back very apologetic and said they’d credited a 20% (£70) refund back to my account, which made it cheaper than a second hand one on eBay.

aP
    Free Member

About 26 or so years ago I had some of the very first X-lite stubbie bar ends. Both of them developed cracks in the welds between the clamp and the stub. I sent them back to X-lite and about 3 weeks later I got them back in the post with a note saying that I’d clearly been riding them outside of the range of activities that they were designed for. They went in the bin and I never bought anything made by X-lite again.

JoB
    Free Member

do you still have the bin though?

aP
    Free Member

haha. It wasn’t a Brabantia – so no.

mtbfix

See also Boa ratchets for quick and easy warranty procedure.

Our Brabantia bin is 15years old and still going strong.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve had great customer service from just about every brand* I’ve ever had to use it for. I think as long as you are polite and keep reasonable most are good.

Off the top of my head it’s only ever been retailers where I’ve ever had any problems, mostly bike related ones. Them and Arnold Clark of course. Worst customer service ever.

*by brand I mean goods, not services like banks, utilities, local and central government etc.

Ambrose

Victorinox have totally refurbished more than one penknife for me for free. Including one with a snapped blade that resulted from me hitting it repeatedly with a hammer.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Brabantia – how customer service should be’ is closed to new replies.