Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • BPW…what runs should we really not miss?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Which are the best, most flowy and fun runs to do?
    Do any work well joined together?
    And the blacks…..any not too scarey?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Sixtapod seems to be the favourite from all the people I have spoken to that’s been there. It is a lot of fun.
    I’ve only been once and the weather and visibility was really bad so we only rode the blue’s, bit of a woose out I know, but still had a great day out.
    EDIT: I don’t own a big bike. I did have a peer down one of the blacks, and no, not for me.

Conan257
    Free Member

Only been once, but going again in October…

I’d make a point of not missing the blue’s. They have some awesome quick lines and are as much fun as the red’s, if not more.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can ride all of it in a day anyway, so, fill your boots.

The two DH trails have some ‘features’ at the start now (little drop on one, double on the other) that are fenced in and designed in a way to stop you riding the rest of the trail if you can’t ride them.

If they look too daunting, then you should probably give the rest of the trail a miss.

timbo678
    Free Member

Sixtapod in to willy waver is blue and a great warm up

Wibbly wobbly and then finish off with willywaver is a good run from red in to blue.

The new A470 is a cracking run with some nice jumps (you can roll them all if not keen) and then in to pork chop and then insignificant funds make for a good combo of red/black/red with only a foot drop-off to negotiate if you are worried about it.

The blacks above the fire road have some big features in them, you can roll some of them but the rest take some commitment, if you’re not a fun of jumping or big rocks then give it a miss and enjoy the others. The blacks below the fire road don’t tend to have any jumps or big drops but are very rocky.

There are lots of combo’s but that is what I was doing when I was there. Next time I plan to session A470 and enter the dragon and get up to speed on those!

nickjb
    Free Member

Possible to ride everything in the morning then pick a few routes for the afternoon. I think my favourite was Wibbly Wobbly into Rim Dinger. Techy enough on my XC bike for me. Sitxapod is lovely and flowy but can get a bit busy. TBH its all good and pretty varied.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Sixtapod willy waver to warm up as stated. I’ve done that so many times its crazy, think Strava show me having done it 25 times. lol.

I would miss wibbly wobbly out of the reds, used to be good but not im not so keen, rough and boring top section, woods are ok then its mega off camber for the speed you can do out of the trees at the end.

Rim dinger seems to just get better and better and so do insufficient funds.

I do like doing Melted Welly, split onto Vicious Valley and ride the fire road for 100 yards and do blue belle or just go straight into Bonneyville, then insuficient funds to finish. Hell of a run. Or ride the fire road down to Rim Dinger/Willy Waver area.

When you know it you can mix and match massively.

marky29er
    Free Member

I disagree re the double on dai hard (dh run). I avoided this, as I don’t Like gap jumps, but the rest of it was most enjoyable, as were all the other black’s, apart from enter the dragon, which i missed on purpose.

wrecker
    Free Member

If they look too daunting, then you should probably give the rest of the trail a miss.

Interesting. Are these new?
    If it’s been wet, I’d avoid Bellville. It’s turns into a quagmire.

gonzy
    Free Member

they were all good
    but the ones i enjoyed most were
    sixtapod onto willy waver
    melted welly onto blue belle onto norkle
    melted welly onto A470 onto willy waver

mcnultycop

I fell off on Boneville on my first run. Embarrassing slow fall.

Sixtapod
    Willy waver
    Rim dinger

My faves

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    The two DH trails have some ‘features’ at the start now (little drop on one, double on the other) that are fenced in and designed in a way to stop you riding the rest of the trail if you can’t ride them.

I thought I’d read (somewhere) that the fencing had been added because people had created their own chicken runs which were damaging the area around the feature, rather than being a test piece to make sure you could get down the whole route?

I may be wrong, but I’ll try and find the article to support…

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

hmm. Looks like I got my wires crossed… (sorry hobnob)

This is the bit I was referring to – https://www.facebook.com/BikeParkWales/photos/pb.199924540047704.-2207520000.1409934664./786456458061173/?type=3&theater

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ah I was going by what one of the team riders was telling me. Who knows then!

timbo678
    Free Member

Bus driver said they’d added the double, the drop on dai hard & wooden drop on A470 as ‘qualifiers’, i.e. If you can’t do them don’t bother with the rest as you’ll hurt yourself.

dingabell
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Are any of the blacks similar in skill level to Y Mynydd at Cwmcarn?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wibbly Wobbly & Rim Dinger is my favourite (even if Wibbly Wobbly got me broken fingers).

Sixtapod & Willy Waver is a great fun blast. Don’t be put off by the blue grading.

Bonneyville I struggle with, but I struggle with loose steep tight switchback kind of stuff anyway, and it gets nasty in the wet there.

The rest is all not to be missed either really. Not done a great deal of the blacks yet though.

dingabell – Member
    Cheers guys. Are any of the blacks similar in skill level to Y Mynydd at Cwmcarn?

Y Mynydd is a rollable DH. Many bits of the BPW blacks are not rollable, and are more technical in terms of roots, rocks, drops and gaps. Though technically BPW isn’t a DH venue but a bike park, so while a DH bike is ideal for Cwmcarn DH, it can be an issue on pedally bits at BPW (though most of it is downwards).

Mugboo

It’s been cleverly designed so that as soon as you roll into a red, it’s clearly rougher than a blue, I like that idea. And the blues all seem to have a crest that helps you scrub just enough speed so you rail the berm, again, clever design (no doubt, if your going really fast you land in the berm…).

As has been said, you’d be really missing out if you missed the blues, they are stoopidly fast 🙂

The reds are rougher but good fun and the lower blacks are just a bit more technical.

I didn’t ride the upper blacks so can’t help you there. I did 10 runs in the day and my arms were beggared!! Can’t wait to go back.

Stiggy

As someone said further up: Melted Welly, Vicious Valley, Bluebelle, Norkle or Insufficient Funds.

maxtorque

Start with a fast, big bermed, high G rip fest on Melted Welly, and as you enter the woods via two huge cambered berms, bear off right onto Vicious Valley. This starts fast and flowing, and gets narrower and more technical as it goes on. It’s not steep or hard, unless you are really smashing it. Pop out, cross the fire road and “drop” straight into BonneyVille. Slay the tight(ish) hairpins at the start using a proper amount of “body english” then stay loose and nimble down the steeper, slipper middle bit (reasonably techy to ride in the wet, but no big surprises) then get your pedaling legs on and rocket down the second half of Blue Belle, getting plenty of flow and smooth air on the swoopy sections. Use the large boulder at the entrance to the underpass tunnel as an impromptu bit of drop practice, wall ride the underpass and straight out the other side.

If your knackered, bear hard right, and pump down Insufficent funds for a smooth fast finish, or, if you’re still fighting fit, wrestle your bike through the lumpy rockyness that is Zut Alors, and then pump, drop, and whoop your way down Norkle to a happy ending.

That’s my fav ride at BPW 🙂

WTF did I just read? ^^^ Are you on drugs?

As for the rest of the thread, don’t be put off by ‘I didn’t ride the blacks’ and ‘test features’ etc – there’s nothing that isn’t rollable. If you have any degree of technical ability, Enter The Dragon is by far the best run. It barely qualifies as a black unless you hit everything fast.

wiggles
    Free Member

there’s nothing that isn’t rollable

There is now… as mentioned there are some drops and doubles which are fenced off so there is no chicken line.

My favourites are sixtapod to willy waver and wibbly wobly to rim dinger.

maxtorque

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR
    ^^^ Are you on drugs?

Sure am! A couple of paracetamol and i’m on it dude!! 😉

As mentioned, if you plan to “roll” the 4foot wall drop on ETD, please let me know so can get my camera out and ready!

Haha, 4ft? – it’s 2ft mate!

A mate of mine rode it front wheel first when he had a flat. There’s plenty of time to stop and scope it and I even think a chicken run was there last time

timbo678
    Free Member

It is only about 2 ft but you can’t roll it or the dai hard jump now, all else is rollable.

It’s only black if you hit everything at pace and all the big features, otherwise it’s not much different to the blues

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As for the rest of the thread, don’t be put off by ‘I didn’t ride the blacks’ and ‘test features’ etc – there’s nothing that isn’t rollable. If you have any degree of technical ability, Enter The Dragon is by far the best run. It barely qualifies as a black unless you hit everything fast

ETD is ‘nearly’ all rollable, but the jumps at the start are fairly sizable, and do require a level of commitment, predominantly if you want to carry enough speed to hit the stepdown into the woods & the berm jump after.

Yes you can wobble over them, and roll through the stepdown – somewhat defeats the object of the trail though if you’re riding through the middle of jumps.

timbo678
    Free Member

Exactly what hobnob said

Euro
    Free Member

Never been but if you like jumps then Enter The Dragon into Trail X looks great fun.

m0rk
    Free Member

This is the ‘unrollable’ step in ETD – but there’s a chicken line just to the left that is there

It’s not 2 foot, but not 4 either (but probably close from take off to landing if you’re going at a pace)

Just re-ran the video I took from the top, and the two gap jumps at the top – have chicken lines (the first looks rollable anyway)

Not doing them isn’t missing anything from the trail, it just means you’ll get to the bottom in one piece if you’re not in the mood for them

maxtorque

If you exit the previous berm with a good pump, get a couple of pedal strokes in, then pump before the drop to get a clean “flight”, it’s pretty much 4foot vertical to the place you land, which is atleast 6 to 8 foot down the trail from the bottom of the actual “wall”. When you ride it you have no idea it’s a wall tbh, because you can’t see it!

Of course, how ever much fencing or obstacles BPW put in the way to try to prevent people making chicken runs around it, you can always stop and get off your bike and carry it down, but that really rather negates the point of the run in the first place! Afterall, the only difference between a Blue run and a Black run is the terrain, if you stop and walk all the difficult bits on a black it’s just a very slow, and entirely unsatisfying blue 😉

frogstomp

Afterall, the only difference between a Blue run and a Black run is the terrain, if you stop and walk all the difficult bits on a black it’s just a very slow, and entirely unsatisfying blue

This is true.. but having chicken runs also means that if you’ve not ridden the trail before you can still scope out the bigger features without having to slow down / get off and potentially be in the way of other riders..

_tom_
    Free Member

So whats the A470 line like then? I’m keen to try it asap, looks like my kinda trail!

deadkenny
    Free Member

How to **** up the Wall drop http://youtu.be/nAuaHAY34p4?t=2m31s

Not me I should add, but it’s exactly the sort of thing I’d do 😀

m0rk
    Free Member

Fake, insufficient swearing at a decent OTB/Faceplant

chrishc777
    Free Member

Sixtapod into Willy Waver is just briliant the speed you can have down there is just silly, enter the dragon is much easier than dai hard for black runs and don’t miss Wibbly Wobbly into rim dinger.
    Coal not dole is short but great and Zut alors has the best rock garden ever

dingabell
    Free Member

Went there today. Have to say, was mightily impressed. Sixtapod was definitely my favorite but all the other blues and reds were great fun too. Had no idea it was that easy to link up different runs.
    Unfortunately our day came to an abrupt stop in the afternoon when one of our group overcooked a jump on A470. He landed nose down, went over the bars onto his back and knocked himself out. He was then run over by three bikes coming up behind him who couldn’t stop in time because they didn’t see him in the middle of the trail until it was too late. Thankfully his back is fine and he’s just a bit bruised and battered. Big thanks to everyone from BPW for getting an ambulance up there and shutting off the trail to stop anyone else from hitting him before he could be moved. A&E not the best way to end the day but he’s OK which is the main thing…..and he still wants to go back!

maxtorque

Looking at the speed and length of A470, i suspect that^^^ is going to be a regular thing………..
    Those massive tables look easy when you see ’em on you-tube, just rip into them, sail through the air, land light as a feather. But in reality, the size and speed of them means gaps in your technique and tiredness are going to play a big part in what actually occurs!

dingabell
    Free Member

According to the staff member, there were seven pretty bad stacks just yesterday on that one section.

weeksy

Oh dear. Maybe I won’t ride it on Thurs after all.

grum
    Free Member

Looking forward to a spectacular crash on A470 on Thursday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘BPW…what runs should we really not miss?’ is closed to new replies.