Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • BPW uplift options.
  • pt81
    Free Member

Are you allowed to do your own uplifts? All the uplift passes for july are sold out, is it possible to use your own transport on site? I guess not but you never know.

williamtm
    Free Member

Nope. It’s a private fire road behind a locked gate. The only way to drive yourself up the hill is to get a minibus licence and apply for a job there. 😛

creamegg
    Free Member

yes. you can use your bike

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just go somewhere else… Lots of places better than BPW

weeksy

passtherizla – Member

Just go somewhere else… Lots of places better than BPW

for example ?

pt81
    Free Member

Was going to ask the same question.

pt81
    Free Member

Used the bike for the ups last time but this time i”ll be with the kids 😉

passtherizla is too awesome for BPW 😉

For the rest of us mortals, it’s great fun

bigblackshed

You can get on the uplift bus on a adhoc basis. Not sure what it will be like this time of year, but everytime I’ve been, midweek though, you can get a place no problem. TBH I never done enough runs to break even on the bus ticket.

mindmap3
    Free Member

We went the other week and the uplift was pretty slow TBH with lots of waiting around which cost us runs. There were loads of people riding / pushing up some of whom were getting a fair few runs in.

I think I preferred Antur in the dry – if the weather is a bit grim, I prefer BPW because there is tree cover etc.

Both times we’ve been – once in horrible weather in Feb and the other on a glorious Saturday last month, we’ve got 9 runs in – could have been one more with no mechanicals.

Each time people were struggling to get single uplifts.

We didn’t feel that we were ever really waiting too long for the uplift – my major gripe is that between finishing for lunch and starting again, it’s definitely more than an hour – makes the afternoon session seem very short.

zilog6128

Got 12 or 13 runs in last time I went – 7 before lunch! That was on my own though, managed a lot less when with a group as there was a lot more faffing around.

wiggles
    Free Member

I managed 9 runs on a day that involved hale storms and lightning so I left about 4 and I’m probably the slowest person (whats the oppostite of a KOM?) ever to ride there…

I_Ache
    Free Member

The place is good fun but they really do need to sort the uplift. It was dire the other day/ they were running two vehicles to the uplift together rather than one at a time. This meant that you were either waiting for ages for the bus to turn up or you were sat on the bus waiitng ages for it to fill up. The whole day was mega frustrating.

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    passtherizla is too awesome for BPW

To be fair, he is. It is way too tame compared to the stuff he is used to.

It was dire the other day/ they were running two vehicles to the uplift together rather than one at a time. This meant that you were either waiting for ages for the bus to turn up or you were sat on the bus waiitng ages for it to fill up. The whole day was mega frustrating.

They run two sets of two – did you not notice the other two parked half way down, every time you went up?

I suppose with some careful planning you could run all four separately, but it wouldn’t be too hard to get them out of sync and in any case you’d be stood in the queue waiting anyway, rather than on the bus. Say each bus holds 20 people, it will still take the same amount of time for the 80th rider to get to the top, however they stagger them and repeat through the day

We found that if you got off the bus and rode down, 90% of the time you just about timed it right to be on the same set of two back up. If we had a mechanical, it usually threw us out, so we’d be on the other set of two.

To be fair, he is. It is way too tame compared to the stuff he is used to.

I don’t doubt it, but I’d imagine what he finds a challenge, would probably be a tad extreme for 90% of your average MTB’ers

pt81
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys . If you had the opportunity to do van rotations in the Bristol/Sw area, where would you go? (

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah thanks dude 😉 hahaha. Been there for uplift and walk up and I just hate the place. Would Actually rather go FOD. Revo and antur are my favourite. All I was saying that if it’s full go somewhere else that isn’t full, It’s really not that great. I will be giving it another chance once I hear good things about track conditions and uplift.

creamegg
    Free Member

I found the uplift ok, managed 13 runs and would have managed another 1 or 2 if I didn’t bump into mates on non-uplift. The thing that slows the uplift down is people taking forever strapping their bikes onto the trailer, felt like I was waiting forever in the bus for people to stop faffing with the straps

pt81
    Free Member

Ok recap. BPW full, Revo and Antur, interessting but makes a long daytrip. FOD, i’ll be passing the day there pedaling around. Any other gravity trails?

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve yet to go to BPW in the dry but still had a good time. Cwmcarn also has an uplift so that could be an option? Slight hijack – what’s Revolution like? From videos etc… it looks pretty wild, I’m pretty happy with technical, steep, drops but I think that I’m likely too slow to hit many of the gap jumps and not end up eating dirt, are they everywhere or just a few dotted around?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Revo is ace. Just go there, the gaps and jumps are all on the same line and have ride arounds. Doesn’t have any facilities apart from tea coffee and a burger at lunch. But who needs tiffin anyways!?!?!? It is wild but extremely well thought out and out together.

pt81
    Free Member

Uplifts are’nt absolutely necessary as we can do rotations with the van.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Llangollen I think might be the only place that let’s you do your own lifts?

chvck
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds ace. It’s just down the road (as down the road goes in Wales) from my Dad’s place too…

passtherizla
    Free Member

There is also this new black mountain cycle crntre

chvck
    Free Member

You could probably uplift Hopton? You wouldn’t be able to do bottom to top in a van but it wouldn’t be far off.

pt81
    Free Member

Thanks chvck for Cwmcarn, have you ridden the spot?

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden cwmcarn, no. Somehow it’s a place that I’ve been planning to ride for a few years but somehow just haven’t!

nickjb
    Free Member

There is a DIY uplift option at Afan on public roads. Only the final Wall decent so not worth a trip on its own but OK to add few extra runs for tired legs once you done a few loops.

I_Ache
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    There is also this new black mountain cycle crntre

We need to get over there before the end of October(operation booked).

passtherizla
    Free Member

Cool book it 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘BPW uplift options.’ is closed to new replies.