Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BPW anyone else been a bit disappointed
  • g123456
    Free Member

Did a week in Wales going to several downhill tracks with uplift days Cwmdown (which we did last year) bike park wales, and Antur Stiniog. I was hardtailing it so not the most comfortable ride. But of the places we did Bike park Wales seemed to be the biggest disappointed with the money they have thrown at the place and the tracks which didn’t offer what the other two did in terms of downhill fun. Or am i missing what bike park Wales is meant to be aimed at.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Lots of comments on lots of threads saying similar things. There seems to be a correlation between those who are expecting a downhillers’ bike park and those who are disappointed. For those – like me – who want a trail centre without the climbs the feedback is a lot more positive.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t like it either… We’re not alone.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s nowhere near as gnarly as Antur or Cwmdown but I do wonder if those who don’t like it simply aren’t riding it fast enough? When you see the pro videos shot there they’re doubling up rollers all over the place, just tons of air time! It’s not a downhill venue, it’s a trail centre with uplift.

The only thing that disappointed me was the pump track but I gather it’s like it is because of the risk of riders colliding on a true pump track. Love BPW!

fergal
    Free Member

It does look a bit smooth and manicured in the vids, are there any decent features/drops.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

are there any decent features/drops

Define decent. There were more than enough lumps and jumps to keep me occupied, but I’m a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to getting airborne. I reckon that – even on the easy runs – a good rider could get some serious air time.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it but didn’t view it as a DH day like I did with Antur, its just the fun bits of trail centres without the boring bit (climbing). You only need to look at the bikes that mostly get ridden there – trails bikes, mince tanks and gnar poons rather tha full on DH bikes.

It was more in my capabilities (big gaps aside) than Antur which I found much harder.

oliverracing

even on the easy runs – a good rider could get some serious air time.

I’m a wheels firmly on ground type rider, but I was racing someone down one of the blues and some of the doubles are amazing easy to clear when you’re not thinking about it and going fast enough! I was on an XC hardtail and I think anything bigger would have made the day less “exciting” though.

fergal
    Free Member

Other than stuff you can roll or clear at speed, any technical riding.

maxtorque

I think BPW has done the right thing, and the fact it’s fully booked for months suggests that’s the case too!

When you build a new “bike park” you really have to aim it at the “masses” and frankly the masses are not those who are going send a 30foot gap or a 100 yard rock garden!

Also, with the best will, it really is DownHill, rather than DownMountain, and there isn’t a continuously steep descent from top to bottom.

However, having said all that, the place isn’t a year old yet, and they have plenty of room to add more difficult tracks and features to accommodate more advanced riders and “proper” DHers!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’re the kind of rider whose skills to negotiate an obstacle are “clear at speed” then I assume you’re not a mincer so maybe you will find the blues and reds a bit easy. There were one or two drops on the reds that probably send the odd mincer over the bars so I expect the blacks must have something “technical”.

I’d recommend anyone take a visit. Even the easy stuff is great fun. Just remember it is a trail centre with uplift rather than a dedicated downhill venue and you shouldn’t be disappointed.

weeksy

I think the people who don’t like it are vastly more skilled than myself. I think it’s an absolute blast !

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think the people who don’t like it are vastly more skilled than myself. I think it’s an absolute blast !

Well said. 100% agree

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with Weeksy too!

The blues, although not technically difficult where an absolute hoot, epsecially with a few of your following each other down.

The harder stuff seems to be big gaps rather than steep, techy switchbacks and rock gardens.

I like and am looking forward to me second visit in July.

joefm

If i was going on my DH bike I would be disapointed as I hate wide open all weather dh tracks like cwm carn and BPW. Much prefer steep and natural. The only one I would go to would be Antur Stinog. In fact the old dragon track was an absolute slog to race so it’s no surprise it’s not up there for DH stuff.

On my ‘enduro’ bike it’s great though. Can ride most stuff except for a couple of the big step downs. The variety is good and there are some more natural sections such as the black segments on the far northern flank.

It’s a bloody good mix of trail riding, finding a bit of everything that you might expect to find on a normal ride (without the slog).

Jumps, drops, rocky sections and fast, flowy singletrack – what’s not to like?

I didn’t go to BPW expecting a full on DH course – anyone that does the tiniest bit of research before hand wouldn’t either. I’ve minced down Fort Bill for that experience.

We went in Feb when it was really crappy weather and enjoyed it enough to go back in June. Might try Antur next time though for something more extreme.

jairaj

I really liked it. Didn’t have an uplift ticket so only rode a few trails before I was knackered. But the ones I rode were good fun.

But .. BPW is not a DH place! If you went there expecting DH runs then I can see why you might be disappointed.

“Trail centre with an uplift” is very good description. From the pictures, videos and other media about the place that’s the impression I got of the place before I went.

Also, I read about a few people only trying the blues and reds – I urge you to try the blacks, as they are really fun. There is nothing steep and nothing that isn’t rollable, with the exception of one 2-3ft drop on Enter The Dragon, but you can still get off and walk it if you wish

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BPW anyone else been a bit disappointed’ is closed to new replies.