Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BP shares – good time to buy and how to do it?
  • Curly68
    Free Member

Now BP shares are quite low, my lodger is thinking about buying some. Is it the right time and if so, how do you go about buying them?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What will happen to the share price when the US navy has to nuke the well head to seal it?

adam5555

Id wait until the oil leak is plugged at least and then view as a loooonnngggg term investment. Lots of mud slinging and litigation to go yet. Would still be a risky buy, I can see the yanks driving them out of business as an "example" then carving up their assets for more U.S leaning multinationals

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anokdale
    Free Member

At 50k barrels a day no one is nuking that sucker, it is a big well and will pay BPs mess up eventually.

The drillers i work with reckon the time to buy is when they plug the leak, current estimates late July.

Spongebob
    Free Member

BP have BIG financial reserves and is a massive company. I don't think this crisis will kill it, but it will be a while before the total cost of the disaster comes to light. The time to make a call on BP will be when the extent is known, then I expect the stocks will begin to bounce back. I expect BP stocks will be sharply up in a few years, but I don't have a crstal ball.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I'd wait a bit until there is a trend of recovery. They haven't resolved this yet and it could wipe more off the share price IMO. They won't go under and will probably be a good long term investment, but I'd wait a bit longer to get the best price

hotcharge
    Free Member

40% of BP shareholders are american, there is no way BP will go under. They will be fine.. Def worth a punt and a great opportunity to buy into a massive, massive company.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bp employs more in America than over here so there's gonna be no example making. Barrack is just gobbing off at the mo to show the world who's boss but with all the oil down there and the us one of the biggest consumers I'm sure a "deal" will be worked out sooner rather than later. That combined with what is hopefully a succesful capping and they (shares) should rise nicely, but steadily! Timeframe for purchase is anyones guess. Don't forget what mr gekko said tho. "What's worth doing is worth doing for money."

Ed2001
    Free Member

You have to try and look beyond the media/ Obama hyperbole. Its the 4th largest company in the world $20 billion which is the expected cost of the clean up equates to just 9 months of profit! This is a hugely profitable company which history tells us pays a very very good dividend.
    Talk of going under etc etc is as others have said just utter nonesense.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

no. wait until the litigation and how much $ they have to put in the compensation fund. shares will more than dip when that is agreed!

no dividends for at least 1 probably 2 years either.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

buy in dribs and drabs and see how it goes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ed profit was $9bn last year.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

4th largest company in the world $20 billion which is the expected cost of the clean up equates to just 9 months of profit

Where did you get this from? It ain't right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_corporations_by_market_capitalization

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Radio said something about a year and a half profit to be wiped out in paying for the mess, didn't catch what the annual profit was though!

Ed2001
    Free Member

1st quater profits for this year were $5.6 billion and this was replacement cost net profit which strips out gains related to rises in the value of inventoties if you don't I believe the figure is near $9 billion as I quoted( these are BP figures). The 4th largest company relates to 2009 global fortune 500 rankings which is based on a companies gross revenue.My point is that its a very very big company that incredibly can take a hit of $20 billion hence the shares increasing in value today.

chewkw
    Free Member

I expect they are going to pay beyond that £20 billion if they cannot stop the leak soon because as days go by many will be affected and the claim will get even higher, plus the fact that the cleaning cost will spiral once they have estimated the environmental cost/damage.

BP I guess will not be paying divided for at least 3 – 5years … if they are lucky.

ianv
    Free Member

20bn is just the start but market capitalisation is down 50bn from earlier this year. Worth a punt for the long term but steady nerves in the interim, this is a volatile share in a still very volatile market.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Up 7% in one day today, but bear in mind oil is set to double in price in the next few years.

I bet the uber-critical "puffed up shirts" in America today will capitulate, becoming hyporits, when the thirst to aquire more crude causes them to sanction further risky deep water exploration as the price burgeons.

Yep, i'd say BP stocks, long term, is safer than houses!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Let them get more of a kicking by the White House & Congress then the shares should go down even more, then buy buy buy! May take a few years for them to recover, but I reckon they should be a good bet, I have a few friends who have bought or are playing a waiting game before they buy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BP shares – good time to buy and how to do it?’ is closed to new replies.