Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boys weekend, South Wales, Afan alternative?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

As in the post. Usually do an annual boys weekend to Afan and we love it. We are looking to go again in the Spring and considered Afan again as we have a couple of the lads who’ve not made it before so really fancy it, however, for a similar mix of offerings, varied trails etc., should I consider any other centres these days in the South of Wales? We’ll possibly be stopping for a bit at BPW anyway but not sure what else to consider?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Brechfa? It’s good as a group as the Red is average and the blue/black loops are interwoven so you could split into groups and ride separately.

Cwm Rhaeadr is nearby, it’s not a normal trail centre, it’s basically a red graded Enduro/DH run, with a fire road to the top. So park in the car park and just do run after run until you’re knackered and people can come and go as they please.

Northwind

Forest of Dean isn’t in Wales at all but it’s next door and it’s really bloody good. For the uplift it’s a tiny wee bump of a hill, but the lift is all on public roads so it’s super fast, it balances out. I think I actually prefer it to BPW overall, though maybe just because it’s always sunny at FOD and always rainy at BPW.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I ride FOD all the time – and totally agree on its merits but not everyone in the group loves it as much so Wales it is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Caerphilly……

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Thanks all.

danradyr1
    Free Member

Cwmcarn. You have the 2 xc trails and 2 dh trails. I usually ride up on the xc and come down the dh trails. You also have the option of an uplift for the dh. I enjoy going there as you have the option of the more challenging dh trails.

mikerc
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/scenicrootscwmcarn/

Place to stay here in Cwmcarn, gives you access to not only Cwmcarn from the door but Machen, Wyllie and host of other local trails.
    You can extend the Cwmcarn loop by going up through Abercarn up to the moors etc

Kamakazie

Machen is a wreck with all the logging but Wyllie apparently untouched.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

I’d suggest Brechfa. Off the beaten track, 4 trails (Black, Red, Green, Blue). We’ve ridden the red as a mixed ability group (skill and fitness) and everyone enjoyed themselves. + you have Cwm Rhaeadr for a cheeky final ride on Sunday morning before everyone goes home.

I’d personally like to get more into this The area. It is quiet and not much there in terms of population or other riders (most stick to Afan or Cwm Carn). The area has an abundance of nature riding too in areas such as the Doethie and Elan Valleys.

zomersetglider

I’d also give a shout out to Brechfa- returned there last November & I’d forgot how good it is- there is more sense of remoteness whilst retaining some great man-made flowy singletrack. Realistically you can link Brechfa & Afan up together for a long weekend which we’ve done in the past before, we stayed at the Green Lanterns http://www.greenlanterns.co.uk/ which is roughly halfway between Afan & Brechfa

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Boys weekend, South Wales, Afan alternative?’ is closed to new replies.