• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Boy Racers – Renaultsport Clio 197 for the wife….
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

found a bit of cash and the wife has always wanted a car which is a bit of fun but still normal'ish.

she has a fancy for these…

anybody had one, what are they like?

there's a 2007 with 50k on the clock for 8k in a garage on our doorstep so might pop in later

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Brilliant to drive, crap to own and run.

loddrik
    Free Member

I think they look great from the rear, the flared haunches look nice and purposeful. I'd get a Cooper S Works though..

Jamie
    Free Member

Mini Cooper S?

Edit:

06 Mini Cooper S – John Cooper Works – 42k / 8 Grand.

Edit 2: Hmm. That one is a Cat D, but you get the idea 😉

richmtb

for that money I'd go for an old shape Civic Type R. Fun practical and pretty bullet proof

EDIT or a Mini Cooper S!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Think of it as a gokart with a roof and a boot

tron
    Free Member

I'd go for the old Civic Type R over one of those. Or a 1.8T Polo with a chip. The electriconics in PSA group cars are worthless.

Or: What Surf Mat said.

loddrik
    Free Member

I'd steer clear of a CTR, good cars but driven by absolute knobs who think their car is the fastest thing on the road and try to race everyone all the time. Surely 8k gets you a decent golf GTi these days..?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

they actually have a good rep for build quality these days compared to the old 182's, mate had a company car diesel one and it was bomb proof.

but i wont get into "the French cars are not as crap as 90% of people think" on this post as its been done enough on here 😉

you buggers, suggesting the cooper, this 'cooper s v 197 shootout' link was a good read.. MMM

Jamie
    Free Member

Surely 8k gets you a decent golf GTi these days..?

8K gets you a decent anything really. Golf, Mini, Fabia VRS maybe?

tron
    Free Member

MK5 GTIs are still decent money, so you'd be looking at a 100k car.

MK4s aren't in the same street as something like the Clio.

Most folks won't even know you're driving a CTR and not a Type S or whatever. It's not like a Cayenne or Q7, which might as well come from the factory with a sunstrip that reads "****"…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Surely 8k gets you a decent golf GTi these days..?

don't bet on it, your looking at a very, very high milage Mk5 GTI

convert

This is still on my shopping list along with Mini Cooper S. Wife has a hip problem so DSG style gearbox or similar is becoming a sensible option. That puts mini cooper S in auto mode to the top of the tree or maybe Golf GTI DSG(which is larger than she would like). My budget is similar to yours and £8-10K for an mini auto or golf DSG is a stretch less than 5 or 6yrs old.

dickydutch

leon cupra r?
    225 bhp.

tron
    Free Member

I'm not on a "worr, French cars are rubbish innit" trip. Seriously check out if that model of Clio still has the hilariously fragile UCH unit that was fitted to the older model.

richmtb

Also look at Leon FR's, essentially a Golf GTI with a crap interior, don't hold their value as well as the Golf's though so a lot cheaper.

I have one, solidly built and fun to drive

TheFlyingOx

DC5 Honda Integra Type R?

Supposedly the greatest FWD car ever made. Or DC2s are around the £5k mark for a good one.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Tron… Yes you are! At least if you're going to be sneery about French cars get your companies straight. PSA is Peugeot / Citroen – nothing to do with Renault apart from the country of origin. They share nothing. Renault and Nissan however…..

Having had an 06 Golf GTi for a year(truly great) and a Clio 197 for 2 weeks which I also loved it would be a tough call. You'll get a lower miles 197 for your money when you start comparing them with GTi….

HTH

nickf
    Free Member

I had a 182 for two months and absolutely hated it. Fast as you like, lots of toys, but bouncy and noisy. I started thinking of selling it almost as soon as it arrived. The 197 (which I've driven far less extensively) is better, but still not something I'd choose.

It's pretty poor around town (over-light brakes and jerky throttle – yes, it could be me, but having driven over half a million miles in my life I can't see why I've suddenly forgotten how to drive) and still fairly noisy on the motorway, though much improved over the 182.

A Golf GTI, even one a year or so older, is a much more pleasant experience, and where I'd put my money.

tron
    Free Member

PSA is Peugeot / Citroen

You're correct. I had them lumped together in my head as they all had Body Control Computer problems at about the same time. I almost bought a 182 myself, until I heard about it…

nockmeister
    Free Member

Love my 172 sport, cane it everywhere…been bullet proof! The 197's are put together even more solidly. Best fun to be had on 4wheels without spending mental money.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Okay I'll crack. What's a Body Control Computer? Only reason I ask is I've worked in the motor trade since 1989 and I've never heard of it before. Peugeot/Citroen electrics are all Bosch and have been since 2006 – same as VW, Audi, BMW, etc etc. Can't speak for Renault but you're as likely to get an electrical prob on any of them these days. And whoever thinks that buying a Mini will give you a superior owning experience should remember that their diesel is the 1.6HDi PSA engine and their petrol engine is a joint venture with Peugeot….. They're all the same really.

-m-
    Free Member

First gen (BMW) Mini wouldn't be on my list vehicles to own out-of-warranty…

Plenty of known faults, complex engineering, expensive parts.

ben
    Free Member

I'd go for it. They're miles apart in terms of build quality compared to the 182.

I'd personally avoid all out "Cup" models, though would try and find one that has the Cup chassis option. You get the best of both worlds then.

If you do go for one with the Recaro seats, look out for wear as they're notorious for the bolsters falling apart.

JCL
    Free Member

Just read the reviews. No other hatchback gets anywhere near the Clio.

tron
    Free Member

What's a Body Control Computer?

As far as I know, it's a fairly important part of the multiplexing system. It's like an ECU for the body systems – indicators, instruments etc.

v10
    Free Member

They tend to be love hate relationships. Ive got a 172cup, the electronics are crap, the build quality is poor, i sometimes need to wiggle the TDC sensor to get it to start… can i bring myself to sell it?

Nope! Ive had a decent share of quick stuff and this although not the fastest car ive owned is definatly the most fun, its simply a car that makes you smile. Ive driven a few 197s at RS trackdays too, definatly more refined than the 172/182 – bigger/heavier car but performance is similar due to extra power, dont notice the extra weight in the handling either, brilliant car to drive.

It will have flaws but if youve actually owned one they are difficult things not too love.

Brycey
    Free Member

Shameless plug alert, shameless plug alert!

I'm selling a '56 plate 197 that hasn't missed a beat in three years. £6.5k ono, 33,000 miles.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

PS Not sure what in SurfMatt's words is "crap to own and run" about them? Mine's a hoot to drive and cut above the old shape 172/182s etc in terms of quality. I'm gutted to be selling mine but don't use it.

v10
    Free Member

Im going to pretend i didnt see that for my bank balances sake 😆

Olly
    Free Member

I would LOVE one of those.
    whip the back seats out all together as the only thing to ever go in would be bikes.

French cars are blatantly the coolest cars on the block (the germans are clearly the jocks too)

and remember, ideal for the lady owner as French cars wear their dents with style and with pride. 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Boy Racers – Renaultsport Clio 197 for the wife….’ is closed to new replies.