Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • boy or girl, would you want to know?
  • Travis

would you want to know? or wait ?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s best to find out before you snog them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wanted to know, and did. It sort of made him a bit more of a real person, referring to him by his name rather than ‘the baby’, if that makes sense.

B-_good_effort
    Free Member

Nah, old skool – save it for the magic 😆

CHB

We found out with both ours.
    Glad we did. It allows you to think of names and paint the bedroom the right colour.
    Also tail/no-tail tells you NOTHING about personality of the baby or whether they will have their uncle sidneys nose. So even knowing what flavour you are getting leaves so much to be a surprise when the little tyke pops out.

carlphillips
    Free Member

old skool rules here im afraid, nothing like the anticipation of what it’ll be, plus they don’t always get it right, two of our friends have had the opposite to what they were told,

fubar
    Free Member

If we had known in advance I’d now have to push a pink pushchair everywhere…but as we didn’t know in advance everything is a ‘neutral’ colour.

Harry_the_Spider

We find out for No#2 in a couple of weeks.

slimtubing
    Free Member

we didn’t find out for #1 and it was a great surprise as the missus was convinced we were having a wee boy, out popped Meg; a boy without winkle!
    #2 on the way as i type, due to calf in early Nov.

loddrik
    Free Member

Absolutely, we couldn’t wait to find out, and wanted a girl so we were happy. Now have number two on the way and will be able to find out in around 6 weeks what it is. If it is another girl then great as we have thousands of pounds worth of clothes sitting there ready. If it is a boy then we can shift them all at the car boot and raise some cash. No way would we want to wait until it was born.

JB405
    Free Member

We’re expecting our first on the 26th May and have decided to go Old School and wait! We decided that there is very little / if anything that is needed in the first few months that is gender specific.

Mind you, we probably fall into the new age hippy bracket: Trying for a water birth at home and considering a Lotus birth as well. Virtually everything we have for the little’un has been recycled, come from friends and relatives whose little’uns are no longer little!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

We weren’t going to find out with the first one, but I saw something on the scan that didn’t look like an umbilical if you know what I mean. We decided then to find out for sure. Find out for the second one too. 2 boys later my wife wants a girl. I want to get out riding again 😆

Keva
    Free Member

save it for the magic

Im sure there is a rational explanation.

Travis

Mrs. wants to know, and I don’t (ish) With the wife being Chinese and here in China, generally people aren’t allowed to know, but when you’re at a private hospital, you do have the option to know….

Bedds
    Free Member

Our first is due in October and we both want to know.. mainly for above reasons.. knowing what colour stuff to get.. knowing the name to use to make it more personal 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

Glad we did. It allows you to think of names and paint the bedroom the right colour.

Does it matter what colour the bedroom is? Can a little girl not have a blue bedroom and visa versa?

Same with clothing, babies don’t mind what colour they are wearing!!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

most babies look the same, boy or girl, IMHO. At least when dressed in “appropriate” colours I have a fighting chance of referring to them in the correct sex

aracer
    Free Member

Does it matter what colour the bedroom is? Can a little girl not have a blue bedroom and visa versa?

Same with clothing, babies don’t mind what colour they are wearing!!!
    Couldn’t agree more. Baby #2 is due within the next few weeks, and we’ve managed to paint the bedroom the right colour without knowing what type it is. Meanwhile, it’s not going to be wearing pink even if it is a girl!

If it is another girl then great as we have thousands of pounds worth of clothes sitting there ready. If it is a boy then we can shift them all at the car boot and raise some cash.

😯 😯 🙄 Maybe the difference is that those who want to know as early as possible are the ones who want to start the gender stereotyping as early as possible, and waste lots of money on clothes they can’t re-use if they get the different type next time.

nickc

Found out at one of the scans for #1, there he was, legs akimbo, it wasn’t difficult to work out…

#2 was more coy.

loddrik
    Free Member

Maybe the difference is that those who want to know as early as possible are the ones who want to start the gender stereotyping as early as possible, and waste lots of money on clothes they can’t re-use if they get the different type next time.

Maybe someone shouldn’t make assumptions about people they will never meet.

And last time I checked, most people tend not to dress boys in dresses and frilly atire…

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I know a couple of people who have lost babies in advance stages of pregnancy. I think knowing what it is personalises it even more and makes the loss harder.

Also, it more fun to have a surprise.

I find it kind of narrow minded and scary to start deciding on the colour of a childs room and equipment and on what personality you expect it to have before its even born. Its treating it as a fashion toy not a kid. Talk about pidgeon holeing a person and demanding a child behave in a pre-defined by sex way. No wonder there is a shortage of girls who become engineers and suchlike, when from birth they have to be surrounded by pink and are not allowed ‘boys’ toys. And for boys who want to break out of the ‘predefined’ role models. Its very sad how pressured kids are by parents assumptions and prejudices.

emac65
    Free Member

We didn’t mind what any of our 3 were just as long as they were healthy……..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We didn’t want to know for our two – it was a fun surprise 🙂

knowing what colour stuff to get

which century is this ? I like all colours – I think my favourite was the orange jump suit :o)

Its very sad how pressured kids are by parents assumptions and prejudices.

now you’re making me feel guilty for taking our little uns fossil hunting – my daughter is now a palaeontologist …

lister

don’t find out, it’s the best surprise of your life.

aracer
    Free Member

And last time I checked, most people tend not to dress boys in dresses and frilly atire…

It’s not compulsory to dress girls in dresses and frilly attire – particularly when they’re little – and if it’s clothing for older children, why the rush to swap it for something different? Apologies for my assumption that your gender stereotyping was deliberate.

tomzo
    Free Member

But that wasnt his point aracer, he said not to put a boy in dresses….

Bez

don’t find out, it’s the best surprise of your life.

How can it possibly be a surprise? Unless you end up with a hermaphrodite or a baby antelope, it’s precisely as surprising as flipping a coin and it coming up heads. You must be terrified of rolling dice 🙂

We’re going with the “don’t find out” option. Two simple reasons and no more: The missus wants the “surprise” (sigh) and I want to avoid being inundated with gifts that are either all blue or all pink. Of course, that means they’ll all be beige, but I suppose at least that’ll hide the puke a bit better.

tomzo
    Free Member

Of course, that means they’ll all be beige, but I suppose at least that’ll hide the puke a bit better.

LOL

Although, I think it would be a suprise, sure you know the possible outcomes, but its a pretty big thing compared to head or tails. Please dont then quote this and say somethingl ike “why does the sex of the child matter?” because it doesn’t, but it just means at work the next day or whenever, you can be like “its a girl, i have a dughter” or vice versa..

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Dont spoil the surprise, as for painting the room the right colour the boy=blue / girl= pink thing is super chavvy in my opinion
    Had to ban those puce pink cards and fluffy trinkets when we had our girl and likewise blue bears when our boy arrived

aracer
    Free Member

Child #1’s room is blue, and he is a boy, but the room was painted before he was born (and we found out what type he was). Anybody want to have a guess what colour the room of child #2 (indeterminate gender) is?

Rivett
    Free Member

No

CHB

Christ, theres some odd responses there! Paint a bedroom blue and suddenly I am an 18th century gender stereotyping mysogenist.
    Flippin tenuous links or what!
    Knowing the kids gender helps a little.
    No I would not want my baby boy to be wearing pink, mainly because you spend all your time explaining to folk that this androgenous looking lump is actually a boy, despite pink clothing.
    Yes my daughter is good at science and engineering and plays with boys toys and fixes bikes. She also likes frilly dresses.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My wife is 30 weeks pregnant with non-identical twins. But we certainly don’t want to find out their sexes before the birth.

Can’t wait though 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Wait and see.

johni
    Free Member

We waited for the birth. Made it much more exciting in my opinion. Knowing the sex and name before birth made there a bit less expectation.

Drac

Waited for both as already said makes a bit more special but health is the most important.

hora
    Free Member

I would want to know everything (i.e. health etc) so I dont think its possible for the sex not to slip out?

clubber
    Free Member

We found out during the 20 week scan (actually considering the pose he gave us – basically a full frontal – even if we hadn’t wanted to know, we would have done…).

Anyway, ‘the suprise’ that is mentioned above was just an earlier surprise for us so I don’t really understand that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

so I dont think its possible for the sex not to slip out?

Just ask the person scanning not to mention the sex of the child(ren) and you don’t need to find out even at the in-depth 20wk scan.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Having had the snip last year ‘Boy or girl’ would not be the first question on my mind……. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘boy or girl, would you want to know?’ is closed to new replies.