Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Boxing glove advice needed please.
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Just got a punch bag for my home gym, just for fitness, coordination etc, but I’m unsure what gloves to get?! I have some wraps ordered and usually wear size large gloves, so with wraps underneath should I go XL?

Thanks in advance.

DezB
    Free Member

Hard to find big bag gloves, I found. Ordered some marked as XL off Amazon and got into a long winded dispute with the seller as they weren’t XL and they sent out another pair the same bloody size.
    Will try to find info the brand I got as they were a decent size and not pricey. (Back soon)

prawny

IIRC bag mitts aren’t anywhere near as fitted as proper gloves, so as long as they don’t just fall off the XLs will do.

If you’ve got some large ones though just see how they fit first?

disclaimer – I’ve done no boxing since I wor a lad in the 80s and then based on 60s advice from my Dad and Uncles

These look better than my old ones – https://www.boxfituk.com/bytomic-workout-bag-gloves-blackred.ir

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m not an expert by any means, but did look into it briefly as I was buying some as a gift. If I recall correctly you buy them by weight not size.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I don’t have particularly big hands, but the ones I have tried so far seem really snug. In the past I just used bag mitts without wraps, but I am getting more safety conscious these days. Some of the online advice was saying to wear heavier gloves for a better workout.

BoardinBob

Yeah, there’s no size as such, just weight.

Personally I use 16oz Twins for padwork and sparring

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is the bag filled and if so what is it filled with?

If it’s not something very heavy like rags or sand it will be a pointless exercise (as well as pointless exercise). The bag needs to be heavy, probably around 50kg otherwise it will swing around wildly and present no resistance to your punches (which is why it will be pointless exercise).

The ideal situation is that it’s hanging in free space with plenty of room to move around it. Even if it is heavy, with you punching it, it will still start to swing. Learning to move around the bag as it moves is part of the exericse.

We used to train on a bag at my old karate club that was filled with sand, weighed aroung 130kg and was something like 1.5m in girth. That thing was a monster and basically didn’t need anyone to hold it but you had to be so careful hitting it!

Hope this helps, I know it’s not what you were orignally asking about.

Bagstard
    Free Member

The bag is filled, not sure what with though, currently 30kg, but I think you could add to it. It will be anchored to the floor with a strong band as I only have 180 degree of space to work with.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Check out your local boxing club they will fit you out with a decent pair that fit properly. You can’t beat having good gloves.

DezB
    Free Member

Here ya go – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162369598550

Just seen, you don’t want bag mitts? As long as hands are wrapped underneath you don’t need full on gloves. Up to you obviously, TurnerMax also do yer proper boxing gloves of course.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just spoke to a friend who is a fighter and he said to go with the mitts and only use wraps on heavy days or you become reliant on them.

They look like the should fit the bill Dez.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just spoke to a friend who is a fighter and he said to go with the mitts and only use wraps on heavy days or you become reliant on them.

We used to use one of these to ‘condition’ the hands:

Leading to your hands looking like this:

BoardinBob

Glupton’s latest alias will be along shortly to tell everyone how the 6 figure salary ninjas in his TKD club don’t need gloves to knock out heavyweights

DezB
    Free Member

Oh blimey, I remember that 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Found the emails I exchanged with the Amazon seller “MaxStrength” – they were crap, but I got all sweary and stroppy with them and got them kicked off Amazon… 😆 Still awaiting the visit!

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are a number of ‘versions’ and schools of TKD. But the one that you see performed at the olympics is a joke. That is neither martial nor art. It’s just shit.

pondo

+1 for a pair of 16ozs.

BoardinBob

Careful now. There’s a mythical TKD club in Edinburgh that could destroy everyone on the UFC roster. If they hear you bad mouthing them, you’re as good as dead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

jimbobo
    Free Member

Get some cheap gloves from sports direct. Bags wreck em and they’ll stink if you’re working hard enough!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Boxing glove advice needed please.’ is closed to new replies.