Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Boxing fans – a question…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Are you PAYING for Eubank Jr.’s fight on ITV?

schedule:
    19:40 – Adam Etches v John Ryder
    20:40 – Kid Galahad v Joseph Agbeko
    21:40 – David Price v Christian Hammer
    22:45 – Chris Eubank Jr v Renold Quinlan

Eubank’s odd are 1/100, so is it even a competitive fight?
    They’re having a laugh, no way I’m paying out another tenner for that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the internet exists so no
    WOnt be watching that but dont do pay per view anyway

Jamie
    Free Member

Paying? ITV?

Explain.

DezB
    Free Member

ITV have invented ITV Box Office, specifically for this, I think as I’ve not heard of it before! Maybe they’re testing the waters? £10 for a night’s boxing.

mikey3
    Free Member

But you have too,haven’t you heard eubank sr saying jr is the best boxer that’s ever walked the earth,how dare you not give them all your money.D day for price again,wonder if he can go more than 3 rounds with out needing oxygen this time

DezB
    Free Member

D day for price again

It’s the only interesting thing on that bill!

Jamie
    Free Member

ITV have invented ITV Box Office, specifically for this, I think as I’ve not heard of it before! Maybe they’re testing the waters? £10 for a night’s boxing.

Oh. I see.

But no, I don’t do PPV apart from Royal Rumble 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t do PPV

I always say that when Sky has em.. then I end up pressing the record button.
    Not this time though, nosiree.
    In the US PPV is something like $40 a pop. And very successful – maybe they’re more used to it!

BoardinBob

I’m a boxing nut

I won’t be paying for this

Not because it’s a bad card, but it’s not good enough for PPV and sets a dangers precedent for the future.

Jamie
    Free Member

In the US PPV is something like $40 a pop. And very successful – maybe they’re more used to it!

True. For example the UFC main events are $60ish a pop, and we get them for ‘free’ on BT Sport. I am a MMA nut, but don’t think I would pay that much to watch. Would just stick to the Fox Fight Night stuff which free to air.

DezB
    Free Member

Not because it’s a bad card, but it’s not good enough for PPV

Agreed – I’d be glued to it if it was on Channel 5!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I read on a boxing forum that only the main event was PPV, the rest of it is free on ITV 4?

Hrd to beleive but if they are doing this then even less reason to pay to see that nugget Jnr in action.

spot
    Free Member

i’m wondering who the hell paid to watch conor mc gregors pressconference thingie the other day

DezB
    Free Member

the rest of it is free on ITV 4

ITV 4 schedule says “Mr Bean”.. No comment.

Jamie
    Free Member

“Mr Bean”

Butterbean?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFsozl4Ai1g[/video]

pondo

Be interested to know the figures – I’d consider it for a card worth watching, not sure I’d watch Eubank Jr if it was on free-to-air.

DezB
    Free Member

Seems Colin Hart agrees “I find it hard to believe there will be many fans prepared to buy it even at £9.95 because this low-key affair is simply not worthy of being a pay-per-view event.”
    (from the Scum)

Best of all, seems his old man is now designing his fight posters! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Butterbean?

The Big daddy of MMA

DezB
    Free Member

Well, he showed a good chin.
    Jump to the 8th
    https://youtu.be/JnjeqqlA-xA

transporter13
    Free Member

I can’t imagine any of the top fighters at either 160 or 168 will be worried about fighting him.

I’d like to see quinlan get a top class trainer, get half the backing that Jr has had and then see how he could do in the top ranks… He seems like a nice guy in all his interviews.

revs1972
    Free Member

Last time I watched PPV boxing was back in ’96 when Bruno fought Tyson

BoardinBob

transporter13 – Member
    I can’t imagine any of the top fighters at either 160 or 168 will be worried about fighting him

Always see folk sharing videos of him “destroying” punchbags etc in the gym.

In reality he has very little power. He’ll no doubt pick up an alphabet title but i doubt he’ll ever be the top man at MW or SMW

mooman
    Free Member

Eubank jr had very average power at middleweight – he seems to have even less at supermiddle.
    He just doesn`t do anything better than average … and for somebody who has has every advantage put his way, it doesnt bode well for his chances of making it at the top.

There are always mugs who will pay for this rubbish; whether there are enough for ITV to continue this charade is another thing.

Only interesting bit about that card was why Andre Ward was there.

DezB
    Free Member

He’ll no doubt pick up an alphabet title

Well, he just has… the IBO title… from a fighter with an 11 fight record.
    His Dad has steered his career this way. Using a ridiculous PPV idea and going for a useless version of the title. Unfotunately Chris Snr is nowhere near a clever as he thinks he is. And Jr. isn’t as good as they think he is. Accurate puncher, but that’s about it.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB

Well, he just has… the IBO title… from a fighter with an 11 fight record.
    His Dad has steered his career this way. Using a ridiculous PPV idea and going for a useless version of the title. Unfotunately Chris Snr is nowhere near a clever as he thinks he is. And Jr. isn’t as good as they think he is. Accurate puncher, but that’s about it.

Isn’t that the standard career path for boxing prospects these days? Create a padded record smashing cans, accrue titles by strategic avoidance of dangerous fights until you make a name for yourself and then you can dictate who you fight on PPV to make the most money and ensure the ruleset and drug tests are in your favour.

Boxing as a big ppv event is dead. Mayweather’s last ppv got less than 800,000 buys. Frampton v Santa Cruz got 480,000. The casual fans have left sport. Dinosaur terrestrial media over here makes it seem like a big deal because they don’t know how to cover MMA.

BoardinBob

Jeebus. I had no idea it was a “title” fight.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Jnrs work rate is excellent and Saunders knows he would start faster next time and likely beat him. DeGale has better skills but not the work rate. GGG would walk him down at present and carries the bigger punch but we’ve not really seen GGG fight under pressure and credit to Eubank as he always turns up to fight.
    Quinlan had equal amounts of toughness and humility, nice bloke.

transporter13
    Free Member

I don’t think eubank has the same power as degla… His main asset is aggression.. If you aren’t intimidated by that and can match his work rate then you have a good chance of beating him

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Boxing fans – a question…’ is closed to new replies.