Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • boxing day beef inspiration needed
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve bought a 2.3kg chunk of good quality topside to roast on Boxing day. (now in the freezer)

Last year I did Tom Kerridge’s treacle beef which was really good, but fancy doing something different this year.

any ideas?

Cougar

Nut roast?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Wellington? The king of food. Just buy a meat thermometer.

freeagent
    Free Member

err… too late – I’ve already bought the beef…

fasthaggis

JUST DO IT 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

Wellington? The king of food. Just buy a meat thermometer

Does Wellington work with Topside?
    When I’ve done it before I’ve always used fillet…

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Beef Tagine?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d go Wellington too..

Well we always do it on Boxing Day, considering we own an Organic Beef Farm it’d be rude not too..

However, 2/3rds of the Family are vegetarian.. Always plenty of Food to go around in our Huddle.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Whilst I’ll admit, I didn’t read the post carefully, I’ve used fillet and silverside (close enough to topside) for wellington. The silverside was when a party demanded wellington but on a budget. It was delicious. I used a duck pate for extra fat during cooking and slow roasted the beef for around 45 minutes (before cooling to room temp.) and then wellingtoned it.

Having gone through my own cooking notes (and got myself salivating) I don’t think I’d put myself through the stress of a wellington with topside. It was stressful and whilst delicious, not a wellington as we’d all expect from fillet.

Classic garlic and herb crust?

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why people buy an expensive piece of beef, then disguise its flavour by making Wellington.

Slow roast for me, with Yorkshires.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The same could be said of any food ransos. I think the very basic and obvious point is that flavours complement each other and that’s the idea behind proper cooking.

Apple and scallop.

Beef and mustard.

Duck and berry.

Lamb and thyme.

Do you ever add sauce to your food? (not talking about eating in the nude)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmm.. sadly your options are limited then.

You could buy a load of porcini mushrooms, soak them in a mix of water and Soy Sauce, coat generously over the beef before putting the garlic & herb crust on. It’ll add a rich flavour, a bit of texture and juice to the crust…

Have fun, sounds lovely anywhichway…

ransos
    Free Member

The same could be said of any food ransos. I think the very basic and obvious point is that flavours complement each other and that’s the idea behind proper cooking.

No, I don’t think the flavours don’t complement each other – the additions disguise the flavour of the beef, unlike the other examples you quote.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d pick an argument about the mother in law’s present and see where that leads…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jamie Olivers mothership roast beef, then I make a gravy with the pan juices (carrots and onions are already in there and squishy) Marsala, and some worcestershire sauce, and a litre of beef stock. Add some plain flour and blitz.

Teh awesumz….

I could just have that gravy on its own tbh!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘boxing day beef inspiration needed’ is closed to new replies.