Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Box Trailer for up to 20 MTB's – suggestions?
  • twosheds
    Free Member

I need a box trailer to transport up to 20 bikes. Anyone seen a good example on their travels or know of a manuafacture that will make a one specfic for bikes. There are quite a few on net but I havent seen one made for bikes. There obviously need be a racking system made to carry the bikes inside.

Cheers……….

cbike
    Free Member

Names that spring to mind, Ifor williams and karitek or a blacksmith of your choice.

Thinking laterally a Burtek trailer or some other bike rack butchered and put inside a box?

CheesybeanZ

how about a horse box with a simple shelf fitted , should take 20 bikes and some kit

jd-boy
    Free Member

I had a Brenderup box trailer about 12 years ago, same as Ifor but with better running gear, made for higher speeds in Europe, It was a 12ft box and I had 12 fork mounts down each side to fix bikes to, and the front wheels just sat on top of the bikes, if you get the spacing right you will not get any damage to bikes. my advice on trailers is get one with proper size car wheels, not the little ones,and be sure to have spare, my Brenderup had the same size as the car at the time. I now have a 7 mtr Humbaur (german built) and this is just the next step up and one fantastic trailer to tug down the road. I have towed Ifors, they tow good but not sure on the finish with their box trailers, for Ag use, they are fantastic, we use a little ifor for moving the Quad and towing behind it when setting race course and it will take the abuse off road. there you go my trailer knowledge, hope it helps

nasher
    Free Member

To be honest I think you will struggle fitting 20 bikes in a box trailer.

I have seen examples done, put took along time to put inside plus the mounted on a QR fork and with todays, 20mm, 15mm, 24mm etc axles that will be a bit difficult.

Why does it need to be a box trailer?

I use a modified burtech one (my mods may be standard now) and has given me faultless running for 4 years and bikes take seconds to go on and off.

br
    Free Member

If it is intended for 'clients' bikes then it must be made so it is impossible for bikes to touch each other, in any way.

project
    Free Member

An old caravan chasis and build your own box.

4 hanging rails 2 at the front and 2 at the back,dont forget good security and some maeans of keeping it attached to vehicle when parked.

Internal lighting, storage for bits and pieces etc.

Eassier to go for a larger luton box van,ample room,lighting ,roller shutter door,3 seats,easier to park and manouvre down narrow lanes,even if you can reverse it round tight bends, the driver coming the other way may not be able to reverse,or just refuses.

genesis
    Free Member

Try Ifor Williams or Brian James they might be able to do a custom one, though as is often the case I suspect it will cost. How about trying DeeFab near Chester do a lot of bespoke conversion work too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Box Trailer for up to 20 MTB's – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.