Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bowderdale, Howgills – North to South or South to North
  • sheeps

Bored at work, and planning an upcoming trip away.

Current thinking is to start north (Kirkby Stephen probably- ‘cos its got a train station) and drop down through Bowderdale, over the Calf, down into Sedburgh and then head off down Dentdale.

However, all the route guides I’ve found seem to suggest doing Bowderdale south to north (opposite to my planning).

Anyone done this and fancy offering their opinion?

(For the record, I’d probably be doing this as a bivy trip, and thus would be reasonably laden)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d go south to north otherwise the last two Km would be hike a bike rather than a great descent.

There are quad-bike tracks on the ridge to the west of Bowderdale that might be a good way to the Calf.

If you are doing a station to station ride you could get to Ribblehead then take the BW over the north end of Whernside to Dentdale then the BW over to Sedbergh, up on to the Calf, down Bowderdale and then on to KS.

martinhutch

Classic route is indeed south to north, descending from the Calf.

But, as you say, if you are laden, you wouldn’t be getting the most out of the descent, which is quite tricky in places and certainly doesn’t flow all the way down to the base.

Would be pretty hard work the other way though. A fair bit of pushing, I reckon.

Why not Pennine Bridleway from KS? Lot of return stations to choose from.

sheeps

Whitestone – that’s largely what I was planning, but in the other direction. Why I didn’t think of reversing it… doh.

(although there was some thought that once I got to Ribblehead I could keep going down the line until I ran out of steam/ needed to get a train home!)

sheeps

martinhutch – did the PB last year. Looking for an alternative.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’d be a bit of hike a bike up from the railway bridge at Blea Moor tunnel entrance but not as much as up Bowderdale.

The disadvantage is that you are generally heading away from the railway for quite a bit rather than towards it when heading south.

martinhutch

There are various BWs down the side of the Howgills (the return leg of the Bowderdale ‘classic’) that will get you going towards Sedbergh. Bit bitty though.

How about KS – out via Nine Standards Rigg towards Keld, then all the good Swaledale stuff to Reeth, over to Castle Bolton, Bainbridge, Cam Fell to Horton?

whitestone
    Free Member

How about KS – out via Nine Standards Rigg towards Keld, then all the good Swaledale stuff to Reeth, over to Castle Bolton, Bainbridge, Cam Fell to Horton?

I did the Bainbridge to Horton part of this on Saturday as part of a (much) longer ride and it’s definitely steady going. After Ling Gill/Calf Holes you can cheekily cut east on the Pennine Way (one bit of pushing up a steep bit) to pick up the langstrothdale track that drops down to the pub in Horton which is better than taking the tarmac lane.

sheeps

Thanks guys… an evening with the maps spread across the living room floor (and a rail timetable) for me then 😀

Oh… and I’ve done that cheeky bit up from Calf Holes before – as you say, a far better run into Horton

danposs86

I used to live in Sedbergh, always enjoyed the descent down back into Sedbergh after going up to the top. Quite a few lines to choose.

lesgrandepotato

Rode Bowderdale both ways yesterday. As long as its dryish which it was) then its pretty much rideable all the way. Certainly the only bit that stopped us was the top bit of the steep ramp onto the calf.

We went from Bowderdale village, then up to the Calf and back. Then a quick loop round Crosby Garrett fell. Nice route about 24miles and 3500ft of ascent.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bowderdale, Howgills – North to South or South to North’ is closed to new replies.