Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Boutique/bespoke frames, if you were to, what and why?
  • jameso

image/fashion are often quite detrimental to bike design,

Couldn’t agree more there. There’s more choice in ‘useful’ bikes now than there has been for a long time but racing still has a disproportional influence on bike fashion and design. Has a positive influence in some ways, but not all.

qwerty
    Free Member

Having looked at the Fat Chance site, i don’t think it really offers you a custom frame build, rather it offers some customization of a Fat Chance frame.

molgrips
    Free Member

The concept has never done anything for me.

My mate has a custom Shand and besides the admittedly superb custom paint job it’s almost exactly the same as my Salsa 🙂

Yak

Having looked at the Fat Chance site, i don’t think it really offers you a custom frame build, rather it offers some customization of a Fat Chance frame.

I know. Still, it’s important to have the right number of bottle bosses and a proper paintjob.

Anyway, it’s a Yo Eddy…. so it’s gotta be good 😀

clodhopper
    Free Member

“I see the opposite,there are some really good options for more ‘do it all’ bikes from main brands and frame builders now.”

I’m not seeing anything in the shops that seems to fit all my requirements. A few ‘CX’ bikes, but often with not great tyre/mud clearance. The CdF has clearance for ‘up to’ a 42c tyre, but not if you’ve fitted mudguards, when the max tyre useable is a lot narrower (32c or thereabouts apparently. Mudguards also need to be a reasonable distance from the tyre itself, as too narrow a gap can clog up. So, a rigid forked ’29er’ seems more practical, but then all seem to come with a higher front end than I want. And hardly any seem to come with rack and guard mounts.

The only bikes that seem to closely fit my requirements are hybrids, but there doesn’t seem to be anything off the peg that’s of the quality I want (mostly lower end steel and alloy frames). Lighter, fancier hybrids sacrifice stuff like tyre clearance for ‘sporty’ geometry. Or there’s ‘expedition’ bikes which are too heavy. So custom built is increasingly looking like the only option.

shandcycles
    Free Member

My mate has a custom Shand and besides the admittedly superb custom paint job it’s almost exactly the same as my Salsa

Of course it is. The geometry is identical, the tubing is exactly the same, the BB shell, dropouts, headtube and cable guides are all carbon copies (pun intended) of the Salsa. No difference at all. Even the lifetime warranty is the same.

scotroutes

If I bought one Steven, could you apply some Salsa decals to it?

TIA 😆

shandcycles
    Free Member

If I bought one Steven, could you apply some Salsa decals to it?

just peel ours off, the Salsa ones are still underneath.

scotroutes

clodhopper
    Free Member

I think the point Molgrips was trying to make, was that there appears to be no tangible benefits of the bespoke frame, over an off the peg one.

fasthaggis

Depends how you feel about the whole process.
    It’s a bit like buying a book on Amazon or in your local bookshop,you still end up with a good read,but do you enjoy it more because you liked chatting with the person in the shop?

Andy

clodhopper – Member
    I think the point Molgrips was trying to make, was that there appears to be no tangible benefits of the bespoke frame, over an off the peg one.

and i think the point Shand was making is “tangible” is defined by the user. I wish I’d bought a Shand instead of my Tripster now 🙁

@Shand any plans on a 29er plus drop bar adventure bike (other than a restickered deadwood 😉 )?

highlandman
    Free Member

Bought the Mrs a custom Shand road/tourer (Stoater) recently (thank you, Steven) and it has built up beautifully into a really useful, ride anything road bike. It is more than the sum of the parts- simply, it gets her out with enthusiasm regularly. She uses all sorts of strange words like sprightly, fast, zingy when one of her pals asks for a description of what’s so special about it. It’s also a thing of beauty and gave her the confidence to hammer down the Mam Ratagan pass in Kintail a couple of weekends ago.

Clodhopper, there’s stacks of room on a current CdeFer for big tyres and mudguards, I reckon I could fit a 42c AND guards on mine. currently has 32C slicks on and there is acres of space around them.

highlandman
    Free Member

One benefit for my Laura with her Shand- no-one makes a steel road/tourer/cross frame that actually fits her without noticeable compromises. The custom small Stoater really does fit properly.

bencooper
    Free Member

That kind-of sums up the advantage of a custom frame – you don’t have to compromise.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Clodhopper, there’s stacks of room on a current CdeFer for big tyres and mudguards, I reckon I could fit a 42c AND guards on mine.”

I’ve tried this on a bike in a shop, and there doesn’t appear to be much space between the tyre and guard. That was only with a 35c tyre though.

“and i think the point Shand was making is “tangible” is defined by the user”

But isn’t this very subjective? I’d imagine someone who has spent a lot of money on a custom frame, to be quite keen on it being right, and perhaps reticent to be completely objective and honest about any faults it may have.

Andy

But isn’t this very subjective?

Yes thats exactly what I meant when I said

defined by the user

Just as your view that they wouldn’t

be completely objective and honest about any faults it may have.

is also very subjective….

Oh and on the CDF/”adventure bike” personally I wouldnt get a bike again that couldnt take a biggish (2.2″+) tyre when needed. Maybe that would mean something like a Pact from Brant 😀

ransos
    Free Member

But isn’t this very subjective?

That’s the point, isn’t it? I prefer vinyl to MP3…

I’d imagine someone who has spent a lot of money on a custom frame, to be quite keen on it being right, and perhaps reticent to be completely objective and honest about any faults it may have.

Reticent about faults due to their incorrect specification, perhaps. But faulty workmanship by the builder? I’d expect the customer to be jumping up and down.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Boutique/bespoke frames, if you were to, what and why?’ is closed to new replies.