Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Boutique bikes and guilt
  • hora
    Free Member

If I had 4k I’d buy a 4k road bike. Im not even into roadbikes. Mountain bikes are meant to be gritted, dropped, fallen off and abused.

Buy a lapierre if you keep bikes.

SC are **** bikes unless you are paid to ride them professionally (ex SC fan here)

andrewh
    Free Member

If you can afford it just get the one you like the best.
    (I own a lot of nice carbon bling and it is lovely to ride. I also have a very rusty van which cost a fraction of the price of the bikes, it’s all about priorities)
    Was chatting some mates the other day, one is after a new road frame, found a nice one at about £3.5k, cue comments along the lines of ‘that’s a bargain’ and ‘that’s a lot of bike for the money’ (it was very nice) but these are the same people who go into car dealers and say ‘Two grand!? For a car?! I’m not spending that.’
    My current bikes to van ratio is about 9.5:1 in terms of price, much better to spend it on bikes than cars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are meant to be gritted, dropped, fallen off and abused.

Couldn’t agree more.

Also if you were to budget 4k and parts bin your old bike, you could have some fun in the sales and classifieds building up a big bike replacement (maybe a NP mega or an Ariel frame for example) and a hard tail and probably still have some change.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

SC are **** bikes unless you are paid to ride them professionally (ex SC fan here)

That’s the biggest load of complete bollocks I’ve seen you post, and there’s been a bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hora – Member
    If I had 4k I’d buy a 4k road bike. Im not even into roadbikes. Mountain bikes are meant to be gritted, dropped, fallen off and abused.

Was Hora once riding for SC?

My bikes are abused, they also can cost a lot. I also don’t change them every 10mins which a lot in here seem to do. Spending £4k if I had it would end up with a bike for 4/5 years for me. Sounds fairly reasonable. My current bikes are 09/10’s with older parts.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Why do some folk say such silly things in such sweeping generalisations?
    Santas are great bikes but they ARE expensive – same goes for Mojos and other Ibis bikes, and also for Yetis.

I always buy second hand – that way you can afford a top end bike, often one which has actually had very little use, for half original price or less. I don’t understand why they do it, but there seems to be a steady stream of guys who buy amazing bits of pricey kit and then ride twice to their local shop and once along a tow path – and then sell. And bless em all – where would I be without them?

I follow the same line of practice with cars, only I start a bit lower down the pre-loved chain. Quality makes with lots of extras, FSH but high miles – 5 star bangernomics!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve owned 2 Santa Cruz bikes in the last few years, I liked them, but be under no illusions, the high price of SC is mostly as a result of clever marketing to make people think they are buying a boutique brand. It’s not at all, but they do make very good bikes.

The 2nd last bike I build was from new parts and was a treat to myself after living away on business for many months where it wasn’t practical for me to ride. Thinking about and planning that bike kept my spirits up as weekend after weekend went past when I couldn’t get on a bike.

It was immensely satisfying to build, but cost over £5k. As soon as I’d built it, it occurred to me that it was probably costing me £100 every time I took it out (it was a DH bike so only used a few times a month max).

Fortunately(!!!) I had a reasonably serious injury which meant no riding for a couple of years. I decide to sell the DH bike and recovered a fair chunk of my costs. In all honesty, I was quite relieved. It was an unnecessary purchase and a bike which id never be able to ride well enough or often enough to get full value from it.

…..fast forward 2 years…..

It’s finally time to get back in the saddle and I wanted to build something up on a more modest budget. I’ve just spent the last month building up a Dialled Alpine which will be out for its maiden voyage this weekend.

I can honestly say that building it was at least as much fun as building my last bike, and I know from previous experience that once I’m hooning it around trails the cost is the last thing on my mind. The difference this time is that I spend about 1/8th of the amount!

That said, spending money on bikes can be very satisfying (to a point), it’s just being able to work out when your own point is and being able to stick to it.

I’m rubbish at that, I’ve already started looking at building an Evil Undead once I know the frames don’t break this time 🙂

Long story short, you’ll probably be happy riding whatever you buy, only you bank balance will notice the biggest difference.

stevied
    Free Member

I’d love to be in a position to spend £4K on a bike…very jealous. I’ve had fun over many years buying 2nd hand where I can/new when I can afford it (or really want it).
    I added up all average price for the parts on my current (boutique) Intense and it came out to over £4.5K. After buying/selling bits and pieces the bike has actually cost me approx £1500. It’s got a complete new drivechain and wheels. The rest has been procured 2nd hand…

Paceman
    Free Member

Wrecker: That’s the biggest load of complete bollocks I’ve seen you post, and there’s been a bit.

+1 what a stupid comment, they’re expensive and not necessarily to everyone’s taste, but clearly very good bikes, particularly the VPP ones.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think what Peterfile is saying is very true. Personally I quite enjoy the whole sourcing parts and building something up even if it’s not that flash…even more so if it’s shiny and new

I usually buy a lot of stuff like frames and forks second hand and am only consideri g buying a new one because for once I am in the position to do so.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I ride a ’boutique’ piece of americana. I feel no guilt.

Suck it.

flange
    Free Member

Ha….hahahah…hahahahaha

Because they’re known as Snapierre because they don’t crack right?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Boutique bikes and guilt’ is closed to new replies.