Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Boundry wall advice required,before it falls down.
  • project
    Free Member

I own a property in a large purpose built block of appartments, at the rear is a wall about 50 foot long and about 10 foot high,going past 2 other properties.

Problem is the wall in question is probably over a hundred years old,and is buckleing badly in one place,the property that is on the other side of the wall has its garden to near the top of the wall and is on a higher level,how do we find out who is responsible for the wall and who pays for it to be taken down,piled and rebuilt,there are access problems getting to it,low headroom and the neighbours vegetable patch.

theflatboy
    Free Member

if you've got a leasehold property in your block then it won't be you, or at least not directly. do the management company/freeholders know about it?

project
    Free Member

I am one of the directors of the management committee.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ah right 😀

well as far as i understand, if it's directly on the boundary then it's a 50/50 split, with each party responsible for their own half. so if it's urgent then i would get it done then invoice said neighbour for the costs of the wall and whatever extras for the access, ideally with their go-ahead.

i am literally no expert, though.

project
    Free Member

The neighbours may not realise they have a problem yet.

theflatboy
    Free Member

this is a nice chat we're having, isn't it? 🙂

this may sound patronising, but if you know there's a problem then shouldn't you, as one of the directors, tell them?

either way, if it's an emergency then you would be within your rights to just get it sorted and invoice them.

MikeG

you will need to check the deeds of the freehold to see if they specify who is responsible, if yours don't say then you'll need to see the neighbouring ones, easy if the properties are registered potentially tricky if not.

Gooner
    Free Member

check deeds as said. there should be a 'T' mark indicating who owns/is responsble for it
    my understanding is that if it is not stated on the deeds it will probably belong to the property that is being "retained" (they are the ones benefitting from the wall)although this general
    however in reality it may be easier, quicker etc to accept a 50:50 cost/responsibility split
    boundary ownerships are notoriously difficult to establish if they are not indicated on the deeds
    see a property lawyer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Boundry wall advice required,before it falls down.’ is closed to new replies.