• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • boundary width around property?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have a property that as far as land goes its footprint only. the gits who own the land to one side, to which i pay an annual fee just to walk accross, are demanding i remove my wheelie bin as ‘allegedly’ its on their land. it sits tight to the back door of my place.

i was under the impression that around any property you had a permissable boundary, 2ft rings a bell. anyone know anything about this?

Stoner
    Free Member

How thick is a pencil line?

Whole can’o’wurms boundaries. There’s nothing so arbitrary as a leeway distance around a building. A boundary is usually in reference to something on the ground. It’s the absence of the reference (fence, water course, line between two buildings etc) that cause problems and when you sometimes have to get pros in. Check out Cadastre (great word)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastre

If you pay a licence fee for access then you dont have any rights to store materials (or bins) on the pathway unless it says so in your licence.

Why do you have a licence and not an easement anyway? In theory can they not withdraw their grant of access whenever they want?

mrmo
    Free Member

they own the land? you want to dump your bin on it?

Check the access agreement carefully, but they do own the land.

trout
    Free Member

Hang the bin on the wall

Sandwich

If the bin overhangs their path/land it’s a technical trespass and you can be asked to move it. (As pointed out to a previous neighbour who told me to mind her gas pipes which overhung the access passage leading to the rear of all the properties. A reasonably cheap bill that one!

qwerty
    Free Member

Hang the landowner on the wall

rocketman
    Free Member

We had a mild dispute at a previous address with the neighbours who claimed the 6″ no-man’s-land gap between our properties was theirs so they could build their single-storey extension right up to it.

Only problem was that our carport had already been built with the same mentality and the guttering was over the gap – so they built the extension with a recess in the wall to accomodate our guttering.

Solictors kindly sent us what can only be described as a pirate’s map of the properties which was no help whatsoever.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As I understand it you land stops at your back door, so the neighbours are correct.

I think what you are confusing is that today from a planning permission perspective you’d not be allowed to build to within 1m (ie 3ft) of the boundary. So today you couldn’t build your property right up to the boundary, this stops this sort of issue.

I’ve never hear of a permissable boundary, waht you are suggesting is that you can use some of your neighbours land.

I see you pay a fee for access, this makes sense to the other landowner as it affirms the fact that the land is theirs and you are being granted temporary access. I assume this was all apparent at the time you bought the property. To be honest I don’ see why you are describing the landowner as a git. I imagine your property was cheaper than it would have been if you owned the access.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

To be honest I don’ see why you are describing the landowner as a git.

i won’t go into detail jambalaya, but if you knew the entire story, and its a very long story that does truly head into the realms of farce, you would understand why. my post was a head in my hands ‘you’ve got to be kidding, are these people for real’ reaction to the latest installment.

to all that replied…thanks all for the info, seems i was wrong oh well.

footflaps

How did you end up in a situation paying your neighbour for access – seems a nightmare as they could just keep upping the fee?

onehundredthidiot

Is any of their grass touching your property. Bet you could get really arsey about things if that’s how they want to play it.

Ewan
    Free Member

How long did your bin sit there before they complained – if it’s been years it may be too late for them to disagree.

Anyway, get on http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk and enjoy the many many threads on boundary disputes!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘boundary width around property?’ is closed to new replies.