Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Bouncers – channel 4
  • Pook

Last week I had a bit of sympathy for them. This week’s are just typical stereotypical licensed thugs.

Tough job, but these two are too keen to get stuck in.

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t think they are that bad really so long as you stick to the house rules you should be fine.

Sometimes I would just walk around the area just to see people behaving like clowns … 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you still feel the same at the end of the show, Pook? Think they came across ok.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    transporter13
    Free Member

Those 2 are some of the better doormen around.
    Some that I’ve worked with in the past have been the most obnoxious people I’ve ever cared to share space with. A lot are just plain bullies. One of the reasons I stopped doing the job in the end.
    In fact, one of my old head doormen was murdered not so long ago due to the fact that he bullied the wrong person one night.

spacemonkey

Irrespective of who and what they (the bouncers) are, it’s the punters that wind me up. A sad indictment of our culture today. Upsetting when you have kids of your own to raise.

loddrik
    Free Member

There are bouncers on subway and mcdonalds nowadays. Wtf?!!

TooTall
    Free Member

The Greggs at the top of the Bigg Market near The Gate in Newcastle has a bouncer. Back in the day I worked the doors in Newcastle for 3.5 years and seeing a bouncer on a bakers was a bit of an eye-opener 😯

legalalien
    Free Member

I worked the doors in Blackburn for about 6 years in the 90s. Worked with some wonderful, selfless people and also some animals who shouldn’t be let anywhere near that kind of responsibility. A bit like some STWers and keyboards… 😛

warton
    Free Member

Those bouncers were sound.

Compare them to the Rockshots bouncers of the 90s 😯

You were in serious trouble if you pissed them off!

renton
    Free Member

Ive just finished reading “Watch my back” by Geoff Tompson.

Bit of a good book really and also an eye opener into the world of a bouncer.

Worth a read

aphex_2k
    Free Member

GT is a top bloke.

Would not do door work, ever. Nosireebob.

footflaps

As a general rule, I avoid anywhere with bouncers on the doors as it seems to be a good indicator as to which pubs / clubs attract the nutters…..

ninfan
    Free Member

I still miss the mayfair 🙁

theocb
    Free Member

I caught five mins of this the other night.

Some old chap had pretty much passed out at a table at closing time so two bouncers had to get him out, they dragged him to the door as he couldn’t walk by himself and stood him up outside and sent him on his way… He took 2 steps and hit the deck smashing his eye socket on the floor

Do the Bouncers or the Pub have a duty of care when someone clearly can’t walk by themselves?

loddrik
    Free Member

Just watching this now.

The world of bouncers has changed massively since the 90’s, some proper loons on the doors up here around then. Nowadays it just seems to be wannabe cage fighters, definitely not in the same league in terms of attitude and unpredictability. I guess the plod have done a good job getting that sort of person away.

I remember The State in liverpool in the early 90’s, the doormen would be battering people every week, robbing people, ended up with a few of them getting shot whilst working one Christmas Eve.

binners

You think those guys are thugs? Seriously? Seemed pretty reasonable blokes trying to cope with a relentless stream of pissed up idiots

I worked behind the bar in the Hacienda during the whole Madchester/gunchester thing. The bouncers were all serious gangsters, proper hard-as-nails career criminals! Into allsorts. And some of them were out-and-out psychopaths. I’ve seen some proper scary shit. People taking some genuinely shocking beatings dished out for maybe spilling the wrong lunatics drink, then just dumped out by the canal at the back, unconscious and bleeding

stewartc
    Free Member

From my experience of doing bar work in the 90’s most of the bouncers seemed to be part of the local drug gangs and were doing the bouncing side as a way to control the supply in the clubs.
    Most I knew seemed OK and not keen to cause too much trouble, resolving most problems quickly without violence, less chance of the police being involved that way.

Jamie
    Free Member

The bouncers were all serious gangsters, proper hard-as-nails career criminals! Into allsorts.

Bertie Basset has a lot to answer for.

Liquorice. Just say no, kids.

saxabar
    Free Member

doing the bouncing side as a way to control the supply in the clubs

A familiar story in early 90s Hull too.

chakaping
    Free Member

This week’s are just typical stereotypical licensed thugs.

Did we watch the same show? About the gay pubs?

I thought they were quite restrained in dealing with some awkward little ****.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Into all sorts?

I thought it was Quality Street?

iolo
    Free Member

some proper loons on the doors up here around then

Are you saying that guy who threatened to shoot the bouncers last night was sane?
    He really put the wind up one of the doormen. And you must admit he looked completely pyschotic.

warton
    Free Member

I still miss the mayfair

me too, my mates used to run the drop on a friday night. Happy days!
    but, the bouncers there weren’t the that pleasant either!

kimbers

had a couple of ‘mates’ who were bouncers on the pier nightclub in Aberystwyth at uni

thy were both a bit unbalanced and consumed a lot of steroids and speed, they just loved to fight- and after rugby tournaments etc they would get really excited about the coming violence, being a bouncer was a job and hobby combined

flyingmonkeycorps

being a bouncer was a job and hobby combined

A jobby?

TooTall
    Free Member

my mates used to run the drop on a friday night

I knew those guys – Si and the others. My mum and dad met at the Mayfair!

I mostly worked the Riverside and occasional band-based security at the Mayfair, Trent House, World HQ, Barley Mow and the Poly and the Uni. We kept out of the Bigg Market lunacy until Shindig arrived at the Riv and it all went clubland drug downhill with the dodgy punters.
    Newcastle was interesting then – before proper door licensing came in. I was working the night Viv Graham was shot and we all thought that was going to kick everything off but it didn’t. I learned a lot about people then and it has served me well to this day. I was lucky to work with a bunch of big bloked who could talk to people and believed that having to lay hands on someone was a failure.

RustySpanner

binners – Member

You think those guys are thugs? Seriously? Seemed pretty reasonable blokes trying to cope with a relentless stream of pissed up idiots

I worked behind the bar in the Hacienda during the whole Madchester/gunchester thing. The bouncers were all serious gangsters, proper hard-as-nails career criminals! Into allsorts. And some of them were out-and-out psychopaths. I’ve seen some proper scary shit. People taking some genuinely shocking beatings dished out for maybe spilling the wrong lunatics drink, then just dumped out by the canal at the back, unconscious and bleeding

I stopped going to the Hac for this very reason.
    An amazing, inspirational nightclub became a very dangerous place to frequent.
    It was difficult to get in unless you were ‘known’.
    We’d been going for a while, to various nights, at that point & despite having long hair and the wrong trousers had started to feel at home.
    The atmosphere changed completely – the little booths at the back were just taken over by thugs and woe betide anyone who did the slightest thing they could possibly take offence at.

The music ceased to be the thing.

Konspiracy & the Thunderdome were just dodgy from the start – a mate of mine, a dope dealer and major acid casualty from the festival scene started operating at the Thunderdome and very soon had acquired a couple of ‘minders’, who just fleeced him mercilessly.
    There was nothing we could do – that was made very clear to us.

Don’t get me wrong, we had some great nights in both places, a proper ‘FU’ vibe, everyone welcome, but they coincided with heavier drugs becoming more prevalent, as they had on the free festival scene a few years before.

Thus ended the dream.
    We all lost.

I gave up on dance clubs and went back to my punk/rock roots – it was safer and the drugs suited my haircut.

The Banshee, a family owned club, employed honest, decent, non steroidal doormen.
    Jilly’s/Rockworld continued with local motorcycle gang refugees on the door, lead by Sarge, who was a thoroughly nice bloke and treated people with decency and respect.
    I’d been going to both on a weekly basis since I was 15 and the only trouble I ever saw in 10-15 years was a bloke having the shit kicked out of him for trying to bite my ear off. 😯

Sorry for the rant – Her indoors is away for weekend and I’ve just had The Dust Junkys/North – Sound of the Dance Underground on. 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

We’d been going for a while, to various nights, at that point & despite having long hair and the wrong trousers had started to feel at home.

These ones?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I lad that I was at uni with worked as a bouncer-he used to sell all the phones that he’d nicked from people in halls. Utter bell end.

RustySpanner

Same cut, but the label was at the back.

TooTall
    Free Member

I lad that I was at uni with worked as a bouncer-he used to sell all the phones that he’d nicked from people in halls. Utter bell end.

I would think that someone knowing what he was doing and not dobbing him in was a bigger bell end, but that’s just me and my twisted former bouncer logic.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha cheers for that Too Tall….I’m a bigger bell end than a bloke punching people and robbing their phones. Epitome of bouncer mentality that is.

TooTall
    Free Member

Epitome of bouncer mentality that is.

Apathy is the worst crime. You knew what he was doing and made a decision not to stop him doing it. You are a coward and as bad as he was.

Jamie
    Free Member

This thread needs bouncers on the door.

Keep out the riff-raff 8)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Apathy is the worst crime.

Quite the philosopher, aren’t you.

Gary_C

legalalien – Member

I worked the doors in Blackburn for about 6 years in the 90s.

Did you work with/know Taffy ?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha cheers again for that.

Let me just sketch out the scenario for you a little more….I only knew him and of his actions from when he would turn up at an open mic night that we organised (he was in halls with a guy on my course) I wasn’t in halls and didn’t even know his name, I just heard his boasts and once saw him with a few phones on him. At the time I was 18 and 10 stone…..he was a roided up meat head twice my size and for whatever reason seemed pretty popular at uni. Was it wrong that I didn’t dob him in…well maybe, like I said, I knew very little about him (I didn’t even know where he worked) and didn’t live on campus so had very little dealings with student services etc.

Am I as big a coward as him…..nope I don’t think many sane people would agree with that! Interesting that you’re coming across all confrontational with no chance of actually coming to harm, like I said before, you appear to epitomize the mentality that I have encountered in countless moronic bouncers and appear pretty cowardly yourself.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Apathy is the worst crime.

Really? I would have thought one of those child rape murder type things would have been the worst.
    Just my view, i wouldn’t normally bother to post, but then realised what a serious crime that would be.

ton

well said Tom B……. 😆

just my twopenneth, when I was growing up, if you were a bouncer/doorman, you were seen has someone who thought himself to be a hardman.
    and all the local lads went out of their way to prove otherwise.

most bouncers did not stay on the doors for long.

nick1962
    Free Member

Life should mean life for apathetics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bouncers – channel 4’ is closed to new replies.