• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by servo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bought silly wheels (I can't believe wit I've done)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Not like me, but I’m all giddy.

Virtually unused Lightweight Standards with Zipp Ti Q/R’s and Veloflex Carbon tubs.
    FMB sub 1100g

Can’t wait to get racing now.

Sorry but I only usually spend a few bob, but I ain’t getting any younger.

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome! Let’s hope you don’t crash ’em!

oldgit
    Free Member

Coz if I do I’m ####ed!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dude, nice choice,

Look after them, my set of “most” Lightweights were a sod to keep true, do 300 clicks on them and report back 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

These can’t be trued. All bonded, spokes are a continous run.

njee20
    Free Member

Bloke I met a few times used them for his winter wheels, found them extremely durable.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I have no idea if this is a good or a bad thing?

njee20
    Free Member

Depends how you feel about £2500 wheels?

woodster

Ah, “no excuses” wheels, must be the confidence of the new year! Enjoy! :mrgreen:

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I actually trashed a Lightweight front and rear through my own incompetence . The front was loaned to me for a season but the first time I put it on the Lightweight QR actually locks at an angle of more than 90 degrees so that when you ride it the spokes can actually foul on it , that’s what happened to me and a spoke broke and they cant be repaired . Last year I was loaned a Lightweight disc wheel by the same person ( he has more money than he can spend ) and while on the bike rack the heat from the exhaust caused it to crack . I don’t think I have ever broken anything cycle related before and was pretty embarrased to say the least .

TiRed

Nationals RR opens today for entries. Get in! Hillingdon still has a winter series 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Arrhhh much!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I once punctured in the Rutland Melton cycleclassic. Our team owner stopped and handed me his lightweight so I could carry on racing. I waited for the service car, didn’t want to be responsible for damaging it later. I have a rule of never race anything I’m not prepared to write off in a crash.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bonded ??

You sure ??

Brave man, hoping you have a good replacement deal with them,

Actually I’m sue they’ll be fine, but blimey they’ll look blingy and you’ll be the talk of the club for quite some time.

Enjoy, report wobbles 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

Nationals RR opens today for entries. Get in! Hillingdon still has a winter series

Don’t be daft, CX still then I slope off to get ready for May.

tpbiker
    Free Member

nice…

but what happens when the go out of true then?

sq225917
    Free Member

Carbon rims don’t go out of true, they are rigid and don’t deform like alloy ones. If you knock them out of true it’s because you’ve stretched your spokes. (Which you can’t do on the lightweights as they too are carbon). Replacing the stretched spokes will straighten them. Not the same as truing a bent alloy rim.

oldgit
    Free Member

but what happens when the go out of true then?

They can’t, they’re either working or broken.
    The spoke is flat carbon and bonded into the rim. One spoke runs from the rim and wraps around the hub and goes back up to the rim to form the second spoke and so on. They are also bonded where they cross.
    So they are bonded at the hub, the rim and where they cross.
    The hubs are DT Swiss 240s internals so easy to service.
    The braking surface can be re coated by Lightweight.

One question though. I’ll obviously run carbon pads, but I have another set of race wheels for crappy weather. They’re scandium, can I run the carbon pads on those and keep swapping. Or is it best to change pads?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d change them on wear factor alone. get some cheap normal pads for the alloy rims then some Swisstop Greys (the old yellows) for your new sexy carbon rims..
    Doesn’t take long to change them does it.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the new wheelset..

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Sounds like a nice purchase, although we need to see a picture of them installed on your bike so we can pick them apart, (or at least the carpet, lawn, fence) 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Odd build Chef.

SRAM equipped 853 Volare, partly being built to keep my heart happy but with some bit leaning towards practical modern racing gear.
    My only ambition is to get higher up the top ten in LVRC races.

Should be finished next week.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That sounds really nice, Lightweights aren’t super deep so they should go well with the thinner tubing of the Volare.

As for SRAM doubletap, well each to their own 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

As for SRAM doubletap, well each to their own

I know what you mean, but my racing is a pretty simple affair with few gear changes. So I like the way the bang into gear, not buttery but when under pressure they’re very sure.

Also a cheap way into light components, only Force the weight saving from Red didn’t seem worth it, the wheels will be compensating for a lot.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I love those Volare’s, get a pic up Oldgit!

Watched an old dude absolutely batter a set of Lightweights through a messy wet (flooded!) reliability ride once, we were riding through Mahooosive puddels every 2 minutes and the road was littered with crap and potholes, still amazed no one went over the bars that day, I was well impressed!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Get them insured oldgit. You’ve seen what happens around hillingdon. LVRCs can be a bit ‘crashy’ too. A friend of mine has got through two pairs. First set broke of their own accord but the company he bought them from in America went bust and Lightweight wouldn’t cover them. Second set went exploded in a race in France. Third set are still going nicely. Yes, he does have a lot of money to burn!

servo
    Free Member

I have a pair of Zipp 404 tubulars that I bought a few years ago and I share them with my wife. She uses them for time trials and I do the odd road race.

I only use carbon specific brake pads with the Zipps. Brake pads used with alloy rims get little bits of aluminium embedded in them which will mess up the braking surface on your new carbon wheels.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bought silly wheels (I can't believe wit I've done)’ is closed to new replies.