Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Bought a used bike- Not happy! How to proceed?
  • charliedontsurf

If the damage is non structural, ride the bike, a few scratches and scuffs won’t make it to slower. 6 months down the line you would of added to them. Mountain bikes crash down mountains, it’s what they are for. Bikes are only perfect when they are brand new.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Seems strange, they have no contract of insurance with the person receiving the parcel, so don’t see why they would do that ?

Which companies are you using as I’ve never seen that before ?

Not always the case. I had a situation recently where I bought some wheels off someone & they were sent* via Parcelforce, I claimed directly.

*when I say sent, the box looked like it had been dropped in the sea, then kicked from one end of the country to the other, and finally run over for good measure…

They sent the cheque directly to me (receiver).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

As annoying as it is, if its just cosmetic stuff i’d ride it too. Small claims court would be a massive pain, take ages, and could be quite difficult to get the money even if you win.

alexxx
    Free Member

name and shame

Sodajim

basically all you’ve done in the 4 weeks you’ve been on the site is either offer to sell or buy lots of very high end kit

Tis a touch curious OP but chapau if its legit!

Blur LT Carbon
    2012 Stumpy Evo Expert Carbon
    2012 Orange Gyro
    Carbon Nomad

Nice shed can you lend me a fiver!

wwaswas

Does seem odd that the OP is still offering sight unseen on expensive bikes after posting this thread.

Not doubting the issue they’ve had with the Nomad but also curious as to whether they’re trading in stuff they’ve bought.

Sodajim

Blur LT Carbon
    2012 Stumpy Evo Expert Carbon
    2012 Orange Gyro

All for sale by Op

Carbon Nomad

Just bought

Hora did you win the Euro’s and not spilt the beans?! 🙂

Sorry I’ll leave you both alone now!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If the damage is non structural, ride the bike, a few scratches and scuffs won’t make it to slower. 6 months down the line you would of added to them. Mountain bikes crash down mountains, it’s what they are for. Bikes are only perfect when they are brand new.

Way to miss the point, Charlie! WHOOSHHHH! There it goes, right over you head! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

The OP would have either adjusted his price offered OR….as its carbon he might not have even paid for the thing.

I’ve done this before- had forks described as new/mint. Turned up needing a service etc and promptly sent them back. Only once did I keep said item.

OP there was a thread on here last week about a private buyer looking for redress with some good (legal) pointers on there:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/second-hand-bike-purchase-seller-wont-refund

I most certainly wouldn’t chalk it up to experience/blame myself. You’ve been clearly mislead in its description. If the seller had been honest you’d have offered a great chunk less. Ergo hes been dishonest.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Loads of “it’s only cosmetic” comments.

The OP wrote

There’s marks on the fork stantions

which I wouldn’t consider just cosmetic given it’s a sealing surface. And a new CSU is typically, what, £300?

I’d be digesting the thread linked by Hora above and going down the small claims route.

hora
    Free Member

Keep all correspondence of course.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Get a new BB, give it a bit of elbow grease and tlc and learn from it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Interestingly, the OP was interested in my 5spot I’ve been selling. Didn’t get any feedback from him either way though.

Something smells a bit funny here.

uwe-r
    Free Member

No winners in this situation, whatever action you take.

Just serves to highlight the folly in making big purchases on the internet without being able to pay in cash after being able to kick the tyres.

Also if you are selling stuff you need to protect yourself against the goods not turning up, damage in transit and misleading people in the first place. The seller in this instance has acted appallingly by not putting a bit of effort in and being honest, then not bothering to pack it properly, shameful given the value and a small claims is in order.

hora
    Free Member

and learn from it.

Someones obviously loved riding it, now fancies something else and misdescribes it to get more money and you’d chalk it upto experience?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Someones obviously loved riding it, now fancies something else and misdescribes it to get more money and you’d chalk it upto experience?

Yes, If i was the OP i would certainly not be buying a 3k bike again with only a single photo and a random guy’s description from this “experience”

Plenty of people have suggested small claims court. I didn’t want to sound like a broken record repeating everything that other have said. IMHO opinion small claims is more hassle than its worth for this sort of thing.

honourablegeorge

charlie the bikemonger – Member

I’d agree totally. But if I bought a bike form you and it was scratched in transit, you’d be getting it back. 🙂

That said, I have sympathy for the OP, but he’s been far, far too trusting.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

IMHO opinion small claims is more hassle than its worth for this sort of thing.

I agree.

I’ve been for a claim of 3k, and it took over 18 months to get the money. In all likelihood the hearing would be held near the defendants address, which means a day off work, and given my experience i’d be very surprised if you ever got the money.

Only the OP can make the judgement call as to whether its worthwhile.

I realise this leaves an unpleasant feeling of someone “getting away with it” but its just being realistic. Thats why you need to be careful buying stuff 2nd hand. Theres not much you can do when it goes wrong. This is reflected in the low price of 2nd hand goods.

eBay/paypal provides *some* protection, and prices are higher on there.

I fear some people are paying “eBay/paypal prices” for 2nd hand stuff that doesn’t come with the same protection for the buyer.

hora
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel if someone in Portsmouth ripped me off for £100 I’d spend £100, a day off work going there and recovering the money plus costs in person.

Its not ‘is it worth the hassle’ but principle and how you live your life/strive to live.

The lesson is make the chap chalk it upto experience/learn his lesson not you sucking it up.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Hi
    Two things that may help you feel better….!

We all make mistakes… I was ripped off on Gumtree cos l got excited about getting a Yeti. It never came!!
    You got your bike!

I have done some Small Claims. Do it if you can be bothered, just for the practice!
    Don’t do it if youre going to let it wind you up.
    If you win, the prize will be a CCJ against him!!! BUT assume he may not be be bothered cos he’s got some already.
    What l do sometimes is send them a CCJ dummy to get a reaction!!
    Call if you want any help
    Cheers Paul. 07776143890

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Bought a used bike- Not happy! How to proceed?’ is closed to new replies.