Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bought a TV lately?
  • bearnecessities

I remember there was some discussion around a £250ish 32″ Sony LED jobbie a while back (think Hora bought one; probably sold again now).

Anyone bought at 32″ ish sized TV recently they can recommend?

Googling is such a faff, and this place is way better for reviews 😀

Ta, Rich

Stoner
    Free Member
    thehustler
    Free Member

If you want ‘just a TV’ tesco do a 32″ blaupunkt for £140, its only 780P but tbh i cant tell the difference seeing it working (bought one for my daughters birthday)

bearnecessities

Ooh, cheers Stoner. Hadn’t spotted that thread.

Is this the one you bought? Any review?

Thanks Hustler, but I’m looking for something a little bit fancy-pants.

dallas95
    Free Member

I bought one of those Sony’s at Xmas. It’s brilliant. Excellent picture and has a wi-fi connection so access to Netflix, you tube etc. Can also sync my laptop and play my music files though it. It includes a wall mount bracket as well as the stand so is a great buy.

ton

have a look on here mate.

http://hblstore.co.uk/

Kryton57

dallas95 – Member
    I bought one of those Sony’s at Xmas. It’s brilliant. Excellent picture and has a wi-fi connection so access to Netflix, you tube etc. Can also sync my laptop and play my music files though it. It includes a wall mount bracket as well as the stand so is a great buy.

Does is play Ant & Dec moving pictures on Saturday nights.

OP I’ve a 32″ Loewe widescreen you can have for the price of 4 x Erdinger Alkoholfrei if you collect it. Just google Leowe Aventos 😀

bearnecessities

Thanks Ton, should pop down and see you soon actually as need some aerial distribution kit 😀

Dallas, that’s useful to know thanks as I need to wall mount 2 of them. Don’t think ‘ll be synching anything, but would like to think whatever I buy won’t be obsolete in 12 months!

ton

more than happy to help mate.

Stoner
    Free Member

Rich – yes, thats the one.

Early days review:

1) looks great, proper midnight blacks, nice and bright, good contrast everything you expect from a current tech machine.
    2) operating system is pretty smooth, as you’d expect from a Sony. HMDI ports work well, and fire up with power on.
    3) iplayer app on board works well too, although navigation is a bit clunky but I cant tell if that’s the OS or my 1980’s telephone line
    4) Im having some intermittent issues with network connection, but since I can solve it by rebooting my homeplug adaptor I reckon thats my network problem rather than the sony.

5) biggest gripe is the onboard PVR function. It’s rubbish. Ive stuck a 64GB USB stick in it and it will happily record in good quality and reply is fine. BUT it wont do series record, and it only has one tuner so you cant watch one channel and record another. fortunately I still do all my PVR stuff on my computer and the Sony is quite at easy replaying media served over the network from my PC. It’s not as functional as actually using a Microsoft Media Extender like an Xbox but it works fine.

Ive also tested it with a different media server client (Plex) and it still woks fine. It can take a little while for the server client and Sony to get in bed together on power up though. Again I think that might be down to my network having issues, not the Sony.

All in, Im more than happy with them (I got two) and they will last me and the boys for many years. Pair it with a slick PVR box and it will be ace. Oh and HD channels on BBC looks noticeably better than normal grade.

bearnecessities

Tony, I’ll be down in next few days, probably Sat.

Mark, thanks for taking the time to write that. I need to buy three (well, not really ‘need’ but my OCD would like to have 3 of the same model) so that’ll do for me.

Cheers all 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

not really ‘need’ but my OCD would like to have 3 of the same model

we are too similar. 🙂

Oh, and only one USB, which is a bit of a pain if you need a powered USB as well as a data one.

bearnecessities

One usb is fine for me. Just need to see if I can get additional discount for buying more than one. Not holding out much hope!

Stoner
    Free Member

I didnt get a sniff of a discount out of richer sounds for buying two 🙁

bland

I bought one of them sony 32″ kdl jobbies in November from electrotech or something similar in Oldham, got it for £215, bargain!

bland

Here you go

£212

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh, that thread was me!

I got one of these in the end, a 32″ Samsung.

First impressions very good – lovely crisp picture (especially with a HD source, plenty of depth and seems nicely smooth.

However.

I’ve started to notice on fast moving stuff a very definite blur fringing effect – on fast camera moves or FPS games on the Xbox, for example. I’ve twiddled the settings but I can’t get rid of this. Not sure if this is just a “feature” of the screen (or LEDs in general) or a problem with my panel, so I may have to see if the Richer Sounds warranty is any good…

Stoner
    Free Member

bland, the 400 series is a lot older tech, hence the £150 price difference.

bland

What do you want for £200!

Its cheap, nice picture, dead light and thin, has a USB input and plays telly!

You wouldn’t make out any better definition in our house in any case as its covered in kids fingerprints, that and its worlds apart from the 24″ CRT it replaced!

Stoner
    Free Member

I kind of agree, it’s just Id just misinterpreted you when you said “I bought one of them sony 32″ kdl jobbies” and i thought you meant one of the Sony 600 series that I referred to earlier. And that there is a definite difference in quality between the two. The 400 for £200 is fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Personally a fan of Sony and Samsung. For Internet streaming (eg BBC iPlayer and movies) I use a combination of iPhone and Apple TV (£100 box). I personally wouldn’t pay extra for a super smart tv but focus on getting best screen and size for my money, the software and streaming options change so rapidly but the screen you live with for many years (hopefully).

hora
    Free Member

I bought this with a £100 discount.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv—all/toshiba/40l1333db/tosh-40l1333db

It really really really needs a soundbar though. At first I thought the bloody thing was faulty but for £200 I can’t fault it really.

flyingmonkeycorps

Update.

After going through 2 Samsung F5000s, both of which exhibit the really annoying blue ghosting, I now have a Panasonic E6, and it’s bloody lovely.

REALLY needs a soundbar though, as per Hora above – and annoyingly, the only analogue out it the headphone jack, which (slightly bizarrely) doesn’t automatically mute the speakers when connected, and has its own volume control buried in the menus.

Slight pain, but I plan on getting proper audio when we’re in our new place, so not the end of the world by any means.

Richer Sounds have been brilliant too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bought a TV lately?’ is closed to new replies.