Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bought a new bike lock… home storage only to heavy!!!!
  • downs523
    Free Member

just got myself a new bike lock to store my new bike (when it arrives) at home in my out cupboard, dont have a garage so that will do, the locks on the doors are a bit naff so got myself a decent heavy duty chain lock

nice and thick and heavy!! what do others here used to secure their bikes at home, do you keep it in the house, garage etc…

downs523
    Free Member

the coin in the photo is a £2 coin for size comparison 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

now I know what size bolt croppers and tools to bring with me to steal your bike. thanks!

downs523
    Free Member

greeble.. your welcome

greeble
    Free Member

just watched this video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vp0GpByifM[/video]

I_Ache
    Free Member

greeble wouldnt you just take the biggest bolt croppers anyway?

I have something similar in my shed but dont have an anchor yet.

downs523
    Free Member

nice video, mines different though, anyways all locks can be picked, its more of a deterrant

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Watch from 4.37. Quite alarming considering the the claims they make.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf35C7wu6Q[/video]

downs523
    Free Member

The chain diameter on mine is 16mm don’t think bolt cutters go that big!

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

You cannot pick a lock without the big gold ring right?

monkeyp

Just make sure the chain lies off the floor as high as possible. Makes using bolt croppers almost impossible. That’s what I have done – bikes hanging on the wall, chains at waist height.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

That guy in the second video only manges to crop the chains through using the worlds biggest bolt cutters and the floor as leverage. Not easy to conceal those bolt cutters, woul like to see him try with a bog standard 2 foot long set with a chain off the floor.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

sorry to break it to you but most pro theives use plumbers freeze and a largeish hammer to break your lock thus bypassing your big bad chain you need a bigger lock(hint hint)

Northwind

missingfrontallobe – Member

That guy in the second video only manges to crop the chains through using the worlds biggest bolt cutters and the floor as leverage. Not easy to conceal those bolt cutters, woul like to see him try with a bog standard 2 foot long set with a chain off the floor.

He uses the same boltcutters thieves would use to cut a big chain (assuming they don’t have hydraulics). And as you can see the approach of putting the top of the handle on the ground works as long as the chain is within a few feet of the ground- unless you chain your bike off the floor, in other words.

Attacking any decent lock with small cutters is pointless, that’s why thieves don’t do it. Most bikes are stolen with pocketable tools, because most bikes are locked with terrible locks. But all bikes that are stolen which were locked up with real locks, are stolen using real tools.

(a quality lock won’t break with pipe spray and a hammer, but again, does work on many cheap locks)

Chainline
    Free Member

Pragmasis 19mm chain and squire custom lock to fit with Pragmasis anchor. One of only two chains that couldn’t be bolt cropped by the guy in the video with 42″ lewins.

The lock is so tight a fit you can’t get leverage in it.

The key to a really good lock is the hardening. Most locks are too hard, as has been said freeze can then work easily and smashing, if hardened correctly they just king of dent with that type of abuse.

Diamond disc cutters still work but take 15 to 20mins.

I had big motor bike lock before with big motorbike padlock. They cropped it easily, too hard, not thick enough.

Good chains cost a lot of money ~ £250 but are the best deterrent, but that’s all they are, unfortunately. Just do the best you can and be well insured plus don’t get too attached and keep records of all parts/bikes in detail with pictures. Makes life much easier later if you have to claim.

Olly
    Free Member

Im interested in this thread.

Just this evening made my new man cave “secure”.

its solid as solid, and i bought a second hand front door for it, so its locked shut by a mortice lock.
    The mortice lock goes into a 4mm steel plate which wraps around the entire door frame, so thats not going anywhere in a hurry.

however, having had a bike nicked last week. a bit paranoid.

up until moving here, they have always been kept in various upstairs bedrooms :s

DT78
    Free Member

Motorcycle disk alarms are good to. Whilst they are trying to crop the chain they will set them off.

landcruiser
    Free Member

“Out Cupboard” !…………. Just get a bigger bed ! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bought a new bike lock… home storage only to heavy!!!!’ is closed to new replies.