Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bottom brackets – king worth a punt?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I’ve resigned myself over the last few years to using shimano on my cross bike and mtb bike then binning them after about a winter it seems. However it looks like they’ve taken a hike in price recently (I’m sure a 105 used to be about a tenner cheaper) and wondering if worth stumping up for a king?

If so is aspire velotech still the best (read cheapest) place?

phinw
    Free Member

Hope Stainless worth considering for less money. Seem to go for ages.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine’s been in my singlespeed bike for 2 very muddy years now, and was 2nd hand (I guess about 3 years old based on the frame it came in, so 5 total). I’d buy another one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope 4 years + on the SS

fontmoss
    Free Member

I saw this thread but not much feedback about king longevity. Also be good to know if getting from US works out ok with taxes etc.

Also looks like tiagra are £12 from crc which seems much better than planet x and wiggle at £22+ for 105

bland

have a look at XTR from Rose

Northwind

Don’t think XTR performs any better than XT, personally (ie, adequately but not amazingly)

Gusset EXT24 is a good lowish price alternative- comes in pretty colours, life is a bit better than Shimano but also, they’re far more servicable- you can easily clean between the seals frinstance and the bearings are very easy to access replace.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Don’t think XTR performs any better than XT, personally (ie, adequately but not amazingly)

Yeah that’s my experience too, after a road bb initially btw

xcstu
    Free Member

Had hope, xtr, xt and all be pretty crap! Currently have a king in my full sus and simply bomb proof so far and buttery smooth.. I would highly rate one!

LoCo
    Free Member

Remember to factor in buying the grease tool too, the bb’s are very good

andrewh
    Free Member

Got two kings and both faultless.
    Used for very muddy 24hrs and also that horrible race at keilder which wrecked everything else absolutley fine.
    got the greasing tool but not actually figured out to use it yet 😳 but two years down the line there is no sign of needing to.

highlandman
    Free Member

Economics get better if you can find a buddy to share the cost of the grease tool with. Experience so far has been perfect, greased annually so far and our two are grand after three plus years. It’s actually quite easy to use, needs primed with decent grease before you start, remove cranks from both sides, then the plastic cup from each side, insert tool. Pump grease, wipe excess, re-assemble. Enjoy cup of tea with smug look on face.
    For Andrewh, I’d say do it soon, as this BB is made to be re-greased. You’ll probably get some pretty mucky stuff forced out of it.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Friend has a king bb and loves it, never serviced it so could poss split costs with him. Economics will prob force a tiagra as a stopgap unless find something second hand but will invest for next winter.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Had a King for over 2 years, still runs as smooth as the day I got it and never touched it. Been through all sorts of crap, mud, grit, snow, sand you name it. Best value for money part Ive spent on the bike tbh.

andrewh
    Free Member
    drbob65
    Free Member

King stuff is fit and forget, had a head set for 10 plus now, still perfect

Anthony
    Free Member

Guess I’ll be the first to put hands up to say my King lasted 3 months and fell to bits.

XTR cranks and a faced frame, Distributors did didlysquat for warranty. King in USA repaired it foc when I sent it back to them off my own back.

Hope Stainless gets my money now.

sam_underhill

another big fat +1 for the king BB here. I’ve regreased mine about once a year (so that’s err… 3 times). The instructions suggest regreasing with the seal in place but I find it pops out if you are purging lots of old dirty grease out. So I just pop it off first. It is significantly out lasted all other (uasually XT) BBs I or the Mrs have had. I can’t believe how little time the shimano BBs last. As soon as they launch the press fit I’ll putting one on the Mrs’ Trek.

Edit: it seems the new CK instructions suggest rotating the tool in the bearing to reduce the chances of the seal popping. I’ll try that next time.

lazybike
    Free Member

Get a load of these..

sam_underhill

cheap for a reason.

lazybike
    Free Member

cheap for a reason

…I’ll let you know, just fitted one to my sons bike.. 🙂

Northwind

Think the Tiagra are the same as Deore aren’t they? Which means, well, cheap for a reason 🙂 Last about half as well as XT. But then, they cost about half as much to be fair.

Don’t use them for really hard use applications- I pounded a brand new one to death in 6 hours at fort william. Though that race also breaks frames, wheels, forks, and perfectly good quality human beings so maybe that’s unfair.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Use tiagra and deore currently, they don’t last long in crappy weather

lazybike
    Free Member

The deore on his mtb has done over a year…daily use to school etc, a couple of WWS rounds at Thetford and some MSG…not great, but ok.

giantjason
    Free Member

+1 for the king BB. I have had one in my MTB for 2 years and grease it every 6 months and hasn’t given any trouble. I also have one in my single speed commuter and follow the same maintenance schedule and is still running very smooth.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bottom brackets – king worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.