Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bottom Brackets Hope v XT
  • rOcKeTdOg

is the Hope stainless worth the extra cost over the Shimano?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes.

JamieMc
    Free Member

XTR ones are good. No experience of XT though

z1ppy

Not to me.

kaesae
    Free Member

I have some old shimano cups, do you want me to see if I can convert them to run standard INA bearings plus a set of nylon bushes ❓

Then you can simply recondition your existing shimano BB’s

Aidan
    Free Member

I’d say Hope are worth it. They last maybe 4 or 5 times longer than Shimano for me.

DaveBro
    Free Member

Hope bb has outlasted XTR and XT by a significant margin (found little difference between XTR and XT in terms of ‘life’), my ‘experimenting is over’ – i will go for Hope from now on.

kaesae
    Free Member

I run hope BB cups and the same kind of bearings but it costs me very little to replace them.

The set in my raceface cubs have lasted a good 12 months so far and are still in very good condition.

Shop around you’ll find something that will last.

takisawa2

The King one had a good report after a years use, in the STW mag.

tadpole
    Free Member

my shimano one lasted a year, with a lot of use, my hope one lasted 2 months, though to be fair to hope, they did replace the bearing and cup for free, so i’ll see how long it lasts this time.

richc
    Free Member

Just buy an Acros one, 2 year warranty and turns the BB into a fit and forget item.

Andituk
    Free Member

Yes. They come in a full range of colours.

What more do you want?

Kryton57

BETD will give them a nice once over:

Here:

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got the tipoff from here – XTR for £16.95 plus carraige. Still a bargain after the £5.95 and you get a nice free bowl with your first order! Should have got one for spares.

Low stock right now, but they’ll be back:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/product/detail/aid:274227

cp

IMO, yes. I went through so many XT’s & deores and since then, hope has been fit and forget. No stiff bearings after a muddy ride, no ditching after 3-6 months. just keeps working!

The Hope also appears to me to be more free running – spin the cranks with no chain on the rings, and they just keep going and going!

oh, and they look very nice too 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I thought SLX, XT and STR were identical bar the colour, with just the cheaper deore being mechanically different?

Buy a cheap BB and replace the bearings when they die with either same size and re-use the top caps, or the larger Enduro style ones that run direct onto the axle.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Brackets Hope v XT’ is closed to new replies.