Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bottom brackets
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Continuing my theme of “what is going on with bikes these days?” I seem to be having trouble fitting the cranks to this 2013 Superfly.

Juangia very kindly left the press fit bb in, and whilst it accommodates the 2007 XTR cranks there seems to be a spacer of some kind missing. The non drive side bearing is recessed into the frame slightly and the crank does not meet the outside of the BB.

Do I need a spacer or new cranks?

molgrips
    Free Member

How do I even know what BB I have?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thnk it’s PF92 but not sure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Spacers don’t seem to be a widely available thing unless I am rubbish at google?

Northwind

If it’s Shimano it’ll normally have the BB name written on it somewhere…

Superfly is BB95 according to the googles but Trek are awful for random standards so take that with a pinch of salt. But BB95 itself is supposed to be 100% compatible with Shimano arms, with no spacers. And your XTR M970 cranks apart from their bollocksy fitting and tensioning stuff, are just like any other Shimano cranks. So if it’s all there it ought to be pretty simple.

https://assets.bikecatalogue.uk/images/trek/2015/45501.jpg

vmgscot

What sort of dimensions do you need? I have used aluminium and copper sump washers with success on some BB’s if they fit your axle (24mm and 30mm) – they are usually around 2mm thick.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so what’s happened is that the bike came with a GXP crank, which has a Shimano standard BB on the drive side and one with a smaller internal diameter on the non-drive side. So he’s replaced the funny size with a standard Shimano one on the non-drive side. Apparently this requires spacers which he’s going to send me in the post. If these aren’t enough I’ll try the sump washer idea, which is a good one.

Juanghia’s a top bloke!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.