Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bottom brackets
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ok so ive had my mountain bike for a year and few months (specialized) and noticed a slight movement on the bottom bracket (this is only slight movement, so how much life will i have left in it ? i do ride up to 3 times a week….. think ive done ok really after that long… and how much do bike shops chsrge for replacing the BB.

tinribz
    Free Member

Max £50? inc parts – guess.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Assuming you have a HT2 BB You could get yourself one of these and do it yourself, it is really very easy.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep it is a hardtail ,but if i got one off chain reaction do you think the bike shop would fit it for me or not ? gulp.
    being a slight ‘mouse’ about fitting a BB -its not my strong point (i am a woman after all … wouldnt want to get it wrong ! lol.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? Im sure some strapping fellow on here would show you how to do it for a couple of biccies and a mug of tea.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Worth checking your Local bike shop. Sometimes you pay a little more than online, but they may fit it for you for free/cheaper than if you bought the part online and asked them to fit it.

Oggles
    Free Member

If you buy one from CRC they will charge you to fit it, but if you buy it from the LBS they might do it for free (mine does)!

GJP
    Free Member

I would not look to buy off CRC and then get your LBS to fit it – not fair on the LBS.

If HTII then buy the tool and BB and do it yourself.

If it is ISIS or square taper then you may want to just pay the LBS to do it all rather than buying all the tools BB tool, wrench and crank puller. It isn’t hard with the tools but if the BB is a little seized then it can sometimes take ingenious ideas to get enough force to shift the BB.

Its always good to have a good relationship with your LBS

elaineanne
    Free Member

i find that most bike shops mess you about all the time does anyone else find that (things just never go straight forward there always seems to be problembo,s…….. … i,ll have to ask them nicely…. actually will it be a specialized BB if its a specialized bike (not top of the range mind you.. (in between)..

elaineanne
    Free Member

had a look on the spec of bike and this it what it says : Shimano BB ES25 Octalink spline with cartridge bearings.68x118mm for a 50mm chainline.

MrOvershoot

Where abouts are you? Im sure some strapping fellow on here would show you how to do it for a couple of biccies and a mug of tea.

According to her profile she’s in Todmorden so she’s going to be inundated by helpful chaps who could fix it for her, isn’t she?

elaineanne
    Free Member

if i pop into the single track office which is sooo local im sure one of the boys wud help me …

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, seeing as how they were talking about ways of making women feel more welcome on here, I’d say they’re pretty much obliged to help you out!

So, come on, STW peeps! Help a lady out!

And if they don’t well, proves they’re not gentlemen, really.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.