• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by benz.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bottom bracket thread stripped
  • benz
    Free Member

Old BB seemed to go in nicely then did not want to come out nicely.

Result some damage to thread on chainset side.

I’m going to try me LBS initally to see if they can chase the thread through, but if this is not successful, then can anyone recommend an alternative?

BETD are my first consideration.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any alternative is likely to be expensive if chasing the threads wont work.

Engineering solutions I can think of are – build it up with weld, machine to right size and recut thread or cut to a larger thread if there is enough material make an inset to thread in that can have a bb thread cut into it.

I have had both done on motorcycle parts in the past – smaller threads tho

giantjason
    Free Member

your LBS should be able to re-thread it at a cost of around £10

i went through this similar process when i changed over a BB recently.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Something like this maybe?
    Google for threadless bottom brackets for more or there is a company who can bond in a new threaded sleeve but cannot remember who they are, and have no experience of either solution. Someone on here probably does though.

njee20
    Free Member

They can only rethread it if there’s material left to rethread if you’ve really stripped it you may be screwed!

DaRC_L

I’m in a similar position on my s/s – I’ll be off to the LBS to see what they can do. Otherwise, as it’s a steel frame, I’ll be off to the framewelder – so it depends upon what your frame is made of.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What about using a cup with a longer thread – RaceFace DH ones are substantively longer and will go into the thread thats not ****

takisawa2

I once bought a cheapo steel mtb frame that turned out to have an italian bottom bracket thread.
    The bike shop reamed out the old thread, fitted a sleeve & then re-tapped the thread. I didnt pay as the shop sorted it out, but I seem to remember it was about £25.
    Any decent frame builder should be able to do this for you.

coatesy
    Free Member

if it’s properly knackered then argos racing cycles can ream and sleeve the shell.

julianwilson
    Free Member

charliethebikemonger used to sell a ‘threadless’ square taper bb which screws into itself not the shell. Probably only a goer if you already have the right cranks, might then work out cheaper than a repair.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I keep reading about stripped/seized threads, particularly BBs – are all these people hamfisted numpties? I have minimal mechanical aptitude but I never had a problem with BBs…

igm

If it’s a steel frame, as one of the post above is, you’d do well to strip the thread with an alloy bottom bracket – so you’re probably OK with a chase. If the frame is Al or the bottom bracket is steel then there may be more problems.

swisstony
    Free Member

Don’t worry, this happened to me with my Cove Stiffee (for the record i didn’t cross thread it they ‘pulled’ out, i guess due to prolonged hard riding) Anyway sent it off to BETD who drilled out the damaged side, fitted a sleave then re cut the threads, £45 incl return postage.

Oh and BTW don’t be tempted to buy a threadless BB, they’re bobbins.

rob1984p
    Free Member

If you dont care about the frame araldite the bracket in, a member of our sales team and our former buyer have both been rolling on araldite for a couple years. Otherwise we sell the pristine brackets as someone has already suggested. A friend at uni had an Argos sleeve in his MsIsle, it was a top fix and cost £60 or £80 I think.

benz
    Free Member

swisstony – exactly the route I’m going to go down so appreciate the positive feedback. Spoke with them yesterday and they advise not an issue to fix at all.

Surprisingly, none of my LBS’s had the tools to chase the threads in the bb through…which I found a bit strange. It’s an alloy frame

Threads picked up when taking our the chainset side – and I applied much force to get the bb out….my fault!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket thread stripped’ is closed to new replies.