Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bottom Bracket replacement (beginner content)
  • bdb
    Free Member

BB on my old kona is starting to sound like a skeleton having a w@nk in a biscuit tin. 6 years old so need a new one.

Its a Truvativ Le Square Taper spindle Bottom Bracket. (68-110mm shell)

Before i set about it with some tools, brute force, knuckle skin loss and a torrent of foul language…

Am i able to replace this BB with a new slx/xt external type? Clicky

i am also relacing the crankset with slx if that helps.

Im going to try replace this myself so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
    j

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i like how ur trying to replace it your self 🙂 ur like me, ive decided to do alot more things my self cause most shops have u waiting like 2 weeks, waste of time, external BB should just screw straight in if u have the spanner and its a doddle

DaveGr
    Free Member

If you're using SLX then you'll have to use an external BB as in your link. But if you're buying SLX new then it should include the BB – CRC. And IMO you'll need the frame faced to fit an external BB which is a LBS job (others might/will disagree with the facing bit)

highclimber
    Free Member

The External BB tool costs about £13. much cheaper to do things yourself. Not that hard when you have Youtube and singletrackworld for Advice

Should be straight forward like chris_mbuk said, just make sure you've got the correct tools to fit the BB,you know the BB cups are right and left threaded don't you? And I always stuff a bit of copper grease on the threads just to make sure you can get it off again.
    Have a look at this if unsure.

Sonor
    Free Member

Am i able to replace this BB with a new slx/xt external type?

I don't see why not. you'll need one of these to get the old BB out.

And one of these to fit the new external bb.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

aye northenbloke, i mean i took my BB off for the first time the other day, thats after watching a vid on youtube, that hope tech guy lol, i saw him do it, i did it and its a doddle, i just had problems getting 1 side back on but it went on after a few goes 😀 not hard at all couple of screws..

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

If you buy the bits from your LBS will they fit it for free ?(mine does) will be cheaper.

If anything goes wrong to can take it back and say "OI"

tinsy
    Free Member

Souds like you got your cranks and BB sorted, are you going to put the old chain and cassette back on your new crankset? If they have both done a lot it might be a good idea to get new ones too.

bassspine
    Free Member

don't forget the crank extractor to get the old square taper cranks off. so, 50-60quid in tools plus the new bb and roberts your proverbial. go for it. bike fettling isn't rocket science

good point Tinsy

bdb
    Free Member

Great stuff, cheers folks!

yeah, new chain & cassette are going on too.

soobalias
    Free Member

if the old BB has been in there for 6 years, it will likely be a bugger to shift.

pay careful attention to which way each side undoes, you may need to soak the BB with WD40 overnight first and then attach a scaffold bar to the tool to get it to turn

as you are going to HTII cranks/BB see if you can borrow a crank extractor and BB tool to remove the old stuff, as you will have no further use for these tools.

theotherjonv

It's an easy enough task, as long as you have the tools. That might be the issue though, assuming that once you go to HTII you stay with it then splashing out on the tools for that is an invesment. However, tools for the removal of the defunct sq taper and cartridge BB for one use would be quite expensive. Can you borrow them? If really stuck let me know and you can borrow mine; I'll happily post them to you in return for the '**** in a biscuit tin comment' if you aren't by any chance local.

After that the big challenge will be getting the old BB out. make sure you are turning the right way (drive side unscrews clockwise, non-drive side anti-cw) and as you say be prepared for plusgas, swearing and long levers if it's been in there for 6 years. Once that's done the rest is a doddle and perfectly explained on Park Tools.

theotherjonv

damn, beaten by 35s

tinsy
    Free Member

Beaten to it maybe, but not in the good will stakes, nice offer theotherjonv, you will have a nice day. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket replacement (beginner content)’ is closed to new replies.