Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bottom Bracket removal – reverse thread?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Is there a reverse thread on the drive side bottom bracket or is mine just damn tight?

Using a proper bottom bracket tool GT85 and a gentle tap of the hammer hasn’t moved it.

Next steps?

acidchunks

right side screws in anticlockwise 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ever wish you had googled BEFORE starting.

d’oh

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, that didn’t go to plan.

Fitted the bottom bracket tool into the notches of the BB and pushed clockwise to remove it.

Nothing.

Light tap with the hammer.

Nothing.

GT85 and tap with hammer.

Nothing.

Push harder.

BB tool slips off and I punch the concrete floor and swear.

Refit BB tool and smack it with the hammer.

Some movement.

Hit it again and more movement. Smile before realising that the movement was all of the aluminium notches failing and the BB tool simply sliding over the top.

How do I remove the drive side BB without and of the notches for a BB tool to fit?

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

this is where someone comes along to tell you to clamp the tool in place…minutes too late. using a quick release skewer.

rp16v
    Free Member

am i right in thinking its a square taper bb?
    for future ref put the bb tool in and re fit a bolt into the axle this will hold the tool in place while u concentrate on turning it without it falling out if there are some splines left u may well still be able to do this

06awjudd
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a trip to your lbs.
    You’re 100% sure you were turning clockwise on the drive side to undo, as the non drive side is the other way round?
    If you did it correctly, it sounds as though it’s seized up/rusted inside the frame, in which case, I have no idea how you’d get it out.
    You could try removing the non drive side BB cup so you can have a look and see what is causing all the problem.

AD

I’ve got a seized and stripped BB out by soaking with plus gas and a big pair of stilsons clamped to remains BUT you need to be very careful to avoid damage to frame.

mugsys_m8

I’ve resorted many a time to BB tool in the vice and then turning (note 1) the whole bike whilst the bb tool is inserted (note 2).

note 1: you absolutley must turn it the correct way
    note 2: assuming you have splines on the bb.

…….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yes I was turning it the right way when I stripped the splines.

Yes someone did tell me about clamping the tool in place with a qr squewer just too late – it was you

Yes I think I will have to resort to using a bench vice to squeeze the BBB while I rotate the bike.

Grrr

Northwind

Square taper has that excellent combination of a more delicate hard to use interface for removing, and a long lifespan so they have time to really make themselves at home. HT2 resolved that in 2 quite different ways 😉

mrelectric

I’ve been reminded recently again (doh) how useful a bit of local heat is to shifting really stiff threads.

This kind of thing works well before getting out the plumbing tools:
    http://dx.com/p/seat-style-windproof-butane-jet-torch-lighter-black-silver-144537

garage-dweller

Northwind that’s absolutely spot on! Very helpful of the bike industry. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Can you hammer the axle out? I think you can on some BBs once the non drive side is off. You can then put a big nut and bolt through which will clamp on tightly as the BB (hopefully) loosens.

skiboy
    Free Member

Be careful clamping it in a vice and turning the frame, that’s a lot of leverage !

How’s the ankle ?

jambon
    Free Member

I don’t know if it helps but I’ve managed to remember that:

Pedals are right and BBs are wrong.

In other words Right hand Pedals have a Right hand thread. The opposite for BBs.

It helps my poor dysfunctional brain anyway…

Mugboo

At least you didn’t kick it in frustration..

teasel
    Free Member

How good are you with an angle grinder…?

It’s stuffed now anyway so cut a couple of slots and use a slim but long bar of metal to lever it out after soaking said bastard bottom bracket (assume that’s what BBB stands for) in Plus Gas for a bit.

A Dremel will take longer but will significantly reduce your balls shrivelling up…

abductee
    Free Member

Full kettle of boiling water on the frame (after you have the tool clamped in place and know which way to turn it and have removed NDS).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket removal – reverse thread?’ is closed to new replies.