Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bottom Bracket Fitting Problem
  • avdave2

I’m trying to swap my Truvativ Stylo GXP from Boardman frame to my new C456 and am having a problem getting it working properly. If I tighten the non drive side enough to eliminate play then the cranks don’t spin freely. It would seem to me that I’ll need to get the frame faced but I’ll be interested to here other views.

Thanks

HermanShake
    Free Member

If your cups are in properly it could be knackered bearings. The BB shells are the same width right? How old are the bearings and how have you treated them. My GXP BB has lasted well but many others complain that they aren’t too durable.

avdave2

BB shells are the same width and are a year old and have been on my summer bike which never really gets wet. I’ve a rigid bike with good old square taper which ploughs through the mud and filth all winter. The cups went in without any issues.

Northwind

Truvativ BBs are, IME, incredibly awful so I wouldn’t rule out that it’s knackered.

avdave2

Truvativ BBs are, IME, incredibly awful so I wouldn’t rule out that it’s knackered.

I don’t think you are alone in that opinion! It has only done around 850 miles of dry weather riding though and seemed fine on the previous frame. I suppose the true test would be to fit it to the Boardman again and see if I can get it working on that.

avdave2

The BB shells are the same width right?

A proper check 😳 reveals that the Boardman has a 68mm shell not a 73mm as I believed. A check of the Boardman frame also shows lumps of paint all over the edge of the bb shell so the C456 which is clean should be better. I’ll try refitting now without the spacers which may have been distorted by fitting on the Boardman,s very rough bb shell.

avdave2

Just refitted without spacers and all is good. Thanks to herman for the prompt to actually check and not assume.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Glad it’s sorted 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket Fitting Problem’ is closed to new replies.