Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bottom bracket confusion
  • wubss
    Free Member

So I’ve decided to try and build a bike for the first time. Bottom bracket standards/widths etc are confusing the bejesus out of me.

I’m going to buy a SC Chameleon frame. On the SC website the only info about the bottom bracket shell is “Bottom Bracket: Standard”. I know it takes a threaded BB but I don’t know what width.

I am taking my 2016 Trek Stache 9 to bits, and going to re-use what I can. It has a 92mm wide BB shell. This is called “BB92”, right? It has Sram X1 cranks.

I’m confused about:

1) What BB do I need to buy to fit the new frame (SC Chameleon)?
    2) Will I be able to re-use the cranks from my Stache? Does that affect what BB I buy?

simondbarnes

You need a SRAM GXP external cup bb (or compatible) to use your current crankset.

Fat-boy-fat

Knowing Santa Cruz, it’ll be a “standard” 73 mm wide threaded bottom bracket shell. There are all sorts of converters out there to let you use cranks that are designed for non-threaded bottom brackets (like your cranks seem to be). Just make sure you get the right adapter.

submarined
    Free Member

Hope threaded BB plus the adapters should fit I think. Give Hope a call for 100% truth!

riklegge

Do your X1 cranks have a 30mm axle or 24mm axle?

vincienup
    Free Member

^

Definitely check the crank spindle before buying a B.B. for it.

But yep, SC have a 73mm English thread B.B. shell.

simondbarnes

Do your X1 cranks have a 30mm axle or 24mm axle?

I think the op would have struggled to get a 30mm axle through a PF92 bb so I assumed it was a GXP crankset.

wubss
    Free Member

Thanks all! The existing BB says “GXP” on it, so that settles it. Sram threaded 68/73mm GXP BB on order from CRC!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket confusion’ is closed to new replies.