Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bottom Bracket – ceramic bearings, worth the extra cash?
  • dazh

The sram bb86 on the roadie is knackered and it’s time for a new one. So is it worth spending an extra £90 on the ceramic bearing version? Will it last longer? Especially in wet weather?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

how long did your bb86 last?

i had a recent debate with myself over this very issue… turns out i get circa 3 years life from the shimano ones that cost £15… i’m happy to stick to doing that

dazh

About a year, probably about 4000ish miles in all weathers. About what I expected.

Northwind

I wouldn’t buy an expensive SRAM. Are they really nice cranks? If not, sack them.

dazh

SRAM force cranks. Came with the groupset. No reason to get rid of them for the sake of a £25 bottom bracket. Just wondering if the ceramic BB will last longer. Think I’ll probably just buy 2 of the cheap ones.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

No.

I ran an Enduro ceramic GXP BB86 on my Giant TCR. It was nice kit, and spun freely but didn’t last any longer than a cheapy steel one. In my experience, life is based on the quality of the sealing, not what the balls are made from. CK has pretty much proved this.

dazh

Thanks Reggie, I figured as much.

njee20
    Free Member

£90 extra? No chance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket – ceramic bearings, worth the extra cash?’ is closed to new replies.