Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bottom bracket bearing mode of failure
  • Harry_the_Spider

My BB is on its way out and is creaking and banging like one of those more mature ladies that Wayne Rooney used to enjoy spend time and money with. The problem is that I can’t get it sorted before my next ride. I can put up with the noise and the nasty feedback through the pedals, but I don’t want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere if it seizes up.

So, what is the worse that can happen?

Fixing it myself, before anyone says it, is not an option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

last one that properly went on me wore a bit of the axle it collapsed in there and I had to limp it home with very light pedalling and no standing up. When it was changed all the balls fell out.

jekkyl

i had a gxp bb go kaput on me, the peddles seized up and wouldn’t turn, so I just lowered the saddle and straddled it, pushing along on the ground like on a victorian solid wheeled bike. They give you a fair bit of warning before they give up entirely ime, the noises really ramp up on every turn and there was fair bit of play in the cranks so you could tell it was on it’s way out.

Why not fix yourself? once you’ve done it once you wonder why you didn’t before, it’s dead easy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

Unlikely to fail totally I’d have thought, its not like its going to get full of mud and water at the moment. Spray it with wd40/gt85 and away you go 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Why not fix yourself?

Because I’d rather spend what little free time I get riding one of my other bikes than bugger about with this one and the LBS can do a much better job.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You dont actually say what type of BB you have fitted to your bike.
    Dont leave it too long as there is a chance you can damage the axle with seized bearings, if its a HT2 BB.
    Failing that remove the old one and fit a new one.
    Out of interest if you dont want to fix it yourself why are you bothering to ask the question?

binners

I’ve mad a Howitzer bottom bracket fail in pretty catastrophic manner. The bearing races completely disintegrated and dropped out of the frame!

Trying to turn the cranks resulted in a sound like a large group of German skeletons having a wild, debauched and vocal orgy inside a biscuit tin

Harry_the_Spider

I asked the question because i can’t get it fixed before the next ride and spare bike isn’t suitable. That is why I asked. Why do you ask?

terrahawk
    Free Member

why do you ask why he has asked?

jekkyl

changing the bb takes about the same time as changing a tyre with a tube. It’s dead simple, where do you live? I’ll give ya a hand if you like and you’re close.

igm

On mine the bearing seized and the plastic seal which extended along the crank worn through. Crank started rattling in the bottom bracket. FSA one, but I had pushed it hard. One Shimano Deore purchase and five minutes spannering and everything is fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Why do you ask why do you ask why he has asked? 🙂

IME they last in the ‘creaky/clicky’ stage for a bloody long time before any serious consequences, irrespective of BB type.

You can change one in the time it’ll take to take it to the LBS though it must be said.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket bearing mode of failure’ is closed to new replies.