Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bottom bracket Advice/ recommendations
  • teenrat

After a weekend of riding my bottom bracket is shot, so i need a replacement. Looking at prices for the hope ones vs the price for a deore one for example, how does price vs longevity stack up. Do the more expensive ones tend to last longer to justify the price?

What Hollowtech BB’s are recommended?

creamegg
    Free Member

My Hope ceramic is going strong after 4 years of constant abuse, at least 3 times a week in all kinds of weather. When they eventually die ill be getting some more.

Expensive but hassle free

cookeaa

My hope one is almost 4 years old now I think, I had to replace some creaking bearings after about 2.5 years, its been fine since, Stock shimano on SS and DH bike have been pretty good too though,
    only had two go a bit creaky after ~18months, one I replaced with the hope the other was on my winter SS so I just replaced the bearings with cheap ones from ebay, and it’s been going strong for another 2 years and counting since…

On balance, as nice as the hope BB is, I don’t think I’d buy another now given the price difference and the fact that you can just press new bearings into a cheap Shimano for a bit less than a new BB costs…

Northwind

Deore are really pretty poor- not worth it on price grounds, you end up spending about the same as you would with SLX/XT and changing them far more often. (I killed one in a day, albeit a pretty ridiculous day) XT (and Saint on teh big bike) are the only ones I’ll use now, they’re a good option.

I really like Gusset’s EXT24. It’s inexpensive, comes in different colours, has quality bearings and decent seals- outlasts any Shimano I’ve used and only costs about a tenner more. If you can be bothered to pop the outer shields off every so often and clean them out, they last about as long as Hope do. And when the bearings do wear out, it’s a standard bearing and can be changed very easily. Gets my money.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket Advice/ recommendations’ is closed to new replies.