Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • bottom bracet instrallation help
  • meeeee
    Free Member

the bottom bracket on my good bike is on its way out so i thought i’d swap it for the Hope one i’d installed a while back on the 2nd bike.

both are external screw in type.

I’ve got the hope on installed on the good bike now, but having problems with the shimano one i’m putting back in the other bike.

When i try and torque it up to the correct amount (am going for 40nM, range is 35-50 on shimano instructions), it just seems to be squashing the spacer out of position. Is this normal? The hops one didnt seem to do this. I’ve got it torqued up ok now but the spacer is sort of squished out of place a bit.

Threads look fine on the frame and BB, and if i leave the spacer out is threads in fine and torques up straight away, just with the spacer in it just seems to squash it quite a bit first.

Is this normal?

Thanks

shortcut

Some of the hope BB’s came with plastic spacers which did not do the job very well on some frames.

Get an aluminium spacer.

You do need spacers to ensure you can get the cranks on to the right tension.

wwaswas

If it’s squishing the plastic spacers I’d back it off a bit.

Don’t Hope use Aluminium spacers?

tbh, I’ve always just done them up ‘tightish’ with a one of these and never had problems;

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for aluminium spacers.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes. The old hope spacers do squash. Pop to your lbs and ask for some new shimano ones. They should have loads spare and should be pretty cheap.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Some plastic spacers deform. Any genuine Shimano ones seem much better and dont deform.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘bottom bracet instrallation help’ is closed to new replies.