Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Bottle or Tap?
  • vinnyeh

Water that is.

Who buys bottled water, and why? See no reason for it myself, especially in restaurants. Even if it supports our new friends in the European community, or old friends in far flung corners of the old Empire, or has been lovingly squeezed into bottles between the thighs of mahogany skinned Welsh virgins, what's the point of buying the expensive environmentally unfriendly stuff when 'une carafe d'eau' achieves the same result?

BigJohn

The tabloids will never discuss the scandal of bottled water because they'd have to call it Watergate.

organic355
    Free Member

Have you ever tasted Glasgow tap water? Nuff said.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I buy Dasani as it's the worst of both worlds 8)

enfht
    Free Member

Bottled water, in the UK at least, is pointless and should be heavily taxed.

But then I think fat people should be taxed too..

mudshark
    Free Member

It does wind me up though if out and about I suppose it's OK as he choice is usually to buy something so may as well buy water rather than a soft drink.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

bottled water can be kept for up to four years in plastic bottles in awarehouse yum yum .
    if you want to know who buys bottle water look at the first successful marketer – evian , spell it backwards – naive .you are if you buy it.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you go past one of the larger spring points on the malvern hills in the summer weekends, you can see loads of brummies stuffing their cars full of refilled 5L tescos water bottles and taking tons of water home with them. When I asked one guy about it he said he keeps the water for a month in the re-used water bottle before using it! 😮

Severn Trent water is pretty good these days – it used to be a bit rubbish. London water can vary from ok to grim though.

ransos
    Free Member

Tap water almost always does well in blind taste tests. Just keep a jug in the fridge. The chlorine will evaporate away, and it then tastes just fine.

mudshark
    Free Member

My parents live by the water bottling factory in Church Stretton and get their water for free. Which is nice.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I just filter from the tap.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My mate works for Severn Trent, he drinks bottled water , . . . . so should you!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I just filter from the tap.

My wife does too. I cannot be bothered with the faff.

Bottled water is a great big con. Especially when it costs more per gallon than petrol in service stations.

I saw an advert for low calorie water last week. Fair enough, it was with a 'hint of basil and lime' (or something) but LOW CALORIE WATER FFS? Do they think their target audience is THAT stupid?*

*Clearly they are.

skidartist
    Free Member

If I'm travelling then I've buy bottled water as more expensive, marginally more socially acceptable alternative to drinking diesel. But the idea of buying bottles of water and taking them home to drink just seems pretty dumb. Especially as I have a 500ltr tank of kerosene in the garden, delivered in bulk its a fraction of the price!

For all the concern over food miles the idea of packaging water and sending it across continents to an advanced (and frankly very wet) nation is a bit of a shit one. Bottled water is for festivals, earthquakes and famines.

MadPierre

Bah! When I saw "Bottle or tap" I thought we'd be discussing the merits of bottled ale vs draught!

Water with a hint of alcohol, hops and malted barley… then we're talking! 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Have you ever tasted Glasgow tap water? Nuff said. <

Yes as a matter of fact and it comes from Loch Katrine – absolutely bu88er all wrong with it.

Now London tap water on the other hand…

0091paddy
    Free Member

Annoys me when I'm out with mates and not drinking, bars charge you about £1.50 for some bottled water..

BigDummy
    Free Member

London tap water on the other hand… …comes from a spring in Peckham. 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

London tap water on the other hand… …comes from a spring in Peckham

… and can be used as emergency lighting 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea why someone would pay for bottled water. Never bought any and fizzy water WTF is that all about?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Annoys me when I'm out with mates and not drinking, bars charge you about £1.50 for some bottled water..

There is some new legislation in Scotland saying that tap water should be freely available in all bars. But it was always my understanding that pubs and bars had to, by law, provide free drinking water.

Just like all 'inns' have to have somewhere to tie your horse.

AndyP
    Free Member

The tabloids will never discuss the scandal of bottled water because they'd have to call it Watergate.
    There's a scandal?

psling
    Free Member

I'm lucky because the water from my tap comes directly from the spring on the hillside above the house. Clear spring water, always cool, plus… no water rates 🙂

Bunnyhop

Tap for us.
    Luckily we live in an area where the water comes from the Lake Distict.
    So it's yummy.

mavisto
    Free Member

Tap – if I know where it's come from; and I don't mean the clouds and 10,000 years percolating through the rocks of Derbyshire.

Bottle – if I'm thirsty and it's easier.

For example. I could never bring myself to fill a bottle from the public toilets at a service station, so I buy a bottle.

I have and would again drink straight from a stream (did it once in the Lakes only to find a dead sheep in it about 300 metres higher up the hillside).

Bunnyhop

I remember going walking with an ex-army capt. who told us not to drink stream water for that very reason.

AndyP
    Free Member

I could never bring myself to fill a bottle from the public toilets at a service station
    why not fill it from the taps instead?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For example. I could never bring myself to fill a bottle from the public toilets at a service station, so I buy a bottle.

I have and would again drink straight from a stream (did it once in the Lakes only to find a dead sheep in it about 300 metres higher up the hillside).

You will have (as you have exampled) more chance of catching something from the stream water than a tap in a bog.

MrAgreeable

I though Mastiles was jabbering but it turns out it's true!

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/low-calorie-water.htm

And it's "low-calorie" rather than zero calorie (calory?) because it's had fruit juice added. You couldn't make it up, etc etc…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Have you ever tasted Glasgow tap water? Nuff said.

Dunno if you have different tap water to the Glasgow tap water I have, but mine's pretty much flavourless, super-soft (never get limescale) and better than any bottled water I've tasted!

organic355
    Free Member

Dunno if you have different tap water to the Glasgow tap water I have, but mine's pretty much flavourless, super-soft (never get limescale) and better than any bottled water I've tasted!

perhaps me pipes are fusty then? snigger.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You could pop up to mine with bottles, you can have it for free 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

Best thing for you and the planet maybe is a gravity water filter system.

I also fill up my Camelback flask when going somewhere in my car rather than buy water from say a petrol station or services.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I don't buy bottled water because I see it as a con. It tastes (to me) just the same out the tap as in the bottle. And yes, the cost in service stations is ridiculous so I don't bother even with a coke.

The only time I've bought bottled water was a visit to Egypt…but that's because you can't drink the tap water without falling ill. In the UK the tap water is perfectly drinkable, and infinitely cheaper.

ourmaninthenorth

fizzy water WTF is that all about

It's like Chmapagne for recovering alcoholics.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

always tap. however, had the misfortune of trying the tap water in a place near chippenham. I couldn't actually drink it, it was that foul. and this was after it had been filtered.
    but I'm used to soft, scottish water. an english friend who'd moved up here said he couldn't drink our water because it was too 'sweet'

alpin
    Free Member

fizzy water WTF is that all about

germans love it. they buy gallons of it in bottles despite the fact their tap water is fine. i get funny looks when asking for 'normal' water. even their 'natural wasser' is gassed up (like the hun pun?).

RepacK
    Free Member

If you live in London or similar bottled water makes sense..The stuff that comes out of my tap is foul!

vinnyeh

If you live in London or similar bottled water makes sense..The stuff that comes out of my tap is foul!

Do you live in London then? Mine's fine, and I was brought up on this stuff, and London's fine in comparison.

RepacK
    Free Member

Perhaps its my pipes (fnar fnar) but yeah I do & the water is foul! Lucky you with that NZ water! I heard somewhere that London water by the time it gets to your tap has been recycled several times..A pal of mine who lives in S Wales has some of the best H2O coming out of his tap Ive ever tasted!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Bottle or Tap?’ is closed to new replies.