• This topic has 71 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Bottle of White Lightning anyone?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

bigsi – Member
    The trouble is that its going to affect one of the few growth areas of the British economy, the small brewery.

The UK has seen an explosion in these over the past few years & many of there products range in strength from your standard 4/5% up to Imperial Stouts which can be over 10%!

They come in 330ml bottles and currently are more expensive but only a circa £2 more than say a 3.5% Pale Ale in a 500ml bottle. The Pale Ale could be drunk all night where as its unusual for someone to drink more than 1 Impy Stout in an evening but the cost will be about double.

So, is it really the strength of the product rather than the amount of the product that is the problem?

Real Ales are priced way above the 40p/unit already. Tennents Super 440ml can is 9% and 4 units so that’ll cost £1.60/can. How much is a bottle of Imperial Stout now?

IHN

When I were a student in Sheffield, I played hockey. It was traditional on away matches to each take a 2l bottle of Blue Ocean (Victoria Wine’s own brand drive-cleaning cider) for consumption on the coach back after the match. It was compulsory that the bottle be finished before arriving back to the club pub (the Seven Seas in Broomhill) otherwise terribly sophisticated forfeits involving the removal of clothes, singing of songs and downing of pints ensued.

This was fine when we were playing, say, Durham, which was two hour drive. It was not so great if we played Sheffield Hallam, as their ground was fifteen minutes away…

Ah, happy days, wasn’t it, jumpers for goalpost, isn’t it, eh..?

matt_bl
    Free Member

Real Ales are priced way above the 40p/unit already. Tennents Super 440ml can is 9% and 4 units so that’ll cost £1.60/can. How much is a bottle of Imperial Stout now

330ml @ 10% is less alcohol than 440ml @ 9% so the price could be lower than £1.60

Matt

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jfletch
    Free Member

Tuition fees and now no more 3l bottles of white lightening. Dave has really got it in for the students hasn’t he.

Are you able to put any of this new ‘never-never’ load they have to take out towards chateauneuf du pape and malt whiskey so that they can still get properly @#%$ed.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Good point. E’s have been cheaper than a pint for years now

Not for decent ones.

binners

You can get decent ones? Where? 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

Pints or Es?

konabunny
    Free Member

Reduce that deficit, increase uk employment,reduce crime: legalize and tax ecstasy and cannabis!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We had a game at university.

Edward-Cider-hands

It involved 2 3lt bottles of cheep drain cleaner, lots of ductape and occasional nudity when the volume of alcohol exceeded the ability to remove/put back clothing without using hands during toilet breaks.

The (now bad taste) girlie version was Amy-wine-hands.

On a serious note, this will effect expensive drinks too, just as the minimum wage pushed up wages (if you were already earning a fiver working in a kitchen, and now the washing up kid now got that, you got a rise to reflect that).

bigsi
    Free Member

Lifer – Impy Stout would be circa £4.50 per bottle.

See this is what confuses me in what makes up a unit of alcohol 😕

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

See this is what confuses me in what makes up a unit of alcohol

1unit = 10ml

So 330ml x 10% = 33ml = 3.3 units = £1.35 (ish)

matt_bl
    Free Member

In the UK 10ml of alcohol is one unit. Other countries use grams I think. About 20-30% difference.

Matt

[EDIT – Too slow by half]

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

I played the Star Wars Storm Trooper game with a bottle of Frosty Jack once…

I think I lost about 2 days of my life afterwards…

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who don’t know what the Star Wars Storm Trooper game is… It’s nasty!

dooosuk
    Free Member

You can get decent ones? Where?

In Manchester Binners, in Manchester.

binners

Hurray!!! If I took any decent E’s nowadays, I’d probably have a massive coronary!!!

D0NK

‘Blastways’

chuckles, I remember those at uni. In one.

price per unit might level the playing field for those microbrewers who can’t compete on scale, normal boring lager will cost similar to niche stuff so plenty of people will give it a go, but as tinas said stella etc will put their prices up to reflect the change. If government put a minimum 100k price on cars porsche and ferrari wouldn’t flog their cars for the same price as a ford focus would they?

binners

‘Blastways’

I remember them well from Uni. They could (and frequently were) also be easily turned into ‘Fastaways’ with the simple addition of a gram of speed

randomjeremy
    Free Member

This won’t make a blind bit of difference apart from boosting the black market. The people this is aimed at already buy their booze and fags out the back of dodgy dave’s van anyway….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Since when could you find a bottle of drinkable red wine for £2.99? Surely a better policy would be to reduce the cost of fine wines, so that at the very least our boozy youth could have a cultured palette?

I’ll be brewing my own ales soon… 🙂

wwaswas

so a maximum per unit cost too then?

bigsi
    Free Member

Barstewards have been ripping me off then 😯

😆

giantonagiant

We used to refer to Snake Bite and Black, as ‘Diesel’.

Variations were the “Turbo Diesel’ or the ‘Turbo Diesel Injection’. (Shots of Vodka and/or Whisky).

The following day, if ‘enough’ had been drunk, all inevitably gave the drinker what was known as ‘The Diesel Grin’. i.e. You looked like The Joker.

Other favourites were:

‘Hard Man’s Shandy’ – Heldenbrau Super and Hooch/Two Dogs.

And pints of ‘Moretti’ and Value Lemonade. For those of you not familiar with Moretti, it was Morrisons own label Martini. Absolutely vile.

Twas all money well spent……

emsz
    Free Member

randomjeremy, that’s what I said, makes these sort of things laughable. I don’t think Cameron has any idea how most of us get our booze.

binners

Emsz? Are you implying that some of the good folk of the forum may interact occasionally with frightful criminal types?! Someone fetch my parasol! I feel faint

Lifer
    Free Member

bigsi – Member

How have you got that? 11 units, so around 33% stout? Doesn’t sound enjoyable at any price!

duckman

Blue mountains in Dundee; bottle of K cider and a can of red stripe crucial brew. You could tell the group of lads drinking it as we would all be fighting each other after a couple of them. 😳

samuri
    Free Member

Earlier this week I returned home from the shops to find two gentlemen stood in front of my drive, arguing. This presented me with an issue as I wished to enter my drive. I waited a short while before nudging my horn but they were, for the most part, oblivious to the rest of the world.

To avoid any further delays I decided to park on the road and drive in once their dispute had been settled. As I got out of the car the argument changed into a pushing match and with one of the aforementioned gentlemen being much larger than the other, this could only go one way.

Soon there was one small gentleman sprawled across the road, and one larger gentleman stood over him. Another casualty of this incident was a large bottle of White Lightning which as I watched, began emptying it’s life blood onto the road.

Things had suddenly turned serious.

Difference forgotten, the two men scrambled back to the bottle, quickly and in unison righted it and carefully found and re-attached the bottle top. The smaller gentleman held the bottle while the larger one ensured the cap was on nice and tight. 4 hands held the now slightly lighter bottle, comforted in it’s weight.

“That was your effing fault” shrieked the smaller one.
    “Nah it effing wasn’t” cried the larger, “you dropped the effing thing”

The fight was back on.

binners

😆

I’ve witnessed a similar altercation, possibly even involving the same combatants, outside a pub in Stockport at 9.30 in the morning.

In some ways, I have a sort of sneaking admiration for someone who has the constitution to wade in to a bottle of White and Frightening, or a can of Special Brew. I suspect it may that kind of unswerving commitment that made this country great

matt_bl
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    randomjeremy, that’s what I said, makes these sort of things laughable. I don’t think Cameron has any idea how most of us get our booze.

I think most might be an exageration. If this isn’t useful or a step in the right direction, what should he do?

Matt

bigsi
    Free Member

Lifer you misunderstand me. You asked “how much was Impy Stout now” to which i replied “circa £4.50” which is how much it currently costs. Nothing to do with % etc.

Drac

Well I deal with these so called binge drinkers, they’re a nuisance for sure. However, most of them are a nuisance to their selves only and make their way home. Then there’s those who have a bit of scrap or cat fight. This has always been the case it’s not new.

Now there is a trend of drinking into oblivion, the odd one genuinely gets it wrong they get carried away and overdose on the stuff. If it’s accidental I have genuine concern for them a foolish mistake. There’s those that aim to do it though and get themselves into a horrible mess, at one time their friends took them home to sleep it off. Now though they let them wander off, they either fall over in a heap or bystanders see them and call for our help.

Will this stop them, well probably not they tend to be the ones with expendable income and not just teenagers or young adults, I pick up people in their 40s 50s or even older. They all have the same thing in common though, enough cash to spend on drink they won’t care what the price is.

The introduction of minimum will probably reduce the amount who want to go out for a quiet drink and get merrily drunk. It’ll cost more to do that and at a time pub trade is falling it’s those that’ll reduce.

They’re tackling it the wrong way, the answer? I’m not sure but fining people for getting into a drunken state needs to be enforced.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Bottle of White Lightning anyone?’ is closed to new replies.