Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 'Bottle-mount' battery holder?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’m sure this question has been answered before but it’s beyond my search skills so…

Anyone know of a nice, neat battery holder that will bolt on instead of a bottle holder? Yes, I know I can just sling the battery pack in an old bottle and put the bottle in a cage but I was hoping for something a bit smarter that doesn’t have the battery pack bouncing around in the bottle.

smudge
    Free Member

Fill the bottle with Bubble wrap to stop it bouncing around?

Only thing with bolting to frame is its not really quick and easy to fit and remove after each ride. Plus being in the bottle or pouch gives the battery extra protection against the elements in the position it will be placed in on the bike.

wwaswas

My Lupine lamp uses a bottle mounted battery – it has a moulded polystyrene bit inside to hold it but I’m sure you could just substitute something else.

I’d use some sealant on the bottle lid and where the cable enters as water tends to run down the cable into the bottle if the seal’s not good.

I’ve taken the battery out the bottle and used one of those ‘triathlon jelly bean holder’ things mounted under the TT when I’ve wanted to use the bottle holder for water.

cookeaa

Here’s my old faithful solution:

It’s a 750ml storage bottle with an intermediate section of cable made up to go between the battery and light, hole drilled in the lid with a grommet which keeps the water out and allows the cable to be fed in/out to allow more or less cable to mount the light, means I can carry a spare battery pack (4×18650 type) and some other bits and pad it out with bubble wrap or old socks to minimise rattling.

That’s done three winters now and not let a single battery pack get wet…

you could probably do something similar with a wide neck bottle, carefully drill the centre out of the bite valve perhaps and add a bit of silicone perhaps…

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Nice job cookeaa, in fact I’ve been meaning to rebuild my battery pack and have a spare bottle cage, so I’m going to try something similar.

I’ve been tempted to try some other connectors also, but haven’t had much luck finding any waterproof ones, but I’ll see how I get on with the existing ones.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘'Bottle-mount' battery holder?’ is closed to new replies.