Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottle Cage – big bottle advice..
  • Boris01
    Free Member

Wondered if any of you carry a 1000ml bottle on your bikes and if so, which cage is capable of carrying such a beast?

Cheers

Jon

scaredypants

there’s a topeak one that adjusts for long bottles I think – not sure about “girth” 😉

whytetrash

any standard cage takes the SIS 1L bottles fella..any good bike shop (road orientated stocks them)

druidh
    Free Member

Avoid the very short cages – like these

I found that a full 750ml bottle would jump out easily.

I’ve replaced mine with the Specialized Rib Cage

Which is deeper and grips the indentation on the standard bottle shape.

Boris01
    Free Member

all about the girth isn’t it… heh heh

so that rib cage would take the biggie you think?

james
    Free Member

I don’t tend to use the bottle cage and camelbak at the same time, unless its an all day ride. Sometimes its nice to leave the camelbak behind. 1L of water gets me round a short loop for am hour or so. I can carry everything I need but my pump with me

It is all about the girth

Some 1L bottles are the same diameter as other bike bottles (like most 750 and 500ml ones) like this one:

whereas some are too big like this SIS 1L one:

I use the MTB version of that specialized one as it looks ‘cooler’ was about £6 and somethign like 35g, the weight of some carbon ones:

It will only take standard diameter bottles (so not the 1L SIS one (SIS do a 900ishml one too which I thought was 1L), but the fully closed loop and generally good ‘bottle support’ means a full 1L bottle doesn’t fall out. Pretty much every bottle cage I’ve used is fine with 1L bottles, though apart from a side entry bontrager one they’ve all had a full loop around the bottle

Boris01
    Free Member

brilliant, this helps enormously – cheers for the advice

enfht
    Free Member

I squeeze my SIS 1 L into a “normal” size cage and it’s only fallen out once on a really bumpy downhill.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk are worth a look

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bontrager race lite cages are pretty secure too, though I’ve not tried a 1L bottle in mine. Cheap too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottle Cage – big bottle advice..’ is closed to new replies.